Blue sapphire damselfish

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I purchased 3 sapphire blue damselfish yesterday. It has been 24 hours since introduction and they won't come out of hiding.

I already had two clownfish (one ocellaris and one percula) in the tank before I introduced them. I also introduced them with a neon blue goby the same day. I can't find too much information on these damsels so I was wondering if you know anything about them. I'm trying to figure out why they are hiding.

They won't leave this tiny tiny cave I made.

The neon blue goby I introduced set up a station to clean and is exploring and eating already.

is this normal behavior? I can't say I saw them eat yet. It's been 3 feedings.

No corals yet

Tank inhabitants:
2 clowns
3 sapphire damselfish
1 neon blue goby
10 blue legged hermit crabs

Tank size: 90 gallons with 10 gallon sump

My water parameters:
Ammonia: 0
NitrITE: 0
NitrATE:10
pH: 8.0
Temp: 78°

Two powerheads and overflow

I've attached a photo of tank as well

20220609_125646.jpg 20220527_220443.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is normal for new fish to hide. That doesn't mean all will... but some will. It may take a few days or weeks for them to fully adjust. They should start eating within a few days though.

My cleaner type goby actually was skittish and hid for a week so you just never know. Now it sits on my hand when I am working on the tank.

Those damsels stay small and are on the more peaceful side. Still a little damsel spunk but no worse than a clownfish. They will probably spread out and bicker with each other once they feel comfortable. They are my favorite damsel.

I will say that fake rock looks fairly dense and doesn't have all the smaller holes fish really like. If you plan to add coral, this will also add more territory as the coral grows in though.

My royal gramma and sapphire damsel love to hang out in acropora branches but even tall soft corals or LPS are good choices to fill in the upper half.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is normal for new fish to hide. That doesn't mean all will... but some will. It may take a few days or weeks for them to fully adjust. They should start eating within a few days though.

My cleaner type goby actually was skittish and hid for a week so you just never know. Now it sits on my hand when I am working on the tank.

Those damsels stay small and are on the more peaceful side. Still a little damsel spunk but no worse than a clownfish. They will probably spread out and bicker with each other once they feel comfortable. They are my favorite damsel.
Ok I'm just a little worried I kinda bought them on a spur of the moment kinda thing. My local lfs dude who I trust said they'd be good to have over firefish if I plan to get an eel. So I went with them with almost no research beyond what he told me.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

View Badges
Clowns they are aggressive,that's there tank and the other fish know it. Take clowns out for a few hours ,well take all aggressive fish out put them in at same time in few hours ,should confuse clowns and should be ok

View Badges
Clowns they are aggressive,that's there tank and the other fish know it. Take clowns out for a few hours ,well take all aggressive fish out put them in at same time in few hours ,should confuse clowns and should be ok
People think clowns are friendly,NOT they will kill other fish so other fish hide.

OP
OP
B

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People think clowns are friendly,NOT they will kill other fish so other fish hide.
I mean, my lfs has them in tanks together all the time. Every frag tank and display tank. Mine also didn't seem the mind the fish. Swam over, looked, and left. But maybe I missed something

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are semi aggressive, but the tank looks big enough and damsels are not pushovers. My sapphire damsel is with clowns and many other fish.

novajoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I purchased 3 sapphire blue damselfish yesterday. It has been 24 hours since introduction and they won't come out of hiding.

I already had two clownfish (one ocellaris and one percula) in the tank before I introduced them. I also introduced them with a neon blue goby the same day. I can't find too much information on these damsels so I was wondering if you know anything about them. I'm trying to figure out why they are hiding.

They won't leave this tiny tiny cave I made.

The neon blue goby I introduced set up a station to clean and is exploring and eating already.

is this normal behavior? I can't say I saw them eat yet. It's been 3 feedings.

No corals yet

Tank inhabitants:
2 clowns
3 sapphire damselfish
1 neon blue goby
10 blue legged hermit crabs

Tank size: 90 gallons with 10 gallon sump

My water parameters:
Ammonia: 0
NitrITE: 0
NitrATE:10
pH: 8.0
Temp: 78°

Two powerheads and overflow

I've attached a photo of tank as well

20220609_125646.jpg 20220527_220443.jpg
I just had 2 blue sapphire damsels starve themselves. They just seem to absolutely refuse to eat pellet food or anything that's not frozen. I gave them brine shrimp about 2 weeks after I bought them and they went for it but never ate anything else. Normally fish will eat regardless of it's the only thing available but they're little dudes seem to rather die than even try something else. Honestly made me angry.

Back