Botryocladia [Red Grapes]: Case Study

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the early references will be from Russ Kronwetter, free guide on macroalgae: red, green and brown at Gulf Coast EcoSystem site live.plants.

Marine Plants in The Aquarium" is an online resource for the identification and care of marine macroalgae and seagrasses in the saltwater aquarium. The guide features over 70 of the most commonly available species of marine plants with full color photographs, detailed descriptions and aquarium care. Many of the species included in the guide are available to purchase online from Gulf Coast Ecosystems. Click on each link below to begin the exploration.

Table of Contents

About The Author Introduction Marine Plants In The Aquarium
The Refugium Substrates Selecting Quality Plants
Aquascapes Lighting Reproductive Cycle
Filtration Nutrients Maintenance
Case For Caulerpa Green Macroalgae Red Macroalgae
Brown Macroalgae Seagrass Mangroves
References Glossary Online Articles

RED MACROALGAE (RHODOPHYTA)
The genus Rhodophyta is the largest and most diverse group of tropical and temperate marine algae with more than 2,000 species worldwide. Their dominant pigment is phycoerythrin, which gives off rich shades of red, orange and blue. Red macro algae are some of the most varied and striking of all marine algae and are highly sought after as aquarium specimens. Identification can be difficult in some species, such as Gracilaria, and some have slight variations depending on the location and depth. Although this index is not a complete listing, it represents species that are commonly available or sought after by marine aquarists. As new species become available to the industry they will be added.

Botryocladia is a beautiful specimen that does very well in the marine aquarium. It features stiff, lightly calcified branches with bright red air bladders. It resembles a cluster of grapes and is sometimes referred to as Red Grape Caulerpa, although it is not a species of Caulerpa at all. Depending on the species, it can grow in rather large clumps attached to rocks and coral fragments in depths of up to 30 feet or more. It is very hardy and seems to do well in aquariums with good water quality and low to medium lighting. There are several varieties available in the aquarium trade, but identification can be difficult as they all have the same basic characteristics.

Scientific Name: Botryocladia Sp.
Common Name: Red Grape, Red Berries
Origin: Gulf of Mexico, Atlantic, Pacific
Depth Collected: 15-130 feet
Maximum Height : 18"
Growth Rate: Slow
Light: Moderate
Temperature: 78-84
Propagation: Fragmentation, sporulation
Difficulty: Easy
Food Value: Very palatable, is readily eaten by Tangs and other herbivores
Nutrient Uptake: Good
Flow Rate: Moderate

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note depth collected at up to 130’. When I get it from the divers, it is a rich deep burgundy. If phyto shocked, it will loose its flotation balls and melt away. When adjusted to increasing light intensity, color goes from dark burgundy to fire engine red to yellow orange under intense light. I prefer to view my reef under 10K lighting rendition as it enhancers reds & yellows appearance.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Botryocladia will go sexual, which is normally attributed to Caulerpa. In one case, a 55G growout tank full of Red Grapes went sexual and all melted. One year later, as a coral frag tank there were sprigs of Red Grapes everywhere: on the coral plugs, on the egg crate shelve and in the clear HOB filter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dana Riddle
Russ Kronwetter diver/owned at live plants collects Botryocladia between 15’-130’. Past 15’ there is little red penetration below surface of the ocean. Yet, in my reef tank, I can use intensity to change color of red grapes from dark burgundy to fire engine red to orange/yellow.

It’s my belief that Botryocladia could grow closer to the surface and use red spectrum for growth but as a slow grower it can not outcompete aggressive macros, so in the wild, it grows in the blue spectrum and views best at 10K color rendition.

Last edited:

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dana Riddle
Russ Kronwetter diver/owned at live plants collects Botryocladia between 15’-130’. Past 15’ there is little red penetration below surface of the ocean. Yet, in my reef tank, I can use intensity to change color of red grapes from dark burgundy to fire engine red to orange/yellow.

It’s my belief that Botryocladia could grow closer to the surface and use red spectrum for growth but as a slow grower it can not outcompete aggressive macros, so in the wild, it grows in the blue spectrum and views best at 10K color rendition.
Interesting observations. Botryocladia species are usually found at depths of 6 meters or greater. As you stated, there is little penetration of red light at these depths, hence the alga reflects red light (due to the pigment phycoerythrin and others) and absorbs blue light for use in photosynthesis. I suspect the color changes you are seeing are due to reduction of these red-reflecting pigments. I've seen this happen in clumps of Hypnea when exposed areas were lightly colored red while shaded areas were richly pigmented.

Seabiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the early references will be from Russ Kronwetter, free guide on macroalgae: red, green and brown at Gulf Coast EcoSystem site live.plants.

Marine Plants in The Aquarium" is an online resource for the identification and care of marine macroalgae and seagrasses in the saltwater aquarium. The guide features over 70 of the most commonly available species of marine plants with full color photographs, detailed descriptions and aquarium care. Many of the species included in the guide are available to purchase online from Gulf Coast Ecosystems. Click on each link below to begin the exploration.

Table of Contents

About The Author Introduction Marine Plants In The Aquarium
The Refugium Substrates Selecting Quality Plants
Aquascapes Lighting Reproductive Cycle
Filtration Nutrients Maintenance
Case For Caulerpa Green Macroalgae Red Macroalgae
Brown Macroalgae Seagrass Mangroves
References Glossary Online Articles

RED MACROALGAE (RHODOPHYTA)
The genus Rhodophyta is the largest and most diverse group of tropical and temperate marine algae with more than 2,000 species worldwide. Their dominant pigment is phycoerythrin, which gives off rich shades of red, orange and blue. Red macro algae are some of the most varied and striking of all marine algae and are highly sought after as aquarium specimens. Identification can be difficult in some species, such as Gracilaria, and some have slight variations depending on the location and depth. Although this index is not a complete listing, it represents species that are commonly available or sought after by marine aquarists. As new species become available to the industry they will be added.

Botryocladia is a beautiful specimen that does very well in the marine aquarium. It features stiff, lightly calcified branches with bright red air bladders. It resembles a cluster of grapes and is sometimes referred to as Red Grape Caulerpa, although it is not a species of Caulerpa at all. Depending on the species, it can grow in rather large clumps attached to rocks and coral fragments in depths of up to 30 feet or more. It is very hardy and seems to do well in aquariums with good water quality and low to medium lighting. There are several varieties available in the aquarium trade, but identification can be difficult as they all have the same basic characteristics.

Scientific Name: Botryocladia Sp.
Common Name: Red Grape, Red Berries
Origin: Gulf of Mexico, Atlantic, Pacific
Depth Collected: 15-130 feet
Maximum Height : 18"
Growth Rate: Slow
Light: Moderate
Temperature: 78-84
Propagation: Fragmentation, sporulation
Difficulty: Easy
Food Value: Very palatable, is readily eaten by Tangs and other herbivores
Nutrient Uptake: Good
Flow Rate: Moderate
Platinum! These articles will keep me reading and reading. Thank you so much!

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Seabiscuit
I saw Randy’s response to your post on iron addition for macro, “It’s hard to put too much.” One of the articles that he wrote referenced iron storage mechanisms in macro algae and coral.

I saw this with a tumble culture of Gracilaria Hayi after addition of much iron, enough to taint 55G tank water reddish brown.. This was a macro production tank from macro cuttings. Hayi has flat lightly calcified leaves. After high iron addition, the flat leaves puffed up and were more spongy. The water cleared up in 24 hours with spongy leaves for a month. With a moderate dose on green macroalgae I noted always a vibrant darkening of the green.

With respect to your quest for NEMASTOMA, you should consider real live rock from the Gulf if Mexico as a source of biodiverse seed stick.

Last edited:

Seabiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Seabiscuit
I saw Randy’s response to your post on iron addition for macro, “It’s hard to put too much.” One of the articles that he wrote referenced iron storage mechanisms in macro algae and coral.

I saw this with a tumble culture of Gracilaria Hayi after addition of much iron, enough to taint 55G tank water reddish brown.. This was a macro production tank from macro cuttings. Hayi has flat lightly calcified leaves. After high iron addition, the flat leaves puffed up and were more spongy. The water cleared up in 24 hours with spongy leaves for a month. With a moderate dose on green macroalgae I noted always a vibrant darkening of the green.

With respect to your quest for NEMASTOMA, you should consider real live rock from the Gulf if Mexico as a source of biodiverse seed stick.

Thank you. My biggest concern in adding iron was my seahorses. I see that you have fish, so I can be more reassured. I have had that iron supplement on standby for months. I'll keep my eye out for live rock from the gulf too.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. My biggest concern in adding iron was my seahorses. I see that you have fish, so I can be more reassured. I have had that iron supplement on standby for months. I'll keep my eye out for live rock from the gulf too.

There are many sources of iron, including fish food. When I saw BRS TV using Triton Method on a heavily feed 300G SPS tank, I was amazed with at least 1 pound of raw seafood from the market everyday.

OP
OP
S

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently received some diver collected Gulf live rock some of which has struggling Bortacladia mixed in with several rocks. This rock was collected in 30’ of water 30 miles west of Tampa.

Earlier in the fall, I received some beautiful complete Bortacladia with attaching foot. Due to ravenous Asterina Starfish and grazing Hippo, I only salvaged a few display fragments, which I was able to photo adjust to more intense light with a color change to fire engine red.

Attachments

• 6A9A898F-328C-4ACA-B5A7-22F7962639E2.jpeg
    6A9A898F-328C-4ACA-B5A7-22F7962639E2.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    276.7 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 54

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back