OP
sbash

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this did not go well for me either. They all got sick, not sure with what, but they started dropping like flies after the 3 week mark. Almost looked like ich, but there is CP in the water, so that is unlikely. The other fish did not show any sign of infection. Quite odd... I'm going to do more research before going on with this. Based on the general feedback, they don't seem to reproduce in any salinity more dense than brackish.

I will also not there was a lot of aggression around week 2, so I definitely put too many in the tank (30ish gallons). I'll scale back to 5, or split them up. I'm rebuilding my QT shelves/tank set up, so I will plan for this sort of thing.

There are lots of reports of long lasting mollies in salt water, but I don't want to 'experiment' on our little friends.

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the shop, we keep mollies in the coral tanks. Some of the orange ones glow under actinics. I'm not sure if they're breeding in the coral tanks, because we sell them, so the stock keeps changing. We do keep finding babies in the filter socks though. IDK if they're from pregnant mollies simply giving birth, or if they became pregnant in the tank.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a pair of blacks and they don't seem to like the strong currents too much. But they've only been in the tank a few days. Anyone have them in a "high energy" SPS reef?

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve thought about keeping a pair of mollies in my refugium to provide little live treats.

Although being a US native fish enthusiast as well, I would love a school of wild caught sailfins. They get huge in saltwater and are beautiful.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
I have fourth and fifth generation mollies in full strength salt in outside growout tanks for pods & macro. All colors have survived. At this point, their colors are mixed. They all get much larger when eating marine algae’s.

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just converted 5 dalmatian mollies to saltwater dripping over two weeks. They are now doing fantastically (about a week) in a low-flow "tide pool" tank attached to my reef, eating filament type algae that is not very attractive.

No breeding, yet, but I do see the behavior. One male and a harem of 4 females.

Occasionally one goes over the edge into the main reef and I fish her out and return her to the tide pool.

Bigdaddy05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep ballon Molly's and dalmatian Molly's both breed constant in 1.026 salinity eat everything and survive no problems started as a cheap add to qt tank now keep them in 5 different full salt tanks. No problems other then when in tanks with other big fish the baby's get eaten.also quick change from fresh to salt has been the best and highest success rate Iv had like within an hour acclimation

ARGYGANG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the shop, we keep mollies in the coral tanks. Some of the orange ones glow under actinics. I'm not sure if they're breeding in the coral tanks, because we sell them, so the stock keeps changing. We do keep finding babies in the filter socks though. IDK if they're from pregnant mollies simply giving birth, or if they became pregnant in the tank.
super old thread but figured id add if you are still active, ive had 4 mollies in my 90 for 6 months now and i find and remove babys from my filter socks almost every time i do my weekly wc so im assuming they are breeding.

Atl_aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
super old thread but figured id add if you are still active, ive had 4 mollies in my 90 for 6 months now and i find and remove babys from my filter socks almost every time i do my weekly wc so im assuming they are breeding.
I have 2 females and a male and they were not pregnant when I put them in 2 months ago. Last night they just had babies. Both females at once. I blocked the overflow with mesh and the parents don’t seem to bother them. They are the only ones in a 60 gallon tank

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 71 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.1%
Back