Black and White Heniochus

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning. Recently(Yesterday) acquired one. Looking for everyones personal experience with them in your Tank. What type tank did you have? (FO, Fowlr, reef) if reef did they eat your coral/ inverts? And what ones. How did they eat for you and what? How long have you had them? Would really like personal experiences, thanks.

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't believe it was listed so looked it up. No expert but, pretty sure it's the acuminatus.

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had one, but have heard that they can only be kept with SPS because they'll pick at LPS and soft corals.
I have seen lots of lists saying unsafe and also have seen them in some videos of reefs. So hoping to narrow down what they are most prone to pick at. Did see clams are targets but wasn't planning on trying those anyway.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CC5BC2FB-E686-4797-9CBB-3E678C290201.jpeg

They are fantastic fish. I have only had them in a FOWLR, so I can’t address coral-munching, but mine LOVE a frozen mussel (crack a hole into the shell) each day. They eat pellets, cut up pieces of frozen shrimp, even flakes (just as a treat). I will try to get a photo of my Singularis— beat up my other type of Bannerfish, however.

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CC5BC2FB-E686-4797-9CBB-3E678C290201.jpeg

They are fantastic fish. I have only had them in a FOWLR, so I can’t address coral-munching, but mine LOVE a frozen mussel (crack a hole into the shell) each day. They eat pellets, cut up pieces of frozen shrimp, even flakes (just as a treat). I will try to get a photo of my Singularis— beat up my other type of Bannerfish, however.
Thanks for your reply. Mine is already eating and picking at the lr I put in thee. Will have to remove rock in a couple day when I start the copper.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some subtle differences between heniochus acuminiatus and heniochus diphreutes. Google it or R2R search it. But you do not have a singularis— for one, it’s black band would not stop at the eye but would continue extending downward all the way to the chin. ;)

Useful_Idiot

Artificially Intelligent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20191214_141211.jpg

Mixed reef, got him when he was about the size of a half dollar a 18 months ago. He didn't pick on anything in the frag tank so went into the display. Doesn't bother candy canes, favia, blasto, pectina. He devours apstaisa. And picks the sweepers off my red acro ALL DAY which I hate. Always been fed 4+ times a day. Great fish I'll keep it as long as I can but does cause me some concern.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Had singularis and it ate over 80 zoas in ONE night. needless to say, it was placed in acclimation box and rehomed IMMEDIATELY.

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20191214_141211.jpg

Mixed reef, got him when he was about the size of a half dollar a 18 months ago. He didn't pick on anything in the frag tank so went into the display. Doesn't bother candy canes, favia, blasto, pectina. He devours apstaisa. And picks the sweepers off my red acro ALL DAY which I hate. Always been fed 4+ times a day. Great fish I'll keep it as long as I can but does cause me some concern.
Beautiful. I hope my grows to look this nice.

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. He has turned out to be a bully I thought they were suppose to be a passive fish as long as it wasn't same kind. He was biting my Kole tang that is smaller then he is. Had to divide the qt.
20191215_160802.jpg
QT. Spots were not there before and caught him doing it.
20191215_162303.jpg

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice size QT. But as all QTs tend to be, purposely sparse, so I think when you get them into your DT will all the rock work, things will settle down. It looks like the Bannerfish was trying to lay an initial claim to that whole QT. (Lol). Congrats on two nice looking fish. For me, Yellow Eyed Kole Tangs are a 'must have' and Banners are cool beyond belief.

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice size QT. But as all QTs tend to be, purposely sparse, so I think when you get them into your DT will all the rock work, things will settle down. It looks like the Bannerfish was trying to lay an initial claim to that whole QT. (Lol). Congrats on two nice looking fish. For me, Yellow Eyed Kole Tangs are a 'must have' and Banners are cool beyond belief.
Thank you. There's also a small hippo on the kole side. So far they are getting along but they were in hiding most of the time so we will see. We were already taking a chance with him going in a reef but I can't chance him hurting my tangs. We are discussing rehoming him when he's done with QT. Afraid of him getting in the DT and being a big bully and can't get him out.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size (dimensions/gallons) is the DT? Happen to have a photo?

and remember — my theory, anyway— ANY fish can come out... just use the ‘low tide method’ and they have no choice :D

OP
OP
mcbdz

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size (dimensions/gallons) is the DT? Happen to have a photo?

and remember — my theory, anyway— ANY fish can come out... just use the ‘low tide method’ and they have no choice :D
It's a 240gal 8x2x2 feet. Oh, we have broken the tank down before, That is why we QT everything that is wet now cause we are getting too old and said we have to be sure before we put it in cause it has to stay. HAHA. I'm getting old, I'm short and round. Picture a teeter totter. HAHA!
20191215_191009.jpg

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back