Blueline angel compatability (Chaetodontoplus septentrionalis)

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm thinking about buying a tiny captive bred chinese blueline angel (around 1/2") and don't know much about this species, can anyone tell me what they are like temperament wise?

It would be going into a 20G QT with a captive bred majestic (1") for 2 to 3 months so I can grow them on before being introduced into a 280g reef tank (96"x28"wx24") with the following livestock:
  • CB flame angel (hoping to add a second)
  • CB coral beauty
  • CB mandarin
  • CB bangaii cardinal
  • CB common clown x 2
  • CB azure damsel x 3
  • CB orchid dotty
  • WC yellow eye kole tang
I read in an article somewhere they can be quite aggressive when large, would there be any issue with my other fish such as the majestic or centropyge's (or my mandarin for that matter which I'm pretty protective over!). The 280 is not set up yet and my current stock is spread between a 55g fowlr and 90g reef so I can add them to the upgrade in whatever order works best.

Also what are my chances of it getting along with the juv majestic in a 20G QT for a couple of months?

I know my coral maybe at risk, particlularly any polyps but I am hoping they will leave my leathers and gorgs alone!

Thanks in advance

Nick

Bob Loblaw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the Poma Lab captive bred Bluelines. It's growing quick but is only around two inches so I can't really address adult temperament. It's in a similar sized tank at 96x30x30 with a transitioning Blueface and Emperor. Haven't experienced any aggression between the three other than the occasional grunt from the Emperor when one of the others gets too close to its algae clip. I have a pair of Biotas CB mandarins which the Blueline completely ignores. No issues with the Tangs or Dottybacks in the tank. Will be adding some dwarf angels in the coming weeks but I'm not expecting any issues based on mixing other species of large and dwarf angels in the past.

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the Poma Lab captive bred Bluelines. It's growing quick but is only around two inches so I can't really address adult temperament. It's in a similar sized tank at 96x30x30 with a transitioning Blueface and Emperor. Haven't experienced any aggression between the three other than the occasional grunt from the Emperor when one of the others gets too close to its algae clip. I have a pair of Biotas CB mandarins which the Blueline completely ignores. No issues with the Tangs or Dottybacks in the tank. Will be adding some dwarf angels in the coming weeks but I'm not expecting any issues based on mixing other species of large and dwarf angels in the past.
That's good to know thanks, sounds like it might be worth a try then. I have just watched the majestic shoo a considerably larger orchid dottyback out of his pipe so seems like its more than capable of sticking up for itself even at such a small size. Emperor is on my wish list too, may add one down the line

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a pair of Poma Lab's Bluelines. They haven't bothered any of their tank mates which are a Regal, Emperor, Chromis, Neon Dotty and Bartlett Anthias. Mine are very aggressive eaters. They were nipping at a maxima clam and all types of corals but that has stopped for now.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s is my pair. The largest one is about 3”

CAEEDB1D-223B-4C7E-A4E9-2AC94E74A76A.jpeg

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a WC 1” one. She was eating within 10 mins being in QT tank. She’s with a few wrasses and a 4” gem. She’ll be the smallest angel when she goes into the display tank later in the year.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that is small for wild caught. I think you will be amazed at how much & how quickly they eat. Good luck with her.

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I bought the little blueline a couple of weeks ago, its a great little character. It's a super aggressive feeder, strikes at brineshrimp like a little piranha! Unfortunately the shop that its been in for a couple of months seems to have fed it nothing but brine so I am working on getting it on to forumula 1 and 2 flake too, mysis is a bit too big for it at the moment.

It's currently in one half of a 20g QT seperated from my majestic in the other side, I plan to introduce them at some point but may wait until they go in my 300g.

Thanks

Nick

OP
OP
C

Claus84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update - this guy is now in my 300 along with the majestic and they are getting along fine. It is an absolute unit, has gone from 1/2" to 2.5" in 4 months and has now outgrown the majestic which was originally the larger of the two! Haven't tried it with corals yet and expecting it to destroy a few of my softies when I add them but otherwise I can't recommend the CB bluelines enough, stunning and great character, always front and centre following me around the tank!

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with you that Bluelines are a great fish. My Bluelines never stop moving and always begging for more food. The Bluelines eats more than my Emperor that is twice their size. They are also much quicker eaters then all my other angels. I was hoping to move them to a tank with a pair of Regals, but I am now thinking that the Regals may not get enough food, being that they are such passive eaters compared to the Bluelines. They never chase or bother any other tank mates. A great fish for my “fish only with live rock” tank.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t go wrong with the Poma Labs blue lines. Mine are very healthy and are always begging for food when they see me near the tank. The larger still chases the smaller one from the feeding station, but there is no biting - just tail and body slapping. They haven’t bothered any of their tank mates: fairy wrasse, emperor, clowns, anthias, chromis, and cleaner shrimp. One thing I did notice is that their growth rate has slowed down. Corals that seem to survive with them are Duncan’s, frog spawn, hammers, sinularia, pocillopora. A maxima clam was also fine with them.

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaetodontoplus angels tend to be the least aggressive of the larger angels. I had a scribbled & bluespotted angel in the same tank, no issues, granted their is a size discrepancy in the adult phase. I had them with a flame, lemon peel, bellus & xanthurus angel. When I sent my tank, I’ll have a blue line

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back