Black ick

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was me. I still don’t recommend it but I did it! Cuprisorb and carbon and a lot of time and giant water changes and new media :)

Yeah thought was you ^_^
Yeah I read you dont recomend it but it can be done and maybe someone in a week or a year reads this and then better than me finds the thread if they dosed copper into display without knowing dangerous to inverts or by accident and needs to know a good way to remove the copper .
.originally was to op here as saying wanted to dose copper to dt and also have corals/ inverts at later date so thought may help them also.
Thanks for reply and I'm pretty sure I never will dose copper to my dt ,seems like to much work to remove it when simpler to just remove fish even if means removing all rock pffft

OP
OP
Daniel225

Daniel225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contacted customer support for ruby rally and ordered a air pump but mainly just wanted to upload video of goby strange behaviour

madlos123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see black ich in either of these images. Turbellarians do not respond to praziquantel. They also don't cause rapid breathing. The best treatments for black ich/turbellarians are FW dips or formalin dips, and then move to a clean tank.

I'm worried that the rapidly breathing fish here have a gill infection, most likely velvet.

Jay
Sorry for the late reply. In this video it looks like they are breathing fast because I just transferred the fish in a new QT tank and they are all got spooked. Its been almost 2 weeks and the spots don't seem to disappear even after 2 doses of Prazipro. They are all still alive and been eating very well with frozen mysis shrimp and putting some weight. Breathing is normal. Should I do a freshwater dip?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the late reply. In this video it looks like they are breathing fast because I just transferred the fish in a new QT tank and they are all got spooked. Its been almost 2 weeks and the spots don't seem to disappear even after 2 doses of Prazipro. They are all still alive and been eating very well with frozen mysis shrimp and putting some weight. Breathing is normal. Should I do a freshwater dip?
Two scenarios here:

1) as I said, praziquantel doesn't work on turbellarians, despite what you will hear. Not all black spots on fish are turbellarians, rarely, some are digenean trematodes, prazi can work on those.
2) the black spots on fish are often melanin produced by the fish as a reaction to the parasite, turbellarians themselves are clearish white. In some cases, the parasites' are dead, but the black spots remain for some time (think scar tissue).

Formalin is tough to get. Therefore, if you suspect turbellarians, a FW dip and moving to a clean tank is the next option.

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back