Blenny that will get along with Royal Gramma

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello it’s been about 3 weeks since I put my royal gramma into my tank.
I have:
2 clownfish
1 Royal gramma
1 goby/pistol shrimp pair

I wanted to add one more fish to my tank.
I had been thinking about adding a flasher wrasse or six-line, but the more I look into it I don’t think I should get one for my size tank. 32G biocube.

the fish I really think would be cool to add is a blenny. I have heard a lot of about them and how much character these guys have. I purchased a bicolor blenny. I didn’t even think about the similar color.. I know that’s my fault and should have thought more before adding this fish. Well my royal gramma and the blenny instantly started fighting after he got introduced. I took the blenny out right after I saw they wouldn’t stop going at it.

my question is can I put another type of blenny in my tank? Or since it’s only a 32G tank I should just not add one. I’m worried that the royal gramma is going to hurt a blenny cause it's been in there for 3 weeks now and the rock work is basically “all his” in his eyes.

If I can’t add a blenny to the tank, what type of fish would y’all recommend to add? I just want one more fish. I know I’m close to my max bipolar with having 4 already.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I got lucky.... I have a bicolor blenny with my royal gramma and they do fine together. They originally were in a 20g together with no issues, they've since upgraded to a 90. I also have a lawnmower blenny that I added after we moved to the 90, no problems there either.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe I got lucky.... I have a bicolor blenny with my royal gramma and they do fine together. They originally were in a 20g together with no issues, they've since upgraded to a 90. I also have a lawnmower blenny that I added after we moved to the 90, no problems there either.
Did they go in at the same time? I tried to add my blenny after 2 weeks of the royal gramma being in there by himself. Idk they might have been able to sort it out. I just didn’t want to harm that beautiful fish by adding it and they end up killing each other.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they go in at the same time? I tried to add my blenny after 2 weeks of the royal gramma being in there by himself. Idk they might have been able to sort it out. I just didn’t want to harm that beautiful fish by adding it and they end up killing each other.

No, I took the tank from someone who wasn't tending it any longer, it came with 2 clowns and the gramma. I added the bi-color and a goby/pistol pair a few months later once I got everything back under control. Maybe I just have a chill gramma.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, I took the tank from someone who wasn't tending it any longer, it came with 2 clowns and the gramma. I added the bi-color and a goby/pistol pair a few months later once I got everything back under control. Maybe I just have a chill gramma.
Nice. Ye maybe my gramma is just on the aggressive side. :( I thought they were super peaceful. That’s all I had read. The more I looked into it after the blenny I saw a lot of posts of these fish being super territorial. Some more than others. It’s my fault for not looking more into it before adding it. I thought I had researched about this fish enough. I would have added him last if I knew this could happen.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How much rock / hiding places did y’all have? I have quite a few spots for fish to hide. After the incident with my gramma and the bicolor blenny. He hides in the back more often before he would swim in the front. He still comes out and is slowly starting to stay out more. I’m not sure if I should add more rock or what.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would a six-line wrasse do good with the royal gramma? Not sure if those two will fight and kill one another. Was just thinking since six line is more aggressive. Maybe the royal gramma won’t bother it? But will the six line kill the royal gramma I guess lol.

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Blenny and Gramma are very similar in shape. They are both long and slender, if they are the same size and the same color pattern there will be fighting.

If you really want to redo the "territories" just redo your rockwork! I hope this helps. Good luck!

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Blenny and Gramma are very similar in shape. They are both long and slender, if they are the same size and the same color pattern there will be fighting.

If you really want to redo the "territories" just redo your rockwork! I hope this helps. Good luck!
I have a few smaller pieces of dry rock. Think moving the rocks around where he sleeps and adding those pieces might help?

Brad Waddell Wrath's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a biocolor blenny and he is a bit of an butt. He bites me and chases others around. He really doesn't like my Lawn mower blenny but has not beat him just chases him a bit.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a biocolor blenny and he is a bit of an butt. He bites me and chases others around. He really doesn't like my Lawn mower blenny but has not beat him just chases him a bit.
Ye I read they can be pretty mean. I just was wondering what kind I might be able to put with royal gramma. I just might not be able to put one in my tank :(. Maybe I’ll take the royal gramma back.

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few smaller pieces of dry rock. Think moving the rocks around where he sleeps and adding those pieces might help?
Changing up the rockwork will make the fish rework their own territories. It will help in my opinion. If not hopefully your LFS will let you trade or rehome him.

BTW, Do not get a Six line wrasse ;Blackeye

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sixline definitely not a good fish to have, i had one that i'm pretty sure killed my gramma

are you sure you have a royal gramma and not a bicolor dottyback

lg_72472_Bicolor_Dottyback.jpg

royal_gramma_2__73437.1373572737.jpg

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Changing up the rockwork will make the fish rework their own territories. It will help in my opinion. If not hopefully your LFS will let you trade or rehome him.

BTW, Do not get a Six line wrasse ;Blackeye
I’ll have to ask my LFS. they are super nice I’m sure they would take him back.

Last edited:

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your clowns free swim or are they hosting a nem? How do they act toward other fish?

It sounds like you could have more luck with something that swims more in the water column, rather than darting in and out of the rockwork. In my 90 G my dottyback is fairly certain every bit of rockwork is his, but doesn't bother anything in the water column.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back