Brand New 8 gallon bio cube

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate Tap a Talk. You don't get all the features of the forum. We have that problem on our local forum (also Xenforo). People can't see the portal (where announcements are always displayed) and complain they didn't know about meets, can't vote on polls, etc. I always just go to the regular site on my phone and have full function. Rant over. :D

OP
OP
Katrina71

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now we are down to heaters. Prefer titanium. How many watts? 300w? I know there are a lot of opinions on these. Any that stand out above the rest?

Last edited:

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS is really high on the Cobalt NeoTherm heaters. Not cheap, but in their testing, they found it the most consistent at keeping a stable temperature. Remember that most titanium heaters do not come with a controller, so that would likely be an additional piece of equipment to buy - unless you do get an APEX. You can get a stand alone temp controller, like a Ranco controller. They cost as much as some of the NeoTherm heaters though. You could try a InkBird controller, but there are reports of those not holding a constant temp. I have a couple of them and they did ok at first, but are drifting now at holding temp. The one I have on a tank now is set at 78° and it is showing 80.2 at the moment.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using Finnex titanium 300 watters on my 125 - with an APEX controller and possibly Ranco controllers on each one for an emergency back up to turn them off, should the APEX malfunction..

fabutahoun

Angels and Acros
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on the Via aqua?
I used it before, lasted for a year until it water went inside the heater and triggered my GFCI . Replaced the via Aqua with Eheim which is higher quality and better made.

I control my heater with Apex, Actually all the tank is controlled by apex.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used several sizes of the Cobalt Neotherm heaters with no issues. I use dual 150W heaters in my tank for redundancy. The 300W they offer is essentially two connected 150W heaters. I run mine via the Ink Bird ITC 308 which is a great controller for about $30.

If anyone ever wants Cobalt Neotherm heaters, SaltwaterAquarium.com always has them ridiculously cheaper than every other retailer.

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/neo-therm-dual-heater-300-watt-cobalt-aquatics/

Last edited:

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure the Neotherm is what fried @Scurvy's tank before....
Yep it is... Any heater can/will fail but based upon the number of people that told me the same thing happened with their NeoTherm I’ll never try them again. I’ve good luck with Finnex titanium’s.

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of fried. My brain is mush. Trying to get everything sorted out for this tank is challenging. Please remind me I can do this.

D2C480E7-8A3E-4862-A14D-471697DCF341.png

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back