Blood Red Hawkfish

JeezeReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I added a Blood Red Hawkfish to my current Nano system. He’s really small and a good size for my tank. However.... I’m worried about aggression.... I currently also have an Orchid Dottyback in my tank and i’m wondering if I just brewed the perfect situation for disaster... It’s still relatively early, but on occasion he’ll chase my Dottyback into its cave to hide. It’s not at every chance he gets, but it still happens. Will the aggression calm down and the two live in harmony? (also this is still day one, i just want to hear your thoughts)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, what size is your tank?
I have never had a dottyback but I have had a red hawk and it was peaceful in my tank.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I added a Blood Red Hawkfish to my current Nano system. He’s really small and a good size for my tank. However.... I’m worried about aggression.... I currently also have an Orchid Dottyback in my tank and i’m wondering if I just brewed the perfect situation for disaster... It’s still relatively early, but on occasion he’ll chase my Dottyback into its cave to hide. It’s not at every chance he gets, but it still happens. Will the aggression calm down and the two live in harmony? (also this is still day one, i just want to hear your thoughts)
G’day mate iv had a red hawkfish in a 55g for two years with a yellow tang and six line wrasse and not one problem , he always keeps to himself.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
All hawks can be nasty and aggressive. Keep it well fed and it should hopefully cut down the aggression

OP
OP
JeezeReefs

JeezeReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, what size is your tank?
I have never had a dottyback but I have had a red hawk and it was peaceful in my tank.

I currently have a 13.5 gal. My dottyback has been timid and surprisingly non-aggressive, I just wish that my Hawkfish was the same

OP
OP
JeezeReefs

JeezeReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All hawks can be nasty and aggressive. Keep it well fed and it should hopefully cut down the aggression

Alright thank! I’ll try to make sure he’s well fed so he’ll stop picking at my dottybacks fins instead

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my red hawk was fine until I tried to add a new fish. Then he turned into a terror, bullied the new fish to death and started picking on a goby he had previously been fine with. This is in a 32 gal Biocube.

He got a 2 month time out in a quarantine tank. He's been ok since i returned him, but I won't be adding any new fish to that tank

LALA123196

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My red hawk terrorizes the other fish - especially the orchid dottyback. I haven't seen my new diamondback goby or peppermint shrimp since introducing them to the tank a week ago. I love how quirky they are, but this one needs to be rehomed. To a bigger tank and even BIGGER fish. Maybe he'll learn to play nice.

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above poster the hawkfish is a bit large for your aquarium. You can try the geometric pygmy hawkfish which should be happy in a 13.5g

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back