Blue Green Chromis aggression?

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clowns and 2 Chromies + couple other fish, the larger chromies usually only gets a little bit aggressive before feeding them after its ok. Ive had the clowns and chromies to since around the sametime and they get along. I do notice the bigger one sometimes nips at a clown or the smaller chromis. Not sure whats going on tho. I really wont want to get rid of it since ive had them as my first reef fish so theyve grown onto me

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This makes me wonder now. As I am missing a bubble tip brittle star, and 2 shrimp. One of the shrimp I just got over this last weekend, and I had a diamond watchmen goby jump out in the middle of the night. I do have 1 blue green chromis. I was thinking that I might have a gorilla crab somewhere, now reading this I want to make my chromis go MIA.

Mine are aggressive but never saw them go after anything but a fish or each other. A fish jumping may be because of the chromis but most aggression is toward each other.
Right now my chromis are held in check by a aggressive purple tang.
All tanks should be covered because most fish jump especially at night because they are spooked easy then. A chromis wont attack a fish at night but a shrimp or crab will.
My emerald crab was eating shrimp. I would look more towards a crab or mantis if things are disappearing.

A brittle star may never be seen in a reef depending on the type.

Last edited:

George Willings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have an emerald crab, and as a matter of fact my hermits are all gone as well. Things started to come up missing after I put in that chromis. Looks like I might be pulling that guy out.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 chromis in my 100 gallon tank for about 6 months. Luckily no casualties so far in my tank but I have a ton of rock work and places for them to hide. Ive seen the chromis pick on each other but they pretty much leave the other fish alone in my experience.

George Willings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a big tank, I have only a 32 gallon Biocube, so space is certainly limited for me. So mine is going MIA as over $50 in inhabitants have come up missing since the chromis was added.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not have an emerald crab, and as a matter of fact my hermits are all gone as well. Things started to come up missing after I put in that chromis. Looks like I might be pulling that guy out.

Non of it makes sense. A chromis has no reason to touch a brittle star unless it was really tiny and the same with a shrimp, plus it would have to be extreemly hungry. If it is a cleaner shrimp there is very little chance if any they would go after them. A fish jumping in the night has nothing do do with a chromis, take a look at your chromis at night he aint chasing anything, he is hiding like most fish.. I think you are looking in the wrong place. Chromis are zooplankton feeders not hunters like a basslet or wrasse.

George Willings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for making sense. I have used a trap for a gorilla crab, left it in there for a couple of days, nothing. Time line of events points to the chromis, as when that fish was added that is when things started to go MIA. The only other fish in there are 2 clowns that host the freaking return, a goby, and a benggai cardinal. Not long after the chromis was added, the star gets demolished, then a peppermint shrimp goes missing, then the hermits killed each other off for wanting each other's shells, then I buy a skunk shrimp and it goes MIA a couple days later. Finding pieces of it in a little cavern where the chromis hangs out. BTW, this chromis goes complete application **** over mysis. There are no crabs in my tank at all, so there is no chance of a crab doing this, nor is there a mantis shrimp in there either. The clowns hardly ever leave their return, the cardinal is lost in it's own little world. Which leaves 1 culprit, the Chromis.

408Dartfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chromis shouldn’t be hard to catch, I feed mine mysis and could catch them in a coffee cup. Diamond goby are jumpers I’d get a lid for your tank. I have 5 chromis who are only slightly aggressive towards each other. Dustin

George Willings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a I'd on it now so this goby does not try the high jump either.
I know this does not make complete sense, but I am just following the facts on this.

Mandalorian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of the Chromis. They are listed as peaceful, but they are not. I had some and they bullied allot of the small fish and they would also knip at the fins of fish that were at the top of the aquarium and make them jump out. 4 dollar fish cost me allot. I eventually got so made and had to take the reef apart to get that __$)(*$er ;Brb
Wish I saw this, but they chased and caused my yellow bellied hippo to jump and die.

butta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's this youtube post about how turning on the moon lighting on radions triggered spawning responses from the chromis', who killed off the rest of the tank.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 28 22.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 89 71.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back