Blue Star Wrasse - is this normal behavior ?

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got a Blue Star Wrasse and a Yellow Tail Tamarin Wrasse at the same time, 11 days ago. When I put them both in the DT at the same time, the Tamirin took to it no problem. The Blue Star swam around for about 15 mins, then buried herself. Thought to myself, and the wait begins ! Didn’t see her for a week till she FINALLY showed herself…thought she was a goner. But even then she only stayed out for maybe 20 mins and POOF….back in the sand she goes !

Doesn‘t show herself for 24 hours and pops out again for 20-30 mins and back in the sand for 24 hrs….is this normal ? She’s not being harassed when she’s out, seems quite peaceful actually, swimming all over the tank exploring, other fish don’t see to even acknowledge her….so what gives with the burying ? She’s done this now for about 4 days in an row, after coming out for the first time after a week. Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior before ?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got a Blue Star Wrasse and a Yellow Tail Tamarin Wrasse at the same time, 11 days ago. When I put them both in the DT at the same time, the Tamirin took to it no problem. The Blue Star swam around for about 15 mins, then buried herself. Thought to myself, and the wait begins ! Didn’t see her for a week till she FINALLY showed herself…thought she was a goner. But even then she only stayed out for maybe 20 mins and POOF….back in the sand she goes !

Doesn‘t show herself for 24 hours and pops out again for 20-30 mins and back in the sand for 24 hrs….is this normal ? She’s not being harassed when she’s out, seems quite peaceful actually, swimming all over the tank exploring, other fish don’t see to even acknowledge her….so what gives with the burying ? She’s done this now for about 4 days in a row, after coming out for the first time after a week. Has anyone else experienced this type of behavior before ?
This is completely normal for any wrasse. She’s just come from the wild to our reefs, she’ll be stressed and wanting to acclimate to the tank at her own rate.

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She seems to come out around 10:30am each of the days she comes out. I added a couple of bottles of Copepods from Dinkins 2 days ago. I see her pecking at the rocks, but hard to tell if she’s actually eating or not. I also try and throw some frozen mysis and Fish Frenzy when she does come out. Again, hard to tell …

OP
OP
hans4811

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HAHA ! No sooner did I write that post, I got up and looked at the tank again…lo and behold…she’s back out again ! She must have sensed me writing about her ! lol….

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 133 74.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back