Blasterman's 'junk in the trunk' 10 gal

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several tanks, but due to apt living have had to ditch my bigger tanks for smaller tanks, and like to experiment so I've switched to nanos. This SPS weed patch started out in a 5 gal, but I moved it to a 10 gal a few months ago. This is a side shot showing the goofy mess of SPS I've thrown in there. Pretty much everything less than 6 momths old and growing from tiny frags.

The other side, which is not directly under my Mars Aqua is Palys and Zoas and a frogspawn.

The only thing that doesn't grow well in there is acans. However, my experience with acans is they like to be kept with other acans or not in densely competitive tanks. Everything else grows like nutz. The blue digis are out of control. I now just throw broken frags to my cat to play with vs mount them anymore. I have some bubble gums on the other side growing well but are much younger. Eventually I will move the bubble gums to this side and sell off the german blues. I have a couple of small birdnests in there that are a couple months old. They had only recently started to really take off after I grudgingly started adding P04 after it was non detectable.

I have a big blue stag acro growing in the middle and a few smaller varities. However, water flow is extremely difficult to keep from getting too directional in such a small tank and hence acros grow weird. The stag grows fat and bushy like a milli vs the conventional staghorn shape in my previous bigger tanks. . Plus, this tank is brutal on alk and calcium. So, the binge and purge manual dosing is a bit hard on acros as well. Until I move this to a bigger tank I'm not pushing acros, but will just keep the ones I have.

I keep everything growing in 1" tupperware trays where I keep full of crushed coral. This allows me to keep a BB tank but also the strata and biological filtering of crushed coral. It also means I can literally forklift all the corals to a bigger tank down the road and the ecology moves with it. No need for any biological cycle, I'll probably move the mess to a spare 20L. I just don't have the space for a really big tank.

I keep a single damsel in there, aka the low nutrient level. Small tanks are horrendously unstable in terms of nuisance algae outbreaks so I would rather add nutrients to taste than fret over how to remove them. I keep a bubble magus QQ1 skimmer on the back, but it doesn't have much to do other than pull out diatoms given its a young biology. My biggest nuisance is cat hair.

I keep the tank under plat glass to reduce evap. I maybe top off a gallon a week if that. Can't recall the last time I've done a water change.

now.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice work on an unconventional reef!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 23 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back