OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Brandon! I am wondering what your method for keeping your sand clean. Do you vacuum it regularly or do the tank inhabitants and creatures keep it clean for you? Thank
Hey! I vacuum it every week with my water change. It’s super quick and easy and it’s spotless. :D

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you vacuum your work tank weekly as well? The Caribbean reef.
Unfortunately I don’t have enough time to do that on a regular basis at work, so I can see a pretty obvious difference in the appearance of the sandbed. I still try to do a portion of the sandbed every few weeks though because I think it’s really important.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As always, thanks for your honest responses! Keep the updates coming, we really enjoy them!
No problem! There’s no reason for me not to be! If people want to know how I do things I’ll tell them and I’ll do my best to explain why I do them that way. And will do!

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Valentines Day to all the other reefers out there!

6F215621-8A07-4FE4-9BA5-9F47091F9877.jpeg

DonDrummond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a lovely reef!!!
Curious as to what pump you use in your ATO that handles the abrasives of kalk— considering adding kalk but I don’t think the tunze ato pump can handle kalk very well

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a lovely reef!!!
Curious as to what pump you use in your ATO that handles the abrasives of kalk— considering adding kalk but I don’t think the tunze ato pump can handle kalk very well
Thank you! Funny you should say that, I use the Tunze Osmolator Nano for my kalkwasser. It’s been pretty solid for me!

DonDrummond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you just mix the kalk in with reservoir? Or are you pushing reservoir water through a kalkreactor of some sort? I’ve heard of some reefers using their tunze osmo pumps in straight kalk and just replacing them whenever they die cuz they’re cheap $20 pumps. Honestly I’ve never tried it but have read a few times of people saying it’ll kill the little tunze pumps. But then again- if they last a year instead of three that’s not too bad financially lol

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And you just mix the kalk in with reservoir? Or are you pushing reservoir water through a kalkreactor of some sort? I’ve heard of some reefers using their tunze osmo pumps in straight kalk and just replacing them whenever they die cuz they’re cheap $20 pumps. Honestly I’ve never tried it but have read a few times of people saying it’ll kill the little tunze pumps. But then again- if they last a year instead of three that’s not too bad financially lol
Yes I mix kalkwasser into my ATO reservoir and let the pump top off as needed. So far this pump has lasted me around 3 years of non-kalkwasser use plus another 1.5 years of use with kalkwasser so I think they are made pretty well. Hopefully I didn’t just jinx myself! ;Hilarious

DonDrummond

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good enough for me to give it a try.
And don’t worry- I just put a force field around you preventing any jinx on the aforementioned subject
Again- LOVE your slice of the ocean. We have very similar tastes in sticks and fish although this is a second time around for me with a 25 gallon nano— stability is harder w this size tank and as always is the key to top level reefing where you reside✌️

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s good enough for me to give it a try.
And don’t worry- I just put a force field around you preventing any jinx on the aforementioned subject
Again- LOVE your slice of the ocean. We have very similar tastes in sticks and fish although this is a second time around for me with a 25 gallon nano— stability is harder w this size tank and as always is the key to top level reefing where you reside✌️
Thanks for the force field! I appreciate it lol. Give the Tunze a try, I’ve had good luck with them. And thank you for the compliment! The nano tank has definitely been much more of a stability challenge than my old 150. Funny to think bigger tanks are easier! ;Hilarious

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow you on insta. Glad to have this here. I am about to start up a Nuvo 25, hope it can handle my stick addiction eventually.
Thanks for following! Happy to share the details of my system! I’m sure you can have success with the Nuvo 25 but make sure you set yourself up for it. Think about what you want and plan ahead. Also, stability and a good maintenance routine will be key!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back