"Black Boxes"

Justin Johns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered some "black box" led's for my 55. I'm currently running a 36 inch current orbit USA led's at 90% and dual t5 ho 54watt light. What is a good way to acclimate the tank with the new lights. I run my led's 9hrs a day and the t5 for 6.5 hrs a day. The tank is a very mixed reef tank, everthing from toad stools to sps. Thanks for your help.

shane91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if this is the best way to do it. But I had no choice and everything turned out fine. When my old lights burnt out. I picked up a black box led from my lfs. I was dark two days on my tank. I ran it 25% on both white and blue. And bumped it up by 10% percent each till roughly 75% after 5 days. I took it slow. Also bumped the lighting by 1-2 hours longer each day also. First day I started at 4 hours. I have a very mixed tank from zoa, lips,sps and the only thing that didn't like it was a hammer

OP
OP
Justin Johns

Justin Johns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help! Here is a pic of my tank will update after I get the new lights up and running.

1130151354_HDR~2.jpg

OP
OP
Justin Johns

Justin Johns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I got the tank In September this year and have done a lot of husbandry to get it to where it is now, just wish it was predrilled. And about 100 more gals than it is now. Lol

OP
OP
Justin Johns

Justin Johns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your guys opion how high off the water should the lights be?? I've been told like 12 inches off the water. What can I put on top of my tank so that my gobys don't jump out. Already lost a diamond because their was a 2 inch gab in back.

Thunt4jr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your guys opion how high off the water should the lights be?? I've been told like 12 inches off the water. What can I put on top of my tank so that my gobys don't jump out. Already lost a diamond because their was a 2 inch gab in back.

Mine is 16 inches high off the water. You can buy a reptile screen that will fit on top of your tank.

Thunt4jr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine is 16 inches high off the water. You can buy a reptile screen that will fit on top of your tank.

shane91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The few I have array different heights two at 12 inches 1 at 16 and another only 9 inches

OP
OP
Justin Johns

Justin Johns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be putting 2 165w over it. Guess I'll have to play with it and see what works best. :)

xavier009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan in putting mine at about 12 inches high. Although i plan on leaving enough room to make it adjustable if need be.

SB Reef Lights

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sweet spot for least brace shadowing seems to be 14" for most tanks. BRS sells a nice screen kit that will not block much light. Avoid using eggcrate it will not only block light, but create a silo effect leading to disco lights on the sand.

Make sure to start the lights very low, then work up watching corals for sings of bleaching. I would start at 25%w and 45%B, then go up 5% a week.

OP
OP
Justin Johns

Justin Johns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sweet spot for least brace shadowing seems to be 14" for most tanks. BRS sells a nice screen kit that will not block much light. Avoid using eggcrate it will not only block light, but create a silo effect leading to disco lights on the sand.

Make sure to start the lights very low, then work up watching corals for sings of bleaching. I would start at 25%w and 45%B, then go up 5% a week.
Thanks!! I can't wait till these lights show up so I can see what they look like on my tank.

shane91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike should that be relatively a standard for switching to led? And you make lights??

SB Reef Lights

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shane, pretty standard, however initial intensity can depend on a lot of things so watch corals closely. Although most black boxes have 55 diodes, PAR and more importantly PUR can vary greatly.

Also the previous lighting, type of corals and placement are important. Always better to start low and work up. If too low, corals will brown out. A brown coral is a healthy coral, it will regain color as you move up in power. However if too high, bleaching can happen overnight, and few corals return from bleaching.

Once issue with many black boxes is they have a ton of blue light. Your eyes are not as sensitive to blue as yellow and green, so often new users crank the blue channel up and torch their corals too quickly. Even most PAR meters don;t read LEDs well, for example the Apogee meter looses sensitivity quickly below 470nm wavelengths.

I do make custom premium black box leds. Not all black boxes are created equal. I wanted an affordable box that could compete with high end trendy lights in PAR and PUR, at half or less the price.

shane91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you message me Mike for some odd reason I can't pm you.

SB Reef Lights

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Until my vendor account is live I can not message people. Should be up very soon. I am on facebook also.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back