Brandon's IM Nuvo 40 SPS Reef

Jadakiss168

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! Now call me old fashioned but I like my tanks with a canopy! ;Hilarious

F50003FC-B305-48DB-A738-1EF4689CFD27.jpeg
RESPECT.

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EGGSELLENT!!!..

You have one more secret to reveal.. How high over the tank are the actual lights.. ?

Must know.. going to do this with a 4 bulb over a 32 AIO and I must know.. it is imperative to know this info.. ,You have it.. I wants it.. :)

Thanky in advance..

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EGGSELLENT!!!..

You have one more secret to reveal.. How high over the tank are the actual lights.. ?

Must know.. going to do this with a 4 bulb over a 32 AIO and I must know.. it is imperative to know this info.. ,You have it.. I wants it.. :)

Thanky in advance..
Thank you! It’s tough to measure the way my canopy is but it’s between 4 and 6 inches off the surface of the water. It gives me a nice strong blanket of light over the whole tank.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Brandon,
Again, I see pics and really admire your work on this tank. I didn't see mentioned, but how high above the surface are t5's mounted? The bulb combo is actually the same as my next combo, soon to update mine, replacing an actinic plus, with another coral plus, giving me 50/50 ratio of b+ to c+. Again, totally amazing job with your work of art :)

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Brandon,
Again, I see pics and really admire your work on this tank. I didn't see mentioned, but how high above the surface are t5's mounted? The bulb combo is actually the same as my next combo, soon to update mine, replacing an actinic plus, with another coral plus, giving me 50/50 ratio of b+ to c+. Again, totally amazing job with your work of art :)
Thanks! I’m glad you enjoy it! They are mounted around 4-6 inches off of the surface (hard to tell with the way my canopy is). The 50/50 combo is great and really gives a good balance of full spectrum for growth and color rendition as well as fluorescence. I think you will really like it! :D

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’m glad you enjoy it! They are mounted around 4-6 inches off of the surface (hard to tell with the way my canopy is). The 50/50 combo is great and really gives a good balance of full spectrum for growth and color rendition as well as fluorescence. I think you will really like it! :D

Thanks Brandon,
Yeah, been using t5's since 2006, I remember my old school sunlight supply tek unit, using kz bulbs, lol :) I actually just changed my bulbs, simply another c+, in place of an actinic+, liking the look already :) 4-6"....wow, thats some intense light, I am at 10" on a 20" deep, and scared to go lower, lol, but have 2 sb reefbars, likely they will burn corals before t5's. Anyway, I appreciate the reply, and again, magnificent reef!

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Brandon,
Yeah, been using t5's since 2006, I remember my old school sunlight supply tek unit, using kz bulbs, lol :) I actually just changed my bulbs, simply another c+, in place of an actinic+, liking the look already :) 4-6"....wow, thats some intense light, I am at 10" on a 20" deep, and scared to go lower, lol, but have 2 sb reefbars, likely they will burn corals before t5's. Anyway, I appreciate the reply, and again, magnificent reef!
My pleasure! Yeah I think it’s a very nice combo! And yeah I get around 600 par at the surface and 350 at the bottom, makes for good growth and color! ;Hilarious And yes you would definitely do more harm with the LEDs than the T5s but based on your thread you are in great shape now, congrats!

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pleasure! Yeah I think it’s a very nice combo! And yeah I get around 600 par at the surface and 350 at the bottom, makes for good growth and color! ;Hilarious And yes you would definitely do more harm with the LEDs than the T5s but based on your thread you are in great shape now, congrats!

Hey Brandon,
Thanks for the compliment, my reef is a work in progress, but on a decent path. That is some crazy par man! I am lowering t5's and cutting % on leds to 60% vs. 100%, thanks for the inspiration my friend :)
Cheers

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Brandon,
Thanks for the compliment, my reef is a work in progress, but on a decent path. That is some crazy par man! I am lowering t5's and cutting % on leds to 60% vs. 100%, thanks for the inspiration my friend :)
Cheers
No problem! It’s a testament to your determination! Yeah I guess lol. The Caribbean tank I run at work has around 1000 PAR at the surface! ;Hilarious

Just go slow with lowering the fixture and watch for a few weeks before dropping it down again. Slower is better!

Perry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem! It’s a testament to your determination! Yeah I guess lol. The Caribbean tank I run at work has around 1000 PAR at the surface! ;Hilarious

Just go slow with lowering the fixture and watch for a few weeks before dropping it down again. Slower is better!

Yeah, you're living the coral dream my friend :) I grew up on Daytona Beach, born and raised 2nd gen on mom's side, 3rd gen on my father's :) Believe it or not, at 49, I still surf :) but not as well as I used to, but still on short boards, lol. I love the Caribbean tank, so cool to be involved in such a project! BTW, only lowered t5's by an inch, going to let t5's do the lifting. Anyway, keep up the great work, and happy reefing :)

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, you're living the coral dream my friend :) I grew up on Daytona Beach, born and raised 2nd gen on mom's side, 3rd gen on my father's :) Believe it or not, at 49, I still surf :) but not as well as I used to, but still on short boards, lol. I love the Caribbean tank, so cool to be involved in such a project! BTW, only lowered t5's by an inch, going to let t5's do the lifting. Anyway, keep up the great work, and happy reefing :)
Well I won’t say it’s not cool to be able to care for that tank! Yeah Florida is a great place to grow up and live. Thanks you too!

Urbs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Killer tank Brandon! What kind of sand are you using and how do you keep it from blowing all over lol? Beautiful work man!

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Killer tank Brandon! What kind of sand are you using and how do you keep it from blowing all over lol? Beautiful work man!
Thanks! I use CaribSea Special Grade reef sand. I feel like it’s a good compromise between heavy enough to not blow around and small enough to look aesthetically pleasing. :D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back