Black Clown Goby, Coral safe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter uhgster1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

uhgster1

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 2, 2015
Messages
993
Reaction score
1,535
Location
Clarksville, TN
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I'm observing slightly disturbing behavior from my black clown goby. It has decided to perch on one of my acan colonies and I saw it do what appeared to be nipping at the colony. Should I be concerned? It obviously irritates the colony and makes it retract but when it opens I don't see obvious signs of damage. Any experiences out there? Is this going to escalate? I like the little guy but the acan is much more valuable than he is.
 
Clown gobies can irritate acro corals. They use them to make an area for eggs so they will kill little areas off. This in the wild is not big deal, but in our tanks, if your colony is small or fragile, it can damage it pretty badly. I had a pair that were on my staghorn for years. Small 1" patch cleaned away for egg laying and rest of coral great.

They are usually eating the mucous and the slime and bugs around the coral, not the coral. However, their perching as said can be a problem.
 
Clown gobies will irritate corals from their perching habits but I don't believe it was intentionally nipping at the coral, it might have seen something that looked like food on the coral and went after that. Clown gobies will kill sections of SPS corals like birsdnest but I've never heard of them irritating LPs corals to the point of death.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new