Black leopard wrasse

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My back leopard is going through this transition as well. Is it just becoming an adult female or do they change genders?
There are not a lot of information of Black Leopard available with a quick search. However I was able to find an article by Lemon TeaYK with a few lines on Black Leopard. In this article, there are pictures of male and female black Leopard.
The picture of Lemon TeaYK attached below.
I am not sure about this. From observing my Male Black Leopard, he switch from the suppose female to male in the picture below. He looks like the first picture when he is not excited and more like the second when he is excited.
It is possible the Lemon TeaYK is wrong.

According to Lemon TeaYK here is the female:
blackleopardfemalelemon22-jpg.1142878

And here is the male:
blackleopardmalelemon23-jpg.1142879

My pictures. Male when he is not excited, and when he is in is excited:
Baseline coloration male:
blackleopardwrasse2019072702malenonexcitedstate-jpg.1142940

Nuptial coloration male, same fish:
blackleopardwrasse2019070910male-jpg.1142939

I will try add my male to my DT using acclimation box. Will see how the resident fish react to him in the acclimation box. Add or not depends on how they interact.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have my new male and female in QT. Both are doing well and gaining a lot of weight. I wanted to put them in my DT but have not have the time to catch them. I was not in a hurry, but that maybe a mistake that will cost me. My female in the DT is changing.
Here is a picture of her before and one from this AM.
4/18/2019
BlackLeopardWrasse2019041801.jpg

5/26/2019
BlackLeopardWrasse2019052601.jpg

7/28/2019
BlackLeopardWrasse2019072801Changing.jpg
This fish is exactly how mine looks and has transitioned. The pics you just posted are gorgeous but I haven’t seen mine become that bright yet.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Lemon TeaYK pictures are pictures of two males, with one of the two was under nuptial coloration.
Try to get a female into your tank, or a mirror on the side of the tank, you will see the nuptial coloration of your male.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please chime in everybody who keep Black Leopard. A picture of you male and female would be great.
One of the way you can see nuptial color of your wrasse is put up a mirror to the side of your tank. Works very well, a lot less trouble than adding a female and get them to spawn. A lot easier too.

Wolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my new 1" baby... hes in qt atm being observed... so far shes eating frozen food and foraging around the algae and rocks...hoping theres no worms but have medication onhand incase.. beautiful fish cant wait for her to hit the DT where theres loads of pods

20190801_173555.jpg 20190801_173549.jpg 20190801_113923.jpg 20190801_113920.jpg

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pictures currently, but someone should like or comment on this so I gave a notification later and I'll get a picture if my female. She came in a trio I ordered from live aquaria. One was DOA and another died within 24 hours. The third, my Noir, made it thru 3 weeks of QT with general cure and dosing pods then into my display. She ignored frozen for about 3 months then one day, just decided it was food and has been a pig ever since. Even eats nori on the clip. I also have a meleagris female and would like to add to my leopard collection. My favorite of the wrasse.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^
Sounds like both of those are on the right track! Let us know how they do.

Went shopping this week and picked up two copperbands, a starry blenny, four possum wrasses, and a black leopard.
The two copperbands are in quarantine and picking at rocks. All of the others went straight into my display. As expected the leopard immediately darted into the sand. It came out for about 30 minutes before the lights went out.
The starry blennies are doing great. They follow each other around the tank often. No aggression from either one so far.
I separated one of the possum wrasses since it was being harassed by my Talbots damsel. The others seem to be doing well and are picking at the rocks.
I’ll try to get some pictures this week.

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^
Sounds like both of those are on the right track! Let us know how they do.

Went shopping this week and picked up two copperbands, a starry blenny, four possum wrasses, and a black leopard.
The two copperbands are in quarantine and picking at rocks. All of the others went straight into my display. As expected the leopard immediately darted into the sand. It came out for about 30 minutes before the lights went out.
The starry blennies are doing great. They follow each other around the tank often. No aggression from either one so far.
I separated one of the possum wrasses since it was being harassed by my Talbots damsel. The others seem to be doing well and are picking at the rocks.
I’ll try to get some pictures this week.

Had to put one of the copperbands down today. One of the possum wrasses didn’t make it but all the others are eating well.
Hate how sloppy clove oil is. Has anyone used MS-222?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I was supposed to post a picture... I tried the other night and managed to get one halfway decent one. They are all so fast...

This is Noir, my black leopard. Behind her is Shadow, my dusky fairy wrasse. He's not chasing her they are just swimming together because it was feeding time and they all swim in the same place all frantically waiting on food.

20190801_161145.jpg

Wolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did u qt your black wrasse robin? If so was it observation or did u medicate?

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll try to get some pictures of the new leopard tonight. She’s been coming out between 6pm-9pm and constantly picks on the rocks during that time. I’ve offered live and frozen food but no luck so far.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did u qt your black wrasse robin? If so was it observation or did u medicate?
She spent 2 weeks in QT, it was more a FOWLR set up as I had sand and live rock in there. Specially set up just for a trio of black leopards I got from live aquaria. One came in DOA and another died within 24 hours. This one made it tho. In that time I treated for flukes and internal parasites with General Cure and fed pods with the Reef Nutrition tisbe pods. After 2 weeks she went into my display. For three months she ate nothing but the pods my refugium produced, plus a slurry of phyto, pods and brine I got from a LFS at a swap. They called it "reef lemonade." After three months, she just decided to eat LRS one day, and has been for the last 8 months or so.

Last edited:

Wolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh kk great.... my issue is in australia we dont have anything to treat internally for parasites we do have stuff for external such as blue planet fluke and flat worm meds which is added to the water ... mine isnt showing any signs of sickness yet... the shop had her for a week and ive had her for a week shes looking healthy eating frozen food with a few live ampipods thrown in..i dont want to add any meds unless i have to... how long would internal worms/stringy poo take to show up?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metronizole is unavailable? That's the internal one. Paraziquantel is the one for flukes. API General Cure contains both, but metro really work best if it's injested.

Both maybe able to be obtained from a veterinarian if you explained what you were using them for? They are simple over the counter here in the states.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long would internal worms/stringy poo take to show up?

I would think you should see it pretty quickly if affected. I treat profilacticly because of how common it is. In any case the fish won't perish over night from them. You see it slowly losing weight from the parasites robbing nutrition.

Wolla

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks robin for the reply.... yeah metro is only obtainable from vets here and they wont give it out for fish apprently after speaking to a few today.... the parazi we get here.... asked a few fish shops and seems i can use it to soak food in it and apply it that way as well as to the water.... dunno how well it will work.... thanks again

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks robin for the reply.... yeah metro is only obtainable from vets here and they wont give it out for fish apprently after speaking to a few today.... the parazi we get here.... asked a few fish shops and seems i can use it to soak food in it and apply it that way as well as to the water.... dunno how well it will work.... thanks again
Well that sucks. Hopefully you won't need it.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are not a lot of information of Black Leopard available with a quick search. However I was able to find an article by Lemon TeaYK with a few lines on Black Leopard. In this article, there are pictures of male and female black Leopard.
The picture of Lemon TeaYK attached below.
I am not sure about this. From observing my Male Black Leopard, he switch from the suppose female to male in the picture below. He looks like the first picture when he is not excited and more like the second when he is excited.
It is possible the Lemon TeaYK is wrong.

According to Lemon TeaYK here is the female:
blackleopardfemalelemon22-jpg.1142878

And here is the male:
blackleopardmalelemon23-jpg.1142879

My pictures. Male when he is not excited, and when he is in is excited:
Baseline coloration male:
blackleopardwrasse2019072702malenonexcitedstate-jpg.1142940

Nuptial coloration male, same fish:
blackleopardwrasse2019070910male-jpg.1142939

I will try add my male to my DT using acclimation box. Will see how the resident fish react to him in the acclimation box. Add or not depends on how they interact.
All those photos feature males.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All those photos feature males.
I agree with you.

Petco, yes Petco, in Corpus Christi have two female Black Leopard come in yesterday. Both in great shape, not thin and are eating well. It I don't already have several Black Leopard already, I would get them. 39.99 each
blackleopard-petco-jpg.1156555

OP
OP
TvanB1

TvanB1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I returned from a two week vacation two days ago and unfortunately haven’t seen my male since. The juvenile is still doing well.
On a much higher note my starry blenny laid her first clutch last night. Might take a shot at raising these eventually.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back