Blue tang not leaving rocks seems to have something on her

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also she is breathing really fast, should I just dose the ick cure into the dt
No, ich cure isn’t likely to be helpful here. I still need a full history of the tank and fish, else we’re just guessing.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the fish is most definitely not going to make 6 days than is it? it already seems like its rapidly deteriorating, should I be worried about my other fish? they seem fine
This seems to be an acute issue, it is not related to diet.
Have you considered a FW or formalin dip to buy some time?
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I prepare that dip and are you thinking it is not a bacterial issue? or it is just fast acting one?
The spots and rapid breathing point more towards parasites than bacteria. Formalin dips are tricky, I wonder if you should start with a 5 minute FW dip first?
Formalin dips are done in a bucket with good aeration. I use 150 ppm for 45 minutes. For one US gallon you would add 0.56 ml of formalin. Wear gloves and eye protection and don’t breath the fumes. Keep out of reach of children and pets.

J

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The spots and rapid breathing point more towards parasites than bacteria. Formalin dips are tricky, I wonder if you should start with a 5 minute FW dip first?
Formalin dips are done in a bucket with good aeration. I use 150 ppm for 45 minutes. For one US gallon you would add 0.56 ml of formalin. Wear gloves and eye protection and don’t breath the fumes. Keep out of reach of children and pets.

J
Dang, I bought those antibiotics for no reason than lol, whatever might need em eventually alright ill give it a go

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

J
what should I treat the water with after?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, the fish is most definitely not going to make 6 days than is it? it already seems like its rapidly deteriorating, should I be worried about my other fish? they seem fine
Sorry if it wasn't clear - I meant - I don't think it s a virus. If I were you - I would treat the fish with what you have 'on hand'. I would cal la veterinarian (they can prescribe any of these medications) - for your fish - and you can pick them up today (depending on the time now)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, I bought those antibiotics for no reason than lol, whatever might need em eventually alright ill give it a go
I can’t say 100% this isn’t bacterial, but it doesn’t seem to be. The rapid breathing is key - that rarely is seen with bacterial infections, and when it is, that means the issue is systemic and the fish won’t likely be treatable.
Jay

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t say 100% this isn’t bacterial, but it doesn’t seem to be. The rapid breathing is key - that rarely is seen with bacterial infections, and when it is, that means the issue is systemic and the fish won’t likely be treatable.
Jay
Okay so shes toast essentially?

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Oh wait sorry if it is bacterial okay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to defer to Jay - if you can get 37% formaldehyde - (do the calculations carefully) I would go with that. BTW - There are issues with the calculation - so thats why I'm saying that.

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
What should I treat the water with? super ick cure, ruby ralley?

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to defer to Jay - if you can get 37% formaldehyde - (do the calculations carefully) I would go with that. BTW - There are issues with the calculation - so thats why I'm saying that.
I got 37% formaldehyde right now in a sealed bottle, what does the calculation even look like? I've never heard of specific amount

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got 37% formaldehyde right now in a sealed bottle, what does the calculation even look like? I've never heard of specific amount
@Jay Hemdal - I have never used full strength (which that is) - I know a recommendation - but Jay may have an update

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt get an airstone from the fish store is stirring manually for 30 minutes appropriate?
No - that won’t aerate well and would be stressful to the fish. I would try the FW dip first.
Jay

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 13 15.9%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back