Bow Front build

joshuamarmet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0159.JPG

Hello everyone,
I am new to the site but have been "reefing" for a few years now. I was gifted a Bow front 50ish gallons like ten years ago and it sat in the shed until we moved back to Colorado about six years ago. Had a real bumpy start with who we got advice from and waisted a lot of time and money. The tank has been running for four years now. It has always had the brown sand and some hair algae. Before the upgrade I ran GFO off and on, I now just run Cheato. Recently it has gotten worse spreading to the rocks. I was dosing Vibrant a month ago and have been moving things around in the sand as I have gotten new coral additions. They slightly go away when the lights are out and come out during the light hours. I don’t think they go through the water at night. I have read the sections on Dianos and Diatoms. I have done a dark period (48hrs) in the past but didn't help in the long run. My phosphate/Nitrates and others are zero or close to it. I know running low po4 and no3 can make them thrive. I have not yet looked at them under a scope. I have not done the coffee filter test yet either. I am getting my RODI from the LFS and storing it in Homedepot buckets I use Redsea salt. I haven’t tested the RODI water before mixing yet. I know old membranes can leach. I was worried that the buckets would leach somehow.. could this happen? My own RO/DI is in the future, and maybe a UV light because of this sand. I have slowed down my WCs as I heard a dirtier tank makes them compete with other algeas. I am running on MP-10 and have pretty good flow/turn over. I have lots snails three different types and a urchin. No crabs though! I also have the dreaded Aiptasia, got three Nudibranch for them about two weeks ago but haven't seen anything happen yet unfortunately. I Have used a peppermint in the past but have not had luck in keeping them alive. I will post more pictures in a few, I have having a hard time getting a clear shot while trying to take from the front any advice?

Well here is the stand being built... my first time doing this.
IMG_8841.JPG

Finished...minus the door. a little rough looking I know.
20180119_120312.jpg

The door is still in a slow progress.
IMG_9266.JPG

The door is held on by magnets the trim will be replaced and a handle will be put on.

Can not seem to program the sump to come on while the display is off, like the controller wont work rolling over midnight.
Anyone else have this issue?
IMG_0084.JPG

Life saver!!
IMG_0082.JPG

It's packed in there! I have better wire control now and only the one mp-10. The two sides of the door will be trimmed up and painted.
IMG_0080.JPG

Had a little bleaching of the Cheato, had to turn it down its at 80% now. I can't get the light programmer to work so its on a cheap timer for now.
IMG_0079.JPG

Well everyone I will post more pictures of corals and fishes later. Trying to figure out the focus and angle with the bow front.
I am happy to finally be sharing with you guys!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the family! Nice job on the stand. I personally would invest in an RO/DI unit. I just don't trust anyone else with my water quality. Your coral sure seem happy enough. Glad to have you with us!

OP
OP
J

joshuamarmet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black Sun coral
IMG_0164.JPG

Mushrooms
IMG_0076.JPG

Lepto
IMG_0077.JPG

Favia
IMG_0129.JPG

Darth Maul Porites
IMG_0147.JPG

More to come
Thanks for looking.

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G’day from Australia! You have some nice corals mate refuge's can be so effective that they leave little for the corals

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.1%
Back