Blenny that will get along with Royal Gramma

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 6-line wrasse get a mostly undeserved bad wrap. I've had 1 in most every salt tank I've had over the past 20 years and never had a single problem (other than harassing a hermit crab if I fall behind on their feeding schedule). They're great for pest control (I accredit a lot of my reef keeping success over the years to keeping one of these in my tank). Given the list of fish you have so far, you should probably be thinking about pest control for any future fish additions. A yellow coris wrasse would also be a good choice for the pest control job. Your current fish roster also doesn't have any herbivores so that might be good addition for algae control.

I often like to use a peace maker when adding fish to an established tank to prevent aggression with new tank mates. Basically it's just a clear plastic box with some small holes for water flow that allows fish to look at each other for a few days without being able to touch/fight.

FWIW - I also currently have a very large (huge!) royal gramma that I've had for years in with a small bicolor blenny that don't bother each other at all, but a larger (70 gallon) tank than yours may account for some lack of drama (the blenny was added about 6 months after the gramma was moved to this tank from my 120 gallon tank).

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think 6-line wrasse get a mostly undeserved bad wrap. I've had 1 in most every salt tank I've had over the past 20 years and never had a single problem (other than harassing a hermit crab if I fall behind on their feeding schedule). They're great for pest control (I accredit a lot of my reef keeping success over the years to keeping one of these in my tank). Given the list of fish you have so far, you should probably be thinking about pest control for any future fish additions. A yellow coris wrasse would also be a good choice for the pest control job. Your current fish roster also doesn't have any herbivores so that might be good addition for algae control.

I often like to use a peace maker when adding fish to an established tank to prevent aggression with new tank mates. Basically it's just a clear plastic box with some small holes for water flow that allows fish to look at each other for a few days without being able to touch.

FWIW - I also currently have a very large (huge!) royal gramma that I've had for years in with a small bicolor blenny that don't bother each other at all, but a larger (70 gallon) tank than yours may account for some lack of drama (the blenny was added about 6 months after the gramma was moved to this tank from my 120 gallon tank).
Okay and yes I have been thinking(planning) to get me a box to slowly introduce a fish. I have heard six line wrasse aren’t aggressive either I’m so torn. I know a lot of people have success in their tanks. Since mines a 32G I just am not sure if he will continue to be safe when he gets bigger. Since they are hard to catch.

I tried to add a blenny for a herbivore to clean the rocks Up. But the Gramma and the blenny locked mouths and wouldn’t let go. Then they continued to bother each other for20 min. So I decided to take him out.

not having a pest control fish is why I was thinking about some type of wrasse in my tank.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven’t looked up yellow coris wrasses at all. What do they eat? Pest and carnivore?

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow CR are like most wrasses, carnivore but will usually be fine with frozen mysis shrimp, pellets or even flake food.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I accidentally got a yellow coris wrasse (they sent me him instead of the fish I ordered and they told me to keep/donate him and sent the right one later). He actually does great in my tank. I feel like he went through a quick growth spurt from the tiny size I got him to about 3 inches but has slowed down from that point. He doesn't harass any of the cuc or any of the fish.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I accidentally got a yellow coris wrasse (they sent me him instead of the fish I ordered and they told me to keep/donate him and sent the right one later). He actually does great in my tank. I feel like he went through a quick growth spurt from the tiny size I got him to about 3 inches but has slowed down from that point. He doesn't harass any of the cuc or any of the fish.
Nice! Idk if I should keep it if it grows fast at the start. I can’t get a bigger tank for awhile. Don’t want to end up buying a fish then having to give it back for not having enough swimming room for it. Tanks only 32G

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second a canary wrasse, I've had mine now for approx 3 weeks and he's such a character. Greedy though. I feed him a mixture of frozen mysis, copepods and brine shrimp. I also drop in an algae pellet for the herbivores and he munches on that too.

I bought a pretty big one at around 4+ inches and he doesn't bother any of my other fish. Even the fire fish get on with him.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I second a canary wrasse, I've had mine now for approx 3 weeks and he's such a character. Greedy though. I feed him a mixture of frozen mysis, copepods and brine shrimp. I also drop in an algae pellet for the herbivores and he munches on that too.

I bought a pretty big one at around 4+ inches and he doesn't bother any of my other fish. Even the fire fish get on with him.
Would he be fine in a 32G though? Everywhere I look people recommend 50G

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the "I thought gramma's were peaceful club". I added a tailspot blenny to my tank after royal gramma. There was aggression at first. Its eased up now that the blenny has learned to avoid the gramma. However if the gramma spots the blenny he'll chase it. He'll also have a go at other fish and recently chased a firefish out of the tank. I did a complete resdesign of my tank and it did nothing to calm the territorial nature of the gramma.

I have added a timor wrasse with the gramma and they get on ok / leave each other alone. my tank is just a bit bigger than yours.

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would he be fine in a 32G though? Everywhere I look people recommend 50G

Sorry i missed the size of your tank, honestly a 32G is a little small for it because its an active swimmer (well mine is). People often say buy a small one and then you can either upgrade your tank and move it into that or give it back to the LFS when it outgrows your tank. I don't agree with the latter, why buy and look after a fish just to give it back. Catching the thing would be hard enough and could stress it, you and the rest of the tank's inhabitants.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to the "I thought gramma's were peaceful club". I added a tailspot blenny to my tank after royal gramma. There was aggression at first. Its eased up now that the blenny has learned to avoid the gramma. However if the gramma spots the blenny he'll chase it. He'll also have a go at other fish and recently chased a firefish out of the tank. I did a complete resdesign of my tank and it did nothing to calm the territorial nature of the gramma.

I have added a timor wrasse with the gramma and they get on ok / leave each other alone. my tank is just a bit bigger than yours.
Ye mine hasn’t messed with anyone besides the blenny I tried to add. It seems like anything after him he would attack. I believe a wrasse would be fine since wrssse are bigger than him.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry i missed the size of your tank, honestly a 32G is a little small for it because its an active swimmer (well mine is). People often say buy a small one and then you can either upgrade your tank and move it into that or give it back to the LFS when it outgrows your tank. I don't agree with the latter, why buy and look after a fish just to give it back. Catching the thing would be hard enough and could stress it, you and the rest of the tank's inhabitants.
Ye I agree it’s an awesome fish though. Nice that u have one! :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back