OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Andrew's blue velvet damsel is still chill. He is territorial. He is being hosted by a chalice. He isn't really aggressive when other fish approach, he just moves forward a bit and they back off. The watchman gets the submissive response from EVERY fish in the tank.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's really low powered moonlights (typically under 45ma) they can be run directly off an arduino or pi. You can ramp up and down via timing routines and change the current at the pins which will dim/brighten the leds.

IMO most people use way too powerful moonlights. Even on a large tank, a few 5mm 20ma leds are plenty.

Also, it's not the brightness of the lunar cycle that effects habits of ocean dwelling creatures, it's gravitational pull.

Just my .02

There is also evidence that some creatures spawn based on the level of UV light emitted by the moon which, of course, varies in levels through cycles.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is also evidence that some creatures spawn based on the level of UV light emitted by the moon which, of course, varies in levels through cycles.

Hyper-sensitivity to UV is a trait in some organisms. There is such a low level of reflected UV (or the entire spectrum for that matter) that it only effects a few. I would love to see a long term study with actual measurements in the entire visible spectrum and true UV that correlates to spawning times for reef inhabitants. If we had that data, captive breeding may be a LOT easier to accomplish.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the full moon did have something to do with the snails. Or voyeurism gets them in the mood?

Originally performed by Nat King Cole but this version is more sultry.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend has two that couldn't be farther from what you just said. You literally have to leave the room or they won't eat. Watch them from the door where they cant see you ir they dart into the rocks.

I've had 2 coral beauties I tried to add in with my fish. My clowns destroyed both of them in hours. One I saved but later succumbed to a velvet outbreak. The other was so badly beaten up before I could catch it, it didn't make but a short time in QT.

*shrugs* I just dont see the aggression in dwarf Angel's. They are some of the most talked up aggressive fish, and all I see are wussys.
Try a flame. They can be monsters.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hyper-sensitivity to UV is a trait in some organisms. There is such a low level of reflected UV (or the entire spectrum for that matter) that it only effects a few. I would love to see a long term study with actual measurements in the entire visible spectrum and true UV that correlates to spawning times for reef inhabitants. If we had that data, captive breeding may be a LOT easier to accomplish.

And perhaps a combination of the gravity and UV levels creates a double whammy.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My girlfriend has two that couldn't be farther from what you just said. You literally have to leave the room or they won't eat. Watch them from the door where they cant see you ir they dart into the rocks.

I've had 2 coral beauties I tried to add in with my fish. My clowns destroyed both of them in hours. One I saved but later succumbed to a velvet outbreak. The other was so badly beaten up before I could catch it, it didn't make but a short time in QT.

*shrugs* I just dont see the aggression in dwarf Angel's. They are some of the most talked up aggressive fish, and all I see are wussys.
I dont remember what all you've got in that tank at this point but a couple more "dither" fish will hopefully break them of their skiddishness.
Ive only tried one dwarf angel the African Flameback and it was a giant dong. Teamed up with my 6-Line at the time to form a tag team duo to rival the Road Warriors.
The Swallowtail i have now which technically isn't a dwarf I sometimes see giving the wrasses a good spanking.

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have only seen a big population increase once before in my tank. I think it would be interesting to see if it happens next year too. Full moon in late spring/early summer.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And perhaps a combination of the gravity and UV levels creates a double whammy.

And there in lies the problem. Simulating the entire lunar cycle, gravity included, is near to impossible. For a viable commercial enterprise, waiting on lunar cycles to induce breeding behavior wouldn't work. One would have to figure out how to have multiple breeding pairs spawning at different intervals. Unless you had thousands of square feet and hundreds of breeders.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dantimdad happen to know the time span between eggs and visible baby snails? I'd like to see if I can guestimate the event on the lunar calendar.

It depends on the type of snail.

Generally, two to four weeks.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks can add a cover photo to their profile page now. Like this

F8072456-2128-4F11-8C78-59E65EE90DCB.jpeg

I kind of like it, but I will also say is a bit Facebook-ish.
:confused:
Yeah, it is getting more “Face-bookish.” I read that there was a “mad” emoticon available through the like button and Rev deleted it. They were afraid it would cause flare ups, which it probably would.

This “Profile Page” deal. Does anyone really use that? I am not really sure what the purpose is. I believe you can make posts and have conversations there, which would kinda be like public PMs. I guess the curmudgeon just never found a reason to use it. :cool:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 11.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 44 27.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.9%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back