Booster pump tuning screw

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the Aquatec booster pump and it doesn't change my psi at all. I've got it hooked up after the 3rd canister or 2 carbon block, before my membranes. Is my pressure gauge off? My psi without Is 65psi. When I turn on the pump, it's doesn't move the needle, lots of shaking though. I turn the set screw at the top but I've almost completely unscrewed it and tightened it down with zero results! I'm a goof and mess some things up, so I'm not here to dump on the pump. Probably operator error. Need some help figuring this out. Optimally, it's what I wanted to get the psi to 90psi for the best performance from rodi. I'm lost

kenbennedy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquatec instructions show it directly between the water source and first canister, and that has worked for me to go from about 50psi to 90psi. Is there a reason you don’t have it before the first filter? Maybe try that, it should be easy enough to change. Perhaps the filters in the canisters drop the pressure too low for the pump to recover it. Where is your pressure gauge in the system? Were you at 65psi at the wall or at the place where the booster pump now is?

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquatec instructions show it directly between the water source and first canister, and that has worked for me to go from about 50psi to 90psi. Is there a reason you don’t have it before the first filter? Maybe try that, it should be easy enough to change. Perhaps the filters in the canisters drop the pressure too low for the pump to recover it. Where is your pressure gauge in the system? Were you at 65psi at the wall or at the place where the booster pump now is?
The booster is after the canisters, I was always told they're not meant for 90psi. Pressure gauge is before booster, smacking own forehead! Omg! I'm not the brightest bulb!

Attachments

• 20211224_132908.jpg
    20211224_132908.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 54

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My booster is in line with water source before any rodi filtration. Gets my well from 40 up to 75

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could leave the gauge where it is and add a second one after the membrane. This will allow you to watch trends to see when the pre-filter/carbon are getting clogged. Same with the membrane

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My booster is in line with water source before any rodi filtration. Gets my well from 40 up to 75
My psi is 65 without the booster, I was hoping to get it up to 90 per brs recommendations. I'll have to play around a bit and see what works?

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could leave the gauge where it is and add a second one after the membrane. This will allow you to watch trends to see when the pre-filter/carbon are getting clogged. Same with the membrane
I'll have to do something like that! Still feeling pretty silly at this point.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My psi is 65 without the booster, I was hoping to get it up to 90 per brs recommendations. I'll have to play around a bit and see what works?
If this is tapwater pressure, it may be enough without the booster pump.
I'd be inclined to test pressure before and after each stage to see what is happening.
Could be you don't even need the pump.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the way your picture reflects the placement of the pump should work fine. Where is your pressure gauge (don’t see in picture)?

Logical_Plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 psi is at the edge of the fitting rating. You could get a leak over time. Especially if you are measuring 90 at the membrane input and pump is pre-sediment filter. There is some pressure drop across each canister.

I ran at 90 psi to start, like that and the check valve in the RO membrane output line connector failed. Could be coincidence, could have been over rating.

80psi is still super efficient.

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the way your picture reflects the placement of the pump should work fine. Where is your pressure gauge (don’t see in picture)?
It's after the first 3 cartridges, before membranes. Ordered one to put after membranes but it won't work

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I basically ordered the gauge for nothing. BRS said there's no measurable pressure coming from the membranes?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like your pump is bad.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See what the pressure gauge reads without the pump in line.
Hook it up between your tap water and the first canister. Turn it on. If the pressure does not change tighen or loosen the set screw. If it does not change then I think the pump is bad.
Maybe the diaphram is ripped or not connected to the part that moves it back and forth.

OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See what the pressure gauge reads without the pump in line.
Hook it up between your tap water and the first canister. Turn it on. If the pressure does not change tighen or loosen the set screw. If it does not change then I think the pump is bad.
Maybe the diaphram is ripped or not connected to the part that moves it back and forth.
PSI is always the same u less the washers on. 67psi. The pump makes the needle shiver but never build up?

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds as if your pump is bad. If there's no change between it removed and installed, and you've messed with the screw all the way in and out, I'd look for an exchange if the pump is under warranty.

Still, 67 system psi is enough so I think you could just do without the pump.
Place one gauge on your source line before your prefilter, and one before your RO membrane. If you still have 55-60psi before the membrane call it a day!

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS said there's no measurable pressure coming from the membranes?
I may have mislead you when I wrote to put the second gauge after the membrane(s)
It's probably true there's low/no pressure after the membrane.
As I recently wrote, place the second gauge before the membrane. This will allow you to monitor the prefilter/carbon filter status. When your filters are new, make a note with the date and the pressures before the prefilter/carbon filter.
I never had my pressure drop low enough between cartridge changes to reduce pressure or raise my output TDS or pre-membrane PSI, but I'd feel that if your input is 65ish and dips below 50ish before the membrane, then I'd be inclined to replace the prefilters. If at that point I still don't see at least 55-60psi before the membrane, then I'd be inclined to change the membrane.
This is all guesswork on my part but gives you some rough numbers to work with.

Maybe a member who works with these units will be able to give you more specific numbers/advice.

@Water Dog

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rookums Reef

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have mislead you when I wrote to put the second gauge after the membrane(s)
It's probably true there's low/no pressure after the membrane.
As I recently wrote, place the second gauge before the membrane. This will allow you to monitor the prefilter/carbon filter status. When your filters are new, make a note with the date and the pressures before the prefilter/carbon filter.
I never had my pressure drop low enough between cartridge changes to reduce pressure or raise my output TDS or pre-membrane PSI, but I'd feel that if your input is 65ish and dips below 50ish before the membrane, then I'd be inclined to replace the prefilters. If at that point I still don't see at least 55-60psi before the membrane, then I'd be inclined to change the membrane.
This is all guesswork on my part but gives you some rough numbers to work with.

Maybe a member who works with these units will be able to give you more specific numbers/advice.

@Water Dog
I spoke with BRS and they're sending out another booster pump. I'll put a gauge as you suggested and I will report back! And thanks for the help!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back