OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I poke him, he moves, but does not run away like he normally would. Also, when I moved him he went on his side, but corrected himself after a second or two. He is also non responsive to the light from my phone

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
He appears he’s at the last stages of his life.

Unfortunately, next time follow chemical instructions on the label.

I’m sorry for your situation OP. I lost a Anthias from dosing Prazi with good air stones. Sometimes they don’t respond good.

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He appears he’s at the last stages of his life.

Unfortunately, next time follow chemical instructions on the label.

I’m sorry for your situation OP. I lost a Anthias from dosing Prazi with good air stones. Sometimes they don’t respond good.
Darn. That’s my bad, I should make sure to double check instructions moving forward. I followed what I did last time and guess I got lucky before on the O2 issue. I wonder why my other fish weren’t affected

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase flow. A lot of folks like air pumps - I really like extra flow for fish in duress, possibly in its own tank or bucket if you have lps that can’t handle it. Elliott from marine collectors was on brstv talking QT a few years ago and was talking about how the fish need good flow in during stress, and he thinks the fighting to stay upright in it keeps them alive.
Our freshwater tank with a beautiful, massive parrot cichlid I’ve had for ten years leaked, and there wasn’t enough water left for me to acclimate him to new tank when I discovered it. Went belly up a minute later and laid over gasping for 10 min, thought he was a goner. Remembered I had an old mag7 somewhere, put that directly in the tank, got blown around a few min then started kicking and gradually back to 100% within an hour.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn. That’s my bad, I should make sure to double check instructions moving forward. I followed what I did last time and guess I got lucky before on the O2 issue. I wonder why my other fish weren’t affected
When they’re not responsive, flow is your only hope. Get him in his own bucket with a power head and see what happens

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a bucket of fresh mixed saltwater. He appears to be fighting to stay upright and is swimming a little bit. I’ll leave it for a bit and check on him again

6EB320C2-6370-444E-B16E-01DFA4CC0A64.jpeg

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a bucket of fresh mixed saltwater. He appears to be fighting to stay upright and is swimming a little bit. I’ll leave it for a bit and check on him again

6EB320C2-6370-444E-B16E-01DFA4CC0A64.jpeg
Great hope it goes well. Keep an eye on that heater too… all of the ones I use need to be submerged for safety but not familiar with your brand. Definitely oversized for that amount of water so just keep an eye on it.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks very emaciated. I have had several fang blennies. And can tell you that one is VERY underweight.

A 4-year old blacklined blenny of mine slowly lost weight due to a internal disease/parasite ... despite metroplex treatments and continually eating like a pig ... then one day just became too weak to carry on.

I doubt the chemiclean is the cause ... but rather malnutrition. If the CC did cause a drop in oxygen, my suspicion is that it was merely the last little nudge into the final stages of weakness that would've happened soon anyway.

Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news, but I would not get your hopes up too high on a recovery.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks very emaciated. I have had several fang blennies. And can tell you that one is VERY underweight.

A 4-year old blacklined blenny of mine slowly lost weight due to a internal disease/parasite ... despite metroplex treatments ... then one day just became too weak to carry on.

I doubt the chemiclean is the cause ... but rather malnutrition. If the CC did cause a drop in oxygen, my suspicion is that it was merely the last little nudge into the final stages of weakness that would've happened soon anyway.

Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news, but I would not get your hopes up too high on a recovery.
Yeah, this too. Either way, you don’t want the poor guy in your tank btw. The bucket can be QT, a lot of folks do it that way

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you noticed white feces search for humble fish recommendations on internal parasites. There’s a whole barrage of treatments, like general cure, problem is they need to eat them…

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The very first instruction is to increase O2…

Its NOT because of chemiClean. Its because the use of chemiclean causes organic materials (Dissolved Organic Compounds), such as cyano on live rock or the uneaten food and fish detritus on the bottom of the tank will consume a lot of oxygen as they break down.
The statement made that it removes oxygen is not key. Been using this a couple of decades and I never increased O2

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its NOT because of chemiClean. Its because the use of chemiclean causes organic materials (Dissolved Organic Compounds), such as cyano on live rock or the uneaten food and fish detritus on the bottom of the tank will consume a lot of oxygen as they break down.
The statement made that it removes oxygen is not key. Been using this a couple of decades and I never increased O2
The mechanism doesn’t really matter, the result is the issue

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you noticed white feces search for humble fish recommendations on internal parasites. There’s a whole barrage of treatments, like general cure, problem is they need to eat them…
From what I’ve been able to see, I haven’t seen white. But I haven’t paid too much attention the past two days. It’s been very hectic with the holidays

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to post an update. The blenny passed overnight. He was limping along in the bucket for a few hours, but I don't think he was recovering at all. I inspected his body this morning and didn't see anything obvious as to cause apart from the thin fatigued shape. My guess as others have said above is that it was probably an internal parasite. I'm not sure how it would've happened with him being perfectly fine for almost two months. I'll keep an eye on the other fish

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back