Blue tang not leaving rocks seems to have something on her

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
this is also the weird sorta spots of film on the coris wrasse i was describing but from my understanding some people yellow coris wrasses just had this and it was fine
Looks to be a bacterial issue and I would suggest now that you have quarantine in place both seachem neoplex and seachem metroplex added to food at .5gm which is a very tiny amount for treatment

@Jay Hemdal - thoughts?

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the breathing is fast - It could suggest multiple (2-3) things - could you post a picture with the tang in the QT?
Confirm before throwing anything into tank which can help or have adverse effects- The power of qquarantining.
You may have to resort to removing rock a few seconds and snapping some pics of fish.3
Laying under a rock Not abnormal with hepatus tang but the behavior is
Two fish missing is really worrisome. With this clearer picture, the tang could have ich or flukes. What other fish (if any) are in the tank? Do you have a treatment tank available?

Jay

Looks to be a bacterial issue and I would suggest now that you have quarantine in place both seachem neoplex and seachem metroplex added to food at .5gm which is a very tiny amount for treatment

@Jay Hemdal - thoughts?
I dont even know where I can get that I am in canada

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Metronidazole is actual agent

Check for these at Aquanest.com and see if they ship to canada

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First - if you know (or have) a veterinarian - they can give you a prescription for metronidazole. Second - since you probably can't get neomycin/kanamycin by prescription - I would suggest perhaps another broad-spectrum antibiotic such as doxycycline (from your vet)

Then you can go to any pharmacy and pick them up.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - if you know (or have) a veterinarian - they can give you a prescription for metronidazole. Second - since you probably can't get neomycin/kanamycin by prescription - I would suggest perhaps another broad-spectrum antibiotic such as doxycycline (from your vet)

Then you can go to any pharmacy and pick them up.
Metronidazole is actual agent

Check for these at Aquanest.com and see if they ship to canada
I found neoplex and metroplex online only through walmart, how long do I have earliest it'll ship is 6-10 days for 40 USD priority mail

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I found neoplex and metroplex online only through walmart, how long do I have earliest it'll ship is 6-10 days for 40 USD priority mail
Would depend if its a viral strain which is more harmful but in many cases, with Good water quality and nutrition , you can stretch it a couple of weeks from onset.
You dont want to depend on flakes and pellet foods but rather high protein diets such as Formula 2, LRS herbivore diet, mysis shrimp and small plankton as examples

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would depend if its a viral strain which is more harmful but in many cases, with Good water quality and nutrition , you can stretch it a couple of weeks from onset.
You dont want to depend on flakes and pellet foods but rather high protein diets such as Formula 2, LRS herbivore diet, mysis shrimp and small plankton as examples
I have been feeding mysis

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that is most definetley my best bet? just keep feeding daily water change and see if it lives till those products ship?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At to it- not total diet

Also occasionally add vitamins such as selcon, vita-chem or similar
Paid more for shipping than the products lol hopefully, she can pull through for 6 days if not I guess i have the antibiotics for the future I got both metroplex and neoplex, what should I be feeding exactly in the meantime?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Paid more for shipping than the products lol hopefully, she can pull through for 6 days if not I guess i have the antibiotics for the future I got both metroplex and neoplex, what should I be feeding exactly in the meantime?
Frozen diets are best and can be any or all of these but LRS and Formula highest vitamin-fat-amino content

-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

OP
OP
callen.haines

callen.haines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen diets are best and can be any or all of these but LRS and Formula highest vitamin-fat-amino content

-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine
Okay got it, can I write back here in a week when its time to mix the antibiotics with food if shes still pulling through? just to make sure I get it exactly right?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Okay got it, can I write back here in a week when its time to mix the antibiotics with food if shes still pulling through? just to make sure I get it exactly right?
Absolutely

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This makes no scientific or common sense @Jay Hemdal

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back