Blindness and fish kill after soft coral placement

  • Thread starter Thread starter jpwebb5
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jpwebb5

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 18, 2015
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed a long branched soft leather coral in a well established tank with good water parameters, last week. I had a fish kill in 4 days and have lost fish daily and now have only 2 fish left. My Fox Faced Rabbit fish is now blind and has clouded eyes and not eating. Is this possibly from the introduction of the coral? I am going to make a 1/2 tank water change (45 gallons) as soon as I get my R/O filter to give me 45 gallons. Has anyone else experienced this? How can I keep the blind fish alive? He doesn't find food.
 
I seriously doubt the coral had anything to do with your fish loss.
I can't explain the fish loss, but I do know a blind fish probably won't survive.
 
Water change and carbon. Maybe a couple 25-30 gallon changes.
 
It may have been the leather, they can be toxic. But a quality carbon and water change and you should be good. They are like palys, they release toxin when stressed.
 
^^ Agree with @joshkirkland83 above. However, I've never lost any fish due to a softy spitting, and I do keep quite a few different leather corals. But I also run carbon 24/7 to mitigate any ill effects from this exact scenario happening.

When was the last fish/coral/invert added to your tank? Do you QT? Did any of the fish act reclusive or swim into the flow of a powerhead before dying? Also, Rabbitfish do naturally have sorta hazy looking eyes (see pic below.)

Siganus-vulpinus.jpg
 
I too have never lost a fish because of a leather in my tank, even after fragging multiple pieces at the same time in the tank.
Can't say if your leather was more toxic than the ones I have.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 59 33.3%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 28 15.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new