Borrowing Par meter -- public thread

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone I'm noopsyche. Is there a reefer in San Marcos CA that can borrow a Par meter? Google found that there seems to be very little par meter can be borrowed. Almost all can only be borrowed from stores such as BRS, and they are expensive and need to borrow $80 once. The best is to have a generous friend with a par meter, but it can be a little hard for newbies just getting in. Borrow the par meter by cash pledge? Excuse me if the idea is unrealistic.
Any post would be helpful!

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would in terms be a commnity thing to do which is what we all call ourselves.....hmmmmm makes me ponder how much is community and how much is purely profit in the name of community

exnisstech

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would in terms be a commnity thing to do which is what we all call ourselves.....hmmmmm makes me ponder how much is community and how much is purely profit in the name of community
I like to consider myself a community member but I would be hesitant to ship/loan my par meter to someone hoping it wouldn't get lost or damaged.

Par meters are expensive sure, but so is most of the equipment we use. I ended up buying one just for peice of mind. If something looks off I can check par just to rule out a lighting issue or if I want to make adjustments to try see if I can get a certain coral to grow better etc. For me it has become a valuable tool to keep in my box. Sure $500 is a lot but it really isn't looking at all the other items I've bought. I've killed more than $500 worth of coral and clams because of low lighting that I didn't know was low. Maybe because I spent 38 years as an auto tech I'm used to over paying for the right tool to do the job, but the job is easier because of it. If you've ever been on a snapon tool truck you'll understand why the price of a par meter is a worth while investment, at least for me it was. I never minded loaning people tools but if they have to borrow it it also means they need it. Ramble over ;)

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to consider myself a community member but I would be hesitant to ship/loan my par meter to someone hoping it wouldn't get lost or damaged.
I wouldnt lend it to anyone unless I had undying faith that it would be returned working or replaced if not. I may trust 2, maybe 3, people to maintain that level of trust. Too many people would make the excuse that it is not their fault if something breaks. Ultimately, the only way I would probably do this is if I personally went to said person's house and did the measurement myself. Outside of that...full in agreement. Yes we are a community...but hopefully not a community of idiots.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable borrowing one from a person. I don’t want to be blamed for breaking it if I didn’t. If they came over I’d pay them for their time.

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Par meters are expensive sure, but so is most of the equipment we use. I ended up buying one just for peice of mind. If something looks off I can check par just to rule out a lighting issue or if I want to make adjustments to try see if I can get a certain coral to grow better etc. For me it has become a valuable tool to keep in my box. Sure $500 is a lot but it really isn't looking at all the other items I've bought. I've killed more than $500 worth of coral and clams because of low lighting that I didn't know was low. Maybe because I spent 38 years as an auto tech I'm used to over paying for the right tool to do the job, but the job is easier because of it. If you've ever been on a snapon tool truck you'll understand why the price of a par meter is a worth while investment, at least for me it was. I never minded loaning people tools but if they have to borrow it it also means they need it. Ramble over ;)
hahaahhaha o0o0o yes Sir, those Matco and Snap On trucks are the adults version of a penny cnady stores from back in the day. I am a driveway mechanic and if BRS had a aquarium truck I think we would all be in much more debt. I was mostly refering to our own communities within the area more or less or a lfs that operated like auto zone does with the tool loan program.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahaahhaha o0o0o yes Sir, those Matco and Snap On trucks are the adults version of a penny cnady stores from back in the day. I am a driveway mechanic and if BRS had a aquarium truck I think we would all be in much more debt. I was mostly refering to our own communities within the area more or less or a lfs that operated like auto zone does with the tool loan program.
Can you imagine if the Neptune truck or red sea truck came and parked outside the LFS for an hour . We'd all be screwed.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

More like a crack store once you start you are paying Snap-On every week forever.

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That or ice cream truck style roaming the neighborhoods and playing "Under The Sea" hahaha....No lie that got me intersted in the sea life way before Nemo ever came along!

Back