Blenny confusion

Saltfishonly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys was at my LFS store today seen a really cool Blenny instantly fell in love with him my eye is on this little guy so I came home and want to research him before I bring him home

Everything I look up is giving me wrong info

The LFS store had him marks as Yellow Blenny when I look on YouTube or google all that pops up is gobys and these other small ones that grow maximum 2 or 3 inches...the one I saw at my LFS has to be at least almost 4 inches price was $50

Online they go for $12 I don’t know if I’m looking at the right species...I looked as much I could,I’m pretty sure the one I’m looking at is a Midas Blenny

Does any one have info or is there a thread about them ??

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A picture of fish in question would be most helpful

OP
OP
Saltfishonly

Saltfishonly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found out it’s a Midas Blenny,still can’t find anything informative about it though how often they eat how much etc...everything I need to just know him so when I bring him home I’m prepared

BAE28BEA-2332-4CD4-BA52-8028DD9BD5E2.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Midas are very hardy and eat smaller meaty foods, brine and mysis shrimp, algae and other greens and even flakes. They grow to about 6” and are quite peaceful except with other blennies.
Offer them hiding. Pretty fish as they mature

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas blennies are great fish. They aren't your average blenny though as they are an open water swimmer that eats out of the water column, more like an anthias than a blenny really which is why they partially mimic them.
If you are wanting a hardy easy to keep fish they are great but they won't help with any algae you have because they are a planktavore not herbivore.

They are a pretty cheap fish and 50 bucks sounds a lot.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$50 is pretty average for a Midas Blenny in my area and when looking for one online. It took me almost 6 months to find the one i wanted...an african midas blenny. It is the favorite fish in the tank... very peaceful but does show dominance tji other fish... loves swimming from hiding home to hiding hole all day long. They are listed as omnivores... I've seen mine tug at occasional algae, but rarely. She mainly eats meaty foods from the water column. When scared, they will turn brown in an instant.

OP
OP
Saltfishonly

Saltfishonly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$50 is pretty average for a Midas Blenny in my area and when looking for one online. It took me almost 6 months to find the one i wanted...an african midas blenny. It is the favorite fish in the tank... very peaceful but does show dominance tji other fish... loves swimming from hiding home to hiding hole all day long. They are listed as omnivores... I've seen mine tug at occasional algae, but rarely. She mainly eats meaty foods from the water column. When scared, they will turn brown in an instant.

Thanks,for the info I read some where they eat 2 to 3 times a day how would you just direct feed him? My clowns eat like pigs but surprisingly they don’t care for brine shrimp I was thinking about getting fish eggs do Midas like that too?

Also at that store I seen he has a barnacle shell nas his home I would want to get that to make him happy maybe? Or is that true they chew through the live rock to make a home?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Saltfishonly

Saltfishonly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas blennies are great fish. They aren't your average blenny though as they are an open water swimmer that eats out of the water column, more like an anthias than a blenny really which is why they partially mimic them.
If you are wanting a hardy easy to keep fish they are great but they won't help with any algae you have because they are a planktavore not herbivore.

They are a pretty cheap fish and 50 bucks sounds a lot.

I know..the LFS I got too honestly is the only one I trust in healthy fish,there is one store that has extremely low prices on everything but the fish look horrible..I just like going there to get additional things for my tank cause they are very friendly and give me extra deals on stuff I wish the fish was more healthy but o’well...I don’t mind the $50 I just got twisted when some one said they was $12 and only grow to 3 inch lol

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$50 seems mostly reasonable for a midas blenny, i think i paid $40 at my lfs for mine

they're awesome fish, highly recommend. some people say they're a bit aggressive which seems to be related to tank size.

and they can jump so a top is recommended.

feeding wise mine eats just about anything, but particularly enjoys small mysis

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,for the info I read some where they eat 2 to 3 times a day how would you just direct feed him? My clowns eat like pigs but surprisingly they don’t care for brine shrimp I was thinking about getting fish eggs do Midas like that too?

Also at that store I seen he has a barnacle shell nas his home I would want to get that to make him happy maybe? Or is that true they chew through the live rock to make a home?

I feed mine in the morning before work and then again in the evenings. But i used to only feed once a day and the blenny was very healthy.

Mine loves mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, and another frozen concoction that i get at petco that had a lot of different stuff in it. Just don't feed that clown for a day, and it will learn to love brine shrimp, lol. I never fed brine until i got my leopard wrasse... that's what i converted her to frozen on so just continued to use it occasionally... even now, the leopard eats anything frozen i throw in the tank.

I've never heard of them chewing through rock to make a hole! I have pukani Rick so there are lots of tiny hikers that he is able to fit into amazingly! During quarantine, he/she just hid in a corner to sleep... rarely used the pvc tubes in there! I'd be leary of adding anything else from the lfs into the tank due to possible parasites being attached to it. Your blenny will find a place to live easily in your tank. You won't go wrong with the midas Blenny... they are awesome fish!

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got twisted when some one said they was $12 and only grow to 3 inch

I've never seen a Midas Blenny for $12. I think whoever said that was probably mistaken and misread your post. They grow to around 6". Mine is about 4" in a 75g and seems to be staying at that size.

The African Midas blennies are more orange and peachy colored. I believe the real yellow ones come from the Maldives possibly...i forget the exact region of those!

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price confusion is because I don't live in the US. Over here I wouldn't expect to pay more than $20-30 for a midas. It's crazy how prices really differ, many of the cheap fish we have are expense for you guys and many of your cheap fish are very expensive here.
Even at 50 bucks they are a cracking fish though.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Midas blennies add a lot to the tank. They will swim with anthias. They are peaceful as a rule. But (as mentioned above by @mattzang )in too small a tank, they can show aggression (just defending food source territory).
They love to peek out of their bolt hole to check things . A very entertaining blenny.

OP
OP
Saltfishonly

Saltfishonly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine in the morning before work and then again in the evenings. But i used to only feed once a day and the blenny was very healthy.

Mine loves mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, and another frozen concoction that i get at petco that had a lot of different stuff in it. Just don't feed that clown for a day, and it will learn to love brine shrimp, lol. I never fed brine until i got my leopard wrasse... that's what i converted her to frozen on so just continued to use it occasionally... even now, the leopard eats anything frozen i throw in the tank.

I've never heard of them chewing through rock to make a hole! I have pukani Rick so there are lots of tiny hikers that he is able to fit into amazingly! During quarantine, he/she just hid in a corner to sleep... rarely used the pvc tubes in there! I'd be leary of adding anything else from the lfs into the tank due to possible parasites being attached to it. Your blenny will find a place to live easily in your tank. You won't go wrong with the midas Blenny... they are awesome fish!

Well I got one,Not gonna lie I love him he seems a little feisty though like aggressive? It’s different reading about them then actually seeing him..why does he bite his tail like a dog? when I came home I searched it on google many people say that’s common...but what does it mean? Haha

Idoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got one,Not gonna lie I love him he seems a little feisty though like aggressive? It’s different reading about them then actually seeing him..why does he bite his tail like a dog? when I came home I searched it on google many people say that’s common...but what does it mean? Haha
I've never seen one bite their own tale. Just watch to ensure there's no parasites causing irritations that it may be trying to bite. Mine handled copper treatment very well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back