Bleached Nem

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to work with a bubble tip anemone for past few months or so and it's been quite difficult. It had recently gotten stuck in a powerhead for the third time and looked quite weary so I had to put it in my invert QT. Now it's lost a lot of its color so I'm worried it's bleached from all the stress. It has actually settled down in one spot and its mouth isn't gaping open so I guess that's a good sign? The problem is I don't know how to feed it because i try putting mysis on its tentacles and they just retract without sticking.Here are some pictures.
IMG_0932.jpg IMG_0931.jpg
Before adding my nem, the DT was up for around a year or so. It's a 125 gallon with a 20 gallon sump, a protein skimmer rated for a tank that size, and three Viparspectra 165 watts. I'm wondering if maybe I didn't have the correct settings on to properly light the nem? I currently have 65 for Channel 1 and 50 for Channel 2 but I changed it after removing the nem. Would these be good enough for a bubble tip?
1655149654884.png

Here it was when I first got it. I'd really like to nurse it back to health because I quite like it and I have some clownfish I'd love to see host it but it's been a real struggle.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, I like to use products like reef energy, fuel, AF energy, and other dissolved free form amino acids products (mixed with other things in them such as carbohydrates, fatty acids, etc.). These products are meant to replicate what is produce by zooxanthellae, and can be taken in through the tissue. they are also supposed to be less energetically demanding for the coral to use

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, I like to use products like reef energy, fuel, AF energy, and other dissolved free form amino acids products (mixed with other things in them such as carbohydrates, fatty acids, etc.). These products are meant to replicate what is produce by zooxanthellae, and can be taken in through the tissue. they are also supposed to be less energetically demanding for the coral to use
What specific one would you recommend in this case? Brightwell Aquatics CoralAmino seem fine? That work with nems too?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What specific one would you recommend in this case? Brightwell Aquatics CoralAmino seem fine? That work with nems too?

Yeah I think any you can get your hands on is better than none. However, I do like some with a little more than the aminos. I think brightwell coral restore is a bit better for this (I think thats the right one). The reason being that the zooxanthellae produces more than just aminos. If I had to pick, I'd go with any that says "contains aminos, carbs, and fatty acids"

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to work with a bubble tip anemone for past few months or so and it's been quite difficult. It had recently gotten stuck in a powerhead for the third time and looked quite weary so I had to put it in my invert QT. Now it's lost a lot of its color so I'm worried it's bleached from all the stress. It has actually settled down in one spot and its mouth isn't gaping open so I guess that's a good sign? The problem is I don't know how to feed it because i try putting mysis on its tentacles and they just retract without sticking.Here are some pictures.
IMG_0932.jpg IMG_0931.jpg
Before adding my nem, the DT was up for around a year or so. It's a 125 gallon with a 20 gallon sump, a protein skimmer rated for a tank that size, and three Viparspectra 165 watts. I'm wondering if maybe I didn't have the correct settings on to properly light the nem? I currently have 65 for Channel 1 and 50 for Channel 2 but I changed it after removing the nem. Would these be good enough for a bubble tip?
1655149654884.png

Here it was when I first got it. I'd really like to nurse it back to health because I quite like it and I have some clownfish I'd love to see host it but it's been a real struggle.
params and tank age? is the foot intact? How strong are the lights, and are they always that white? How strong is the powerhead, and can you screen it?

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
params and tank age? is the foot intact? How strong are the lights, and are they always that white? How strong is the powerhead, and can you screen it?
I already listed those in the above post.

"Before adding my nem, the DT was up for around a year or so. It's a 125 gallon with a 20 gallon sump, a protein skimmer rated for a tank that size, and three Viparspectra 165 watts. I'm wondering if maybe I didn't have the correct settings on to properly light the nem? I currently have 65 for Channel 1 and 50 for Channel 2 but I changed it after removing the nem. Would these be good enough for a bubble tip?"

Salinity's like 1.024 and I do 10% water changes weekly. I do have a screen, like one of those 3d printed nemguards and a foam cover but neither of them worked. It just kept getting sucked up because it was floating around the tank. I really don't know what's wrong and none of the purported anemone guard objects have prevented it from being sucked into the powerhead. It's done this like four times now. The powerhead is an mp40 ecotech btw.

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think any you can get your hands on is better than none. However, I do like some with a little more than the aminos. I think brightwell coral restore is a bit better for this (I think thats the right one). The reason being that the zooxanthellae produces more than just aminos. If I had to pick, I'd go with any that says "contains aminos, carbs, and fatty acids"
Wait I was also wondering if I need to dose zooxanthellae here too. Idk if my nem has completely discarded it all but it looks fairly ghostly white and idk if it can regain zooxanthellae even if I dose Coral Restor. Is this true or could it eventually regain it through dosing the amino acids?

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait I was also wondering if I need to dose zooxanthellae here too. Idk if my nem has completely discarded it all but it looks fairly ghostly white and idk if it can regain zooxanthellae even if I dose Coral Restor. Is this true or could it eventually regain it through dosing the amino acids?
1655272309469.jpeg

Here's a closer picture I took just today.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It wouldn't hurt. You can buy bottles of it.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't find anything that'd come within a reasonable period of time. I just need to know if it's ABSOLUTELY necessary at this point.

I don't think its a must have. I can't say whether or not tanks have much zooxanthellae in the water column (especially those with skimmers), but I don't think you need to panic. Feeding the anemone is more important at the moment.

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its a must have. I can't say whether or not tanks have much zooxanthellae in the water column (especially those with skimmers), but I don't think you need to panic. Feeding the anemone is more important at the moment.
Hrm alright. I actually transferred this one to a brand new QT tank. One that's around 5 gallons and uses a HOB filter. It's also being used to QT some snails as well. I don't have much wiggle room here, but I try to keep the parameters stable at least.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hrm alright. I actually transferred this one to a brand new QT tank. One that's around 5 gallons and uses a HOB filter. It's also being used to QT some snails as well. I don't have much wiggle room here, but I try to keep the parameters stable at least.

BTW if you would like some anemone safe powerheads, check out the sicce voyager.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already listed those in the above post.

"Before adding my nem, the DT was up for around a year or so. It's a 125 gallon with a 20 gallon sump, a protein skimmer rated for a tank that size, and three Viparspectra 165 watts. I'm wondering if maybe I didn't have the correct settings on to properly light the nem? I currently have 65 for Channel 1 and 50 for Channel 2 but I changed it after removing the nem. Would these be good enough for a bubble tip?"

Salinity's like 1.024 and I do 10% water changes weekly. I do have a screen, like one of those 3d printed nemguards and a foam cover but neither of them worked. It just kept getting sucked up because it was floating around the tank. I really don't know what's wrong and none of the purported anemone guard objects have prevented it from being sucked into the powerhead. It's done this like four times now. The powerhead is an mp40 ecotech btw.

How high off the tank are the lights?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back