S

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. :)
I haven't added any medication containing copper yet for the Ich on my Blue Tang, as I want to try a natural method first to avoid any possible adverse effects on inverts and corals (garlic supplement in the food, a water change and raising the temp.)

I will raise the temp slowly over the weekend.

Scott

OP
OP
S

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up this morning to finds it dead among a pile of spines :(

OK I am sticking to crabs, snails and shrimps from now on as they are all thriving.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I just realised you are the guy with the ich hippo tang! Sorry for your lost, these urchins are usually hardy, if he died though, GET RID OF THE SEA STAR, if the hardy blue tuxedo urchin died, soon enough the not so hardy sea stars will.

OP
OP
S

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I will keep an eye on the starfish. I have one sandsifter, one large banded serpent star and a few mini ones. They seem to be doing fine, esp the sandsifter that is very active even during the day.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins are awesome creatures, I give you my condolences, the mini ones and the serpent will eat detritus and you can target feed em anyway. The sand sifters eats microfauna and detritus but cannot be spot fed, if you see him a lot and if he is on the glass, GET RID OF HIM, he should be under the sand if he isn't hungry although sometimes he comes out of the sand naturally.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I received a blue Tux urchin over 2 days ago and it hasn't moved and is starting to shed a few spines. The spines and the tentacles in between the spines are moving however so it is alive, it just has not budged from its position on the sand so i'm afraid that it isn't getting food.

If it is losing spines it is done. Sorry :(

You need to ensure that your tank is the correct alkalinity. I have an older urchin and when the tank dropped in alk he was scarred from it. Thankfully he recovered but he still bears the mark from my mistake.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t trust those test strips, other than trusting them to be garbage. If you don’t want to/aren’t in a spot to get some higher quality test kits (salifert is great for most params and reasonably priced) see if your LFS will test your water for you.

Urchins can be used as an indicator species (canary in a coal mine) for water quality. In addition to heavy metals they do not tolerate high nitrate levels.

Last edited:

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you consider high nitrates .. just curious :)

that’s a good question! For the urchin probably 20+, which in of itself isn’t all that high, I know many folks have greatly successful tanks with no3 higher than that. Hopefully someone can come along and provide some literature or something because I’m only one data point!

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, salifert isn't good? Looks like more money down the drain! Anyway, people seem to be having bad luck with Blue Tuxedo Urchins right about now? Maybe a mystery virus or Covid?

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am second data point with 2 tuxedos at 25+ NO3

thats good to know. I had both a tux and a pincushion die on me in relative quick succession at about 30ppm, dropped all their spines and died within a week. Never found the root cause other than higher than previous nitrates so maybe I should change my hypothesis to “less than 30ppm”;Bookworm

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, salifert isn't good? Looks like more money down the drain! Anyway, people seem to be having bad luck with Blue Tuxedo Urchins right about now? Maybe a mystery virus or Covid?

no no sorry that’s my bad, lying in bed on mobile relying on autocorrect. I have edited the above. Salifert is good!

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It seems counter-intuitive but I am not kidding about alk.

One of my urchins makes me laugh so hard. He has a zoa shield, and we call if johnny zoaseed because of it. One day I am watching the tank it is starts to get cloudy and I see the urchin and the zoas are in a ring and his top area is exposed. I was like what the heck ... I go and check it out and this white stuff is coming out of the top of him (sic) ... wow ... I guess he was well ... randy. :)

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to add, that LFS's aren't very good at providing good parameters or food for herbivores in general. It is very easy to get starving creatures that are past the point of no return and not know if it if you don't know what you are looking for. :(

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these little rocks in my aquarium that I was given and they are 1/3 of the size of a 2 and a half inch pincushion urchin (Which I have) and he uses three and he makes a face LOL, so much for being camouflage, sorry for your loss by the way

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back