Breaking news on Apex

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Now they come out with this. This will obviously drive down the cost and value of the Apex Classic units.

New from Neptune - Apex EL
New from Neptune Systems. The Apex EL. EL (Entry Level). A lower cost option to the Apex WFI often referred to as gold. This system will give you access to the Apex world for under $500 bucks. You get everything you need to get started with all the great expandablility options Neptune Systems has to offer.

The ApexEL makes keeping your aquarium easier while also monitoring key parameters such as temperature, pH, and the health of your connected equipment, for under $500*

APEXel – THE ENTRY LEVEL APEX

• Lower cost version of its big-brother Apex
  • Prevents catastrophes by monitoring temperature and pH in your aquarium, takes corrective actions for you, and alerts you via your smart phone when things go off track.
  • Monitors your equipment – ensuring it is operating correctly at all times – and lets you know when it’s not.
  • iPhone, iPad, or Android app controlled. Also works on PC or Mac using any common web browser.
  • Tracks your manual test results, maintenance, livestock purchases, and tank observations and helps you correlate issues in your aquarium to the things that are happening inside.
  • Manages the full operation of equipment (lights, pumps, filters, ATO, etc.) on your tank with simple setup “Tasks” and an easy to use app.
  • Takes the place of many costly and cumbersome discrete components such as light timers, heater controllers, pump controllers, etc.
  • Expandable – Add more monitoring and control features as well as specialized Apex-ecosystem hardware as your needs require
  • Gives you the peace of mind to know how your aquarium is doing, instantly, from anywhere in the world.
The ApexEL is a self-contained monitoring platform built for reliability – for when things go wrong – It’s not just a toy to play with when everything is A-OK.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the opening post says - "Manages the full operation of equipment (lights, pumps, filters, ATO, etc.)"

So, if I plug in my wave maker can it change the speed & mode ?

RicSouza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captura de Tela 2018-07-31 às 23.55.43.png

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And VDM (0-10v) ports.

THAT's a disappointment, IMO.

ETA in light of Tony's post below:
I'm getting ready to purchase Apex. What purpose di vdm ports serve? It looks like if you're planning to upgrade over time, the full unit is best option for long run. Am i right in thinking that?

My understanding is that VDM ports can control many lights and pumps. Honestly, this is the main thing I need automation for (controlling Kessils through VDM, and my pumps through the icecap and fishstreet interfaces, and the lack of VDM is a deal killer in my book.

Especially since I'm not sold on the value of the pH proble, or the expense of Neptune's implementation of the temp probe (compared to an independent fail safe for two thermometers, which by redundance is inherently more reliable than the apex)

Last edited:

Tony Hight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting ready to purchase Apex. What purpose di vdm ports serve? It looks like if you're planning to upgrade over time, the full unit is best option for long run. Am i right in thinking that?

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The VDM puts out a 0 to 10 volt signal that can control output of third party devices, such as Tunze Stream wavemakers or some LED drivers. 0-10 is a standard, so there are quite a few things out there that can be controlled with the signal.

eb_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vdm ports lets you control anything that accepts 0-10 volt control like Kessil lights and some wave makers. I would prob have picked this one up if it was available. The 2016 APEX cost too much for what I need but the classic didn't have the eb832. This new model is a good balance. The vdm ports are nice but the power monitor per outlet is better. Plus the one link ports as well as two 24v DC ports.

NikoO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a classic :/
Are they really making it obsolete

Last edited by a moderator:

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Classic. Isn't obsolete all modules still work except the new ones.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems misleading that they say the Salinity and ORP probes are optional, since the Apex-EL does not have built-in ports for those probes which means you'd also need to purchase an add-on PM-1 and PM-2 modules in addition to the probes in order to connect them.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the classic doesn't go down I'm very invested in it.:(

It won't magically stop working one day or otherwise 'go down', but the EOL word was thrown around today in the stream. So don't expect it to continue to be updated to support the latest and greatest for much longer. Since this is basically an Apex Jr release to the 2016 Apex full, I can see them going EOL for classic models at the end of the year. It would also tie in to the Trident probable release date, and it would be an easy cut off for them PR wise ala Apple.

mic209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the classic doesn't go down I'm very invested in it.:(

Any modules you’ve added to your classic will work with both newer apex base modules. So when the time comes all you would have to do is replace the base module and now you’ll have a choice of 2 base modules at 2 different price points. For me, I’ve been an apex lite user since it came out years ago and I have never had a use for the 0-10v ports and I don’t think salinity is something that constantly needs to monitored. When Neptune stops supporting the classic/lite/Jr , I’ll be all over an EL version.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great option for a lot of people. Honestly, salinity and ORP are completely unnecessary for a lot of people. It’s too bad they don’t have at least one 0-10V port, though, as a lot of people will miss that. You can add it with a VDM module, but that adds $100 to the price.

I don’t think it’s misleading to say that salinity and ORP are optional - you can add them with the PM1 module, so it’s fully capable (as opposed to the Jr which has limited expansion abilities,) just not without purchasing the module. If you really do want to monitor these, you’re probably better off getting the full Apex, though, since by the time you get the module and the probes you’re within spitting distance of the standard Apex

Re: EOL for the classic, I would expext them to do that. The Jr is still a nice entry price point if you only need limited abilities.

Drauka99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the ApexLite all over again (I still have my Lite and its a perfectly good controller for 90% of tanks out there, better than the JR IMHO). I think the Classic and Jr(unless they release a new JR) will slowly be discontinued in the next 1/4.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back