Black Neon Dottyback vs Electric Indigo Dottyback

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which one do you like more and think would be better suited to a more peaceful 20g tank? Or would I be better off avoiding this family and going with a goby?
In it already are:
- BCG (Black version of the YCG)
- Yasha Goby
- Linear Blenny
- Pink streak wrasse
And what I want to add:
- Yellow head jawfish
- A different fish (Yet to be decided on)

Electric Indigo Dottybacks (Sankey x Orchid)
F43E4770-93C6-4A0D-8E23-6F7D6266BF63.jpeg

Black Neon Dottyback (Springer’s x Neon)
1B3981B8-8C34-416A-8BBA-71C120F60714.jpeg

Last edited:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In a 20g I probably would skip them altogether and look for something more peaceful. There are a lot of peaceful nano fish to choose from. Neon or sharknose goby, trimma gobies, yasha or small shrimp gobies, wheelers, etc. Assessors are great, geometric perchlet (hawkfish/anthias), striped cardinals. Check out ORA’s list and Biota’s as well.
In nano tanks, I prefer smaller fish instead of a couple larger ones. Especially if you can add fish to each zone, which makes for a very active tank. Just food for thought.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 20g I probably would skip them altogether and look for something more peaceful. There are a lot of peaceful nano fish to choose from. Neon or sharknose goby, trimma gobies, yasha or small shrimp gobies, wheelers, etc. Assessors are great, geometric perchlet (hawkfish/anthias), striped cardinals. Check out ORA’s list and Biota’s as well.
In nano tanks, I prefer smaller fish instead of a couple larger ones. Especially if you can add fish to each zone, which makes for a very active tank. Just food for thought.
Yeah I love the different gobies because of how different they are. my Black Clown is more of the water column swimmer, my Yasha is a sand bed fish, my blenny is more of a perching fish, my wrasse tends to hide in the rocks more. I’m mainly after a fish that won’t hide as much and has some nice colouring (Why I like YHJ’s so much - Their fins are iridescent blue and the bodies are white with the yellow head).

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with the 2 you mentioned. I do have a pair of orchid dottybacks though, which are considered to be more peaceful. They add a lot of color and are very fun to watch. Pictures don't do them justice imo. So far they ignore their tankmates completely...

20220111_111931.jpg

Would be a nice eyecatcher if I'm looking at your stocklist.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with the 2 you mentioned. I do have a pair of orchid dottybacks though, which are considered to be more peaceful. They add a lot of color and are very fun to watch. Pictures don't do them justice imo. So far they ignore their tankmates completely...

20220111_111931.jpg

Would be a nice eyecatcher if I'm looking at your stocklist.
The electric indigo is 75% sankeyi and 25% Orchid so in theory it should be a rather peaceful dottyback and has both of their colours that contrast nicely. I’m definitely caught by the purple of the Orchid!

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The electric indigo is 75% sankeyi and 25% Orchid so in theory it should be a rather peaceful dottyback and has both of their colours that contrast nicely. I’m definitely caught by the purple of the Orchid!
Hmm. I'm not sure how aggressive the sankeyi is. Personally I wouldn't take the chance in a 20 gallon, unless it's a peaceful species. A solo orchid wouldn't cause any major issues I think, especially if you get a small one.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. :) Any spawning behavior and how long have you had them for?
Only about a month now. They were shy for the first 2 weeks, but have claimed a nice little territory now and are out all the time. They hang around the right side of the tank most of the time together with a tailspot blenny and 2 damsels.

Haven't seen any spawning behavior yet. Fortunately there's no aggression between them!

csnv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh man.. neon dottyback :)... demon from hell. i love the colors but he's currently inside isolation box for the second time, first time he killed 1 shrimp and my scissortail within 2 days. second time, he chased my lyretail anthias to the overflow corner so i had to catch him again.. it's a pain. i'm going to ask to get him back to lfs.

Rednamalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably skip both, but if I had to choose, it would definitely be the indigo. Both of the striped dottyback and orchid are fairly peaceful, but the springers and especially the neon dottyback are both known to be highly aggressive.

Back