Black Brittle Starfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so yesterday, I went to my LFS who tested my water and I got a blue lincktia and two Trochus snails to help with algae, anyway, from out of nowhere he came out with a black brittle starfish and he said he got it has a hitchhiker (We cannot get them here in Australia) so I was bloody excited. But I did some research and it says it is reef safe with caution and that it is semi aggressive. Will he hurt fish or coral or should I keep him well fed?

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only brittle stars I've had issues with are the large green ones. Unless this is a different species, a regular black brittle star shouldn't be a problem. Do you have a picture of it?

Texas Rick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one. He hide for the most part. Not aggressive forwards my fish or coral. Left them alone. Very shy, well the one I had was.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only brittle stars I've had issues with are the large green ones. Unless this is a different species, a regular black brittle star shouldn't be a problem. Do you have a picture of it?
As soon as I put him in he disappeared under a rock, darn spooky Patrick, He is small though

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger ones are supposedly nocturnal predators on fish, although I can't recall ever actually hearing of any fish casualties to them

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger ones are supposedly nocturnal predators on fish, although I can't recall ever actually hearing of any fish casualties to them
They do live for a long time so maybe it will be a while before he is large and he will hopefully get along with the fish and invert

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a micro brittle star then you don't have anything to worry about. I think I started with one or two that hitchhiked in some live rock and I probably have hundreds now. They are great members of the clean up crew, don't bother anything and are actually really fun to spot feed.

OP
OP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a micro brittle star then you don't have anything to worry about. I think I started with one or two that hitchhiked in some live rock and I probably have hundreds now. They are great members of the clean up crew, don't bother anything and are actually really fun to spot feed.
He is pretty small maybe 9-10cm including arms

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.4%
Back