Bluethroat Trigger question

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male Bluethroat Trigger in my mixed 120 and he is a model citizen! I am considering adding a female and am wondering how they will interact-if at all. I am going to add another "peaceful" trigger and am trying to decide whether to go with a "blander" female Bluethroat, of something entirely different, such as a crosshatch or niger.
Should my male react positively to a female and should they bond and hang together? I know every fish has an individual personality and if there is a good chance that adding a female would be appreciated by my male and they will interact well, I am inclined to go this way.
Thanks.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your male? If they are both small, they may interact better. Whereas a bigger, more established fish is more likely to respond aggressively to new fish in it's territory. The crosshatch would probably be a similar experience. Those two triggers have created hybrids in the past, but behaviorally they may not interact all that much.

I also think Niger triggers are pretty naughty in reef tanks, they like to rearrange things to their liking and will be rough on your inverts.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They could interact well with each other since Blue Throats are pretty passive. Definitely use an acclimation box to make sure there's no aggression with the new addition. If there is aggression, you can easily remove and take back to the LFS.

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair of blue throats for 6 months or so. The male died unexpectedly, no awkward behavior, no aggression, everything seemed totally normal. I suppose it had to either be a sting from the foxface (unlikely??) or an internal infection or parasite.
I have been thinking about adding another male to join her. Love me some triggers!
I have heard very mixed experiences with aggressive females and levels of tolerance. I wish you luck and ask that you share your experience!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back