Breeding betta fish...successful?

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have had success with egg yolk. You can try it, just be prepared to do more water changes.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people have had success with egg yolk. You can try it, just be prepared to do more water changes.
Ive been doing daily changes already, is that enough if i use egg yolk? If i have to do it MULTIPLE times a day then...

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im surprised they show no interest in the bbs.... what about daphnia??

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another food option for newly hatched FW fry is green water and/or floating live plants (which will house infusoria). BTW, you are getting invaluable advice from @LadyMac.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another food option for newly hatched FW fry is green water and/or floating live plants (which will house infusoria). BTW, you are getting invaluable advice from @LadyMac.
So if i just pick up any floating plants from a store they should have infusoria on it? Yeah i know ladymac s been super helpful

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried baby brine again this morning with no luck. Doing a water change in the afternoon to get rid of the egg yolk from yesterday that they also didnt touch

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So if i just pick up any floating plants from a store they should have infusoria on it? Yeah i know ladymac s been super helpful

Yes, virtually all plants will have microscopic organisms on them that the fry can eat.

Although it can foul the water like egg yolks, dirty sponge filters are also filled with microorganism and can be squeezed out into the tank. Additionally, I encourage you to do some internet research to see how to make your own green water.

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, virtually all plants will have microscopic organisms on them that the fry can eat.

Although it can foul the water like egg yolks, dirty sponge filters are also filled with microorganism and can be squeezed out into the tank. Additionally, I encourage you to do some internet research to see how to make your own green water.
Will do. When should the fry start dying from starvation? I’m at day 6

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will do. When should the fry start dying from starvation? I’m at day 6

If they are at day 6 then they are eating something. At this point it is a delicate balance between enough tiny food and clean water.

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion they may be too small for the baby brine shrimp. Before you spawn again, find a culture of microworms. Aquabid has a good seller with micro, Walter and banana worm cultures. Good small food that they eat well. They are eating on something , can you get any pics of them and the setup?

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion they may be too small for the baby brine shrimp. Before you spawn again, find a culture of microworms. Aquabid has a good seller with micro, Walter and banana worm cultures. Good small food that they eat well. They are eating on something , can you get any pics of them and the setup?
Not home right now but I will once I get home this afternoon

LadyMac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i was planning on trying daphnia but my LFS is closed today and all the other ones don’t sell them...ideas anyone?

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: they finally are eating i think. After the daily water change today, i took out one of the fry and put him in a small API glass tube. I added a few drops of the baby brine and watched him. (Super hard to see lol they were all so small and even the fry was maybe a few millimeters big). I saw him eat one and knew that this was probably what they had all been feeding on. Now we just gotta see what happens!

P.S. i m pretty sure some bugs laid eggs in the water...i opened the plastic wrap as one flew out...

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread brings back a lot of memories! I used to raise and breed bettas in college with a GF of mine. It was SO time consuming making brine shrimp, straining hard boiled eggs to just the right size, daily water changes, separating fry, etc., etc., etc.!! I think I worked harder raising those betta fry than I do with my saltwater tank today!!

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread brings back a lot of memories! I used to raise and breed bettas in college with a GF of mine. It was SO time consuming making brine shrimp, straining hard boiled eggs to just the right size, daily water changes, separating fry, etc., etc., etc.!! I think I worked harder raising those betta fry than I do with my saltwater tank today!!
Nice! I jsut buy the baby brine from a LFS and they dont eat the hard boiled eggs anyways. Haha it definelty is a lot of work! Now i think I should’ve raised two batches each time...would be a lot more rewarding in the end when i sell or keep them

OP
OP
NotFishyFishGuy

NotFishyFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did some quick math lol. I go away every summer for 2 weeks. Since i want to raise two batches at once, i wont be able to do it with this batch. If they all do well, in 4 months they should be near maturity. That would be April (also my birthday month :) ). If i bred another pair then and raised them it would be until august before they would be good. I’m probably going away in June or July. Looks like i won the able to try multiple batches at once until next year...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back