Blue Spotted Stingray Feeding Tips (on my experience)

heathsharky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a couple months before I had my 2 round stingrays I have currently, (Mr. Ray and Cali) I had a magnificent male blue spotted ribbontail stingray (Taeniura lymma) which is a species that is not hardy and very difficult to keep. I named him Raymond and he was in a tank with 3 baby round rays and all of the stingrays ate, and I got him because he was a healthy blue spot but once he got to my tank, he burrowed under the sand and refused to eat the frozen shrimp and krill I fed my other round stingray pups I had at the time. I feed him live feeder shrimps on tongs, and slowly introduced him to the tongs by keeping them near the live shrimp every time I fed Raymond until he ate from the tongs and got used to them. He eventually got used to the tongs and never had to hunt, find, and compete with the faster and hardier round stingray pups. It took him about 2 - 3 weeks in total to get him used to the tongs and his new feeding schedule. I sadly don't have this guy anymore as he hurted himself after getting unstuck from some rock and refused the food he was used to eating, and unfortunately passed away due to his non hardy nature. but now I will spread my information from my experience down to people who want an animal as wonderful and incredible like the blue spotted ribbontail stingray.

OP
OP
heathsharky

heathsharky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some pictures of Raymond too when I had him:
20210706_150724.jpg

One of my favorite pictures of Raymond
20210522_062052.jpg

Him chilling on the bottom
20210527_151008.jpg

him eating something and one of the pups (Joel)

OP
OP
heathsharky

heathsharky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him about a year ago and I had him in a 75 gallon (which I know is small for a blue spotted ribbontail stingray)

Sharkandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a couple months before I had my 2 round stingrays I have currently, (Mr. Ray and Cali) I had a magnificent male blue spotted ribbontail stingray (Taeniura lymma) which is a species that is not hardy and very difficult to keep. I named him Raymond and he was in a tank with 3 baby round rays and all of the stingrays ate, and I got him because he was a healthy blue spot but once he got to my tank, he burrowed under the sand and refused to eat the frozen shrimp and krill I fed my other round stingray pups I had at the time. I feed him live feeder shrimps on tongs, and slowly introduced him to the tongs by keeping them near the live shrimp every time I fed Raymond until he ate from the tongs and got used to them. He eventually got used to the tongs and never had to hunt, find, and compete with the faster and hardier round stingray pups. It took him about 2 - 3 weeks in total to get him used to the tongs and his new feeding schedule. I sadly don't have this guy anymore as he hurted himself after getting unstuck from some rock and refused the food he was used to eating, and unfortunately passed away due to his non hardy nature. but now I will spread my information from my experience down to people who want an animal as wonderful and incredible like the blue spotted ribbontail stingray.
What size is your tank? If it's less than 2k, you might be SOL. These require minimum 10,000 gallons.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back