Brain builder: How do I get smarter in the hobby?

How do I get smarter in the hobby?

• Experiment with reefing

Votes: 290 56.9%
  • Read books

Votes: 197 38.6%
  • Subscribe to magazines

Votes: 85 16.7%
  • Read Reef2Reef

Votes: 387 75.9%
  • Talk to other reefers

Votes: 295 57.8%
  • Watch YouTube videos

Votes: 335 65.7%
  • Listen to podcasts

Votes: 131 25.7%
  • Other

Votes: 42 8.2%

• Total voters

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the reading, and the video watching, prior to starting this hobby. However, I included ‘other’ because the main reason for my success is my LFS - I’ve been well educated first hand using experiences of their 2,500l coral farm set up as well as their display tanks. Such things as ‘fragging lessons’ have been freely given and all questions answered along the way. Living Reef Aquatics, in Dartford UK, has been a phenomenal find for me.

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read a bunch everywhere old stuff on reefcentral and reeftank and everything this wonderful resource also has to offer. You'll start to find people have different approaches. Find one school of though or general philosophy and then spend the first year following only that method and going very slow. Once things are stable then start trying different things and find what works for you and you will learn more on the journey without crashing out by trying to many variables at once

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
obviously arguing on forums is the best way...

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Learning from reefers here and talking to local reefers you meet along the way. I agree to some extent about YouTube videos and podcasts but that means knowing if the people doing them are knowledgeable. That might be hard to know when you're new to the hobby. Afterall you don't know what you don't know. I think finding those resources means finding a site like R2R first so you are guided in the right direction for videos, etc. BTW: Getting smarter is a lifelong journey. :)

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Establish a foundation of knowledge, start simple, dig in there, make some mistakes, but not too many and try new things. Best way to get smarter in the hobby is through personal experience.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which are your favorite books?
My most used reference is Ed Noga’s Fish Disease. I also like Stephen Spottes Captive Seawater Fishes. For reef books I’m more old school, Delbeek and Sprung’s three volumes.
Jay

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for experimenting. All the other options have great ways to learn info but, like someone mentioned, it is also hard to vet through the info. Sometimes I read some threads and it is interesting the very different answers you can get. Some sources like BRS have a lot to offer as far as documented experiments they have tried. I think it's important to remember they are not the only source of info in this hobby.

Getting your hands wet in the hobby offers a lot for learning. Of course you have to be willing to accept failure with that.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brain builder: How do I get smarter in the hobby?

This week we have been talking about brain corals, but what about your brain? What do you do to get smarter in the hobby? Do you experiment with your reef, spend time talking to other reefers, or maybe take in information from books and social media? There is a lot of information out there so where do you turn to learn? Tell us what you do to get information, what you have found to be an effective way to learn, and let us know where you think there are gaps in the reef education system!

AlgaeBarn_Books.png

Photo by @AlgaeBarn
I have to admit, being a book worm when it comes to Marine Biology makes me want a book shelf that is just marine books, so far I have a small box for them (I believe it’s an 18” cube). i have a few of the books seen on that shelf though.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on my new build am going to try the old school way it seemed when i had my first tank back in the day i had no algae and hardly to problems . i find now a days there are way to many things that ppl are trying to sell you just to make a dollar .

death-by-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't bother with books because all the ones I've seen are so old I doubt their usefulness. I do *enjoy* books, though, so suggestions are welcome. I do all the other stuff, though I haven't subbed to a magazine in forever.
Tru, every book I’ve ever seen about reefing was written b4 2010

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just drop this here, since "read books" is still so low in the rankings, maybe inspire more people to read. Used reefing books are (mostly) so affordable (except the reef aquarium vol 3....), and it's so easy to order used books online. Vetted information in a logical order, and, with the exception of LEDs, mostly still useful and relevant, would be so helpful especially with new reefers. I need to pickup copies of all of Julian Sprung's Reef Notes collection next.

Also, Ben and Rich have started offering reading suggestions in the new episodes, and it's fun to hear their recommendations.

1979fishgeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love books and take great pride in my library, I’ve been adding books to this collection for decades.

I believe that information comes from everywhere, then experience and time bring it all together. I’ve learn more from my mistakes than my successes.

Attachments

• 78F45170-6AD2-4F28-A82B-022C7A71DA6C.jpeg
    78F45170-6AD2-4F28-A82B-022C7A71DA6C.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 26

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s painful that ‘Read research publications’ wasn’t listed. So much of what I see debated here on the forum was researched and published years or even decades ago on a variety of topics (lighting, water parameters, feeding, types of food, dipping, diseases and medications, etc) for many of the most popular species we keep.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Read articles and build threads by others on Reef2Reef. Follow lots of smart conversations on Reef2Reef! Ask questions of other reefers on Reef2Reef! :cool:

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Common sense,
weigh what is said against the persons credentials
look at the tank build if they have one. See if all the person does is repeat whatsome else said. See if the person stands to gain something other than the satisfaction of steering you in the right direction. Learn to read between the lines. What are they not saying because it may not benefit them.
I love to follow people with no financial ties give advice and then as they gain fame see how the advice begins to take curves. Sponsors tend to influence a little bit. Hard to say a product sucks if its paying the rent.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back