Boosting PH

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been thinking about getting a CO2 scrubber due to my carx. However, when I leave my sump area open to the room, it doesn’t change my pH much at all. I added an air stone too for night time when the lights are off, but it doesn’t do much either. Finally, I have a fan down there circulating air to help with the gas exchange. None of this is really helping. I use Kalkwasser as well to help boost the pH, but it doesn’t get it up to the 8.2-8.3 target range. Want to get it up to help coral growth and hopefully coloring as well. Thoughts on boosting the pH. Bringing a line in from outside is not really an option. Are there CO2 scrubbers that don’t need their media changed out every week or two? I can’t add anything on the top of my skimmer due to space. So recirculating may not work. Thanks all!

gentlefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4AA4CEE2-E988-41C0-9125-711E5E48B3D5.png

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a calcium reactor then ambient CO2 reduction isn't going to help, unless ambient CO2 is a problem. You will need to use something in the tank to solve the PH problem.

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently my pH is between 7.7-7.9. Occasionally I’ll hit 8.0, but that’s rare. I’ll look at the above recipe. I just don’t want anything that is going to raise alk too. However, I know most of the things that raise pH also raise Alk.

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you run your carx?
A properly tuned carx will not affect ph.
What was the ph before adding a carx.
I run a carx. Ph at night 7.9, ph lights on 8.2.
I have it turned way down right now due to the Kalkwasser. However, I had it running just past a fast drip with my chamber at 7.4 and dropping to get my alk where it needed to be. However, to minimize the amount of CO2, I turned my chamber down to 6.8 and slowed the drip down to 1ml/min for the time being. I see about a .2 increase without the carx online.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run no controller or ph probe.
Just set bubble rate and flow to get 20+dkh effluent. It sounds like your dumping excess co2 into the tank.
Checkout jda here he explains correct setup.
Its pretty simple.
Surface agitation of your tank helps gas exchange too.

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been thinking about getting a CO2 scrubber due to my carx. However, when I leave my sump area open to the room, it doesn’t change my pH much at all. I added an air stone too for night time when the lights are off, but it doesn’t do much either. Finally, I have a fan down there circulating air to help with the gas exchange. None of this is really helping. I use Kalkwasser as well to help boost the pH, but it doesn’t get it up to the 8.2-8.3 target range. Want to get it up to help coral growth and hopefully coloring as well. Thoughts on boosting the pH. Bringing a line in from outside is not really an option. Are there CO2 scrubbers that don’t need their media changed out every week or two? I can’t add anything on the top of my skimmer due to space. So recirculating may not work. Thanks all!
running a calcium reactor and co2 scrubber is like picking up your trousers from the dry cleaners, traveling to a windy pinnacle, ticking into a strong wind and going back to the drycleaners for clean pants...

not exactly geared to your situation but you may learn a lot here. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i...-and-dos-for-stable-alkalinity-and-ph.784144/

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run no controller or ph probe.
Just set bubble rate and flow to get 20+dkh effluent. It sounds like your dumping excess co2 into the tank.
Checkout jda here he explains correct setup.
Its pretty simple.
Surface agitation of your tank helps gas exchange too.
I’ll check it out. I used a video of someone setting it up to ensure the end didn’t get clogged up. Can’t remember his name, but the video made it seem pretty easy and straightforward. So I was trying to tweak my carx to work using that method, but was looking for the pH boost of the Kalkwasser. However, the Kalkwasser is supplying more than enough alk, but not enough to boost the pH to where I need/want it to be. I have a ton of surface agitation as well as running an air stone at night in the sump while the lights are on down there to help combat the pH swing.

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All calcium reactors will reduce the PH of the tank. This is because you are adding Bicarbonate ( not carbonate)

Ca(HCO3)2(aq) → CO2(g) + H2O(l) + CaCO3(s).
Agreed. Just trying to figure out how to boost the pH now. I know the cause and I’ve tested it with the carx on and offline. However, I need to find a way to boost it without adding additional alk. I do appreciate the breakdown of it though!

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
running a calcium reactor and co2 scrubber is like picking up your trousers from the dry cleaners, traveling to a windy pinnacle, ticking into a strong wind and going back to the drycleaners for clean pants...

not exactly geared to your situation but you may learn a lot here. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/i...-and-dos-for-stable-alkalinity-and-ph.784144/
Gotcha. I will check out the article. Hopefully it can help me figure how to boost my pH without boosting my alk.

Edit: I read through the thread briefly, but it looks like adding lye is just me chasing my tail and it will add to my alk as well. Trying to make this work with my carx since it’s a 350 gal system and the demands of the tank will need the carx. Still all frags right now, but I’m trying to prep for longevity and stability.

Last edited:

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO2 is the sole reason your pH is low. Most people have this issue from high ambient co2 levels. You're adding carbonic acid, bicarbonate and calcium with your calcium reactor. If you also have high ambient co2, you're only further lowering pH with the airstone.

want to fix pH? stop pumping co2 into your tank

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in a CO2 scrubber and recirculate the skimmer air through it. Raised my pH to 8.35 from 8.05. Simple setup with amazing results. Recirculating means the media lasts months.

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CO2 is the sole reason your pH is low. Most people have this issue from high ambient co2 levels. You're adding carbonic acid, bicarbonate and calcium with your calcium reactor. If you also have high ambient co2, you're only further lowering pH with the airstone.

want to fix pH? stop pumping co2 into your tank
There’s got to be a better way than to stop using my carx. I don’t believe I have high ambient CO2 due to it being in the basement and when I keep the door open it doesn’t change my pH much at all.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an observation for whatever it's worth, CO2 is heavier than air so it will sink and pool up in the lowest point. So without some forced ventilation sucking it off the floor and out of the basement, it will just sit there. That's all I got.

OP
OP
PhantomHalo

PhantomHalo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To add, even when my carx was offline, the most I was seeing was 8.1 pH. That is the reason for finding a way to boost without raising alk. I may be able to try the lye, but like the article said, it may just look like a saw tooth going up and down when the carx is running.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back