Bone cutters vs Diagonal wire cutters

xiholdtruex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello have been reading around looking for ways to cut corals. Has anyone tried diagonal cutters to propagate coral?
If not what bone cutters do people recommend. Trying to put together a small fragging kit on a budget.

Thanks in advance

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bone cutters are typically made of high grade stainless steel and are designed to make clean cuts.

Diagonal pliers are made of regular hardened steel and will inevitably rust and that’s not good for your corals. Also they will crush, not cut coral.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Bulk Reef Supply has a wide variety of fragging tools to pick from.
I've used several different wire cutters over the years and one thing I have found to be consistent was, that if it isn't a fairly high grade of stainless steel, what ever you use will rust pretty fast.
Ecotech sent me a some 8" stainless steel bone cutters a few years ago that have lasted, but are showing rust in places.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diagonal cutters will rust. I have a pair I used just to cut the stems off the frag plugs and bone cutters for the coral. I like the diagonal.cutters for the stem over the bone cutters bc they're stronger and it wont dull the bone cutters for a clean cut when you need them.

I have a pair of the brs large bone cutters, small bone cutters, and a pair of long forceps. A scalpel is good too if you do softies.

U

User1

View Badges
Ok, let me just be the odd man out here...

Don't frag! Upgrade!

WilliamBowman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've a pair of Knipex diagonal cutters. What I like best about this tool is that it really considers the user. It allows me to work more efficiently and accomplish more in the field while reducing my physical stress.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you use the same bone cutters for fragging that you use for cutting the stem off the frag plugs, or do you have separate cutters for each?

I'm wondering whether cutting the frag plugs will blunt the cutters and don't know how sharp they need to be for cutting the corals. Or am I over-thinking this?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Do you use the same bone cutters for fragging that you use for cutting the stem off the frag plugs, or do you have separate cutters for each?

I'm wondering whether cutting the frag plugs will blunt the cutters and don't know how sharp they need to be for cutting the corals. Or am I over-thinking this?
I use the same cutters for both.
I've had the same bone cutter for several years and still works fine.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back