Breeding The Potters Angelfish

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice I wanted to get a pair my LFS had 4 2 xl the one I bought ~2” Probably less, that’s the one i got and another tiny one probably .5 inches smallest Angel I have seen I wanted to get them both to try and tried to pair them up but dude at the store conviene not to after geting home though about it went the next day sold smh should’ve went with my guts they were small enough to pair

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
God bless you!

Please keep us updated! This is by far my fav fish I have tried 3 so far but always seem to waste away because I can never get them to eat my last one lasted about 8 months but once coralline took over algae was not coming up he passed.

OP
OP
kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured it was time to give an update on this project. I have been tweaking with my larval rearing protocol of angelfish and it's paying off. Right now I am on day 16 of a batch of potters and multibar angelfish. They are doing great and they are approaching flexion. Here are some pics of this run. I will keep this thread up to date as the success continues.

IMG_20190704_232915637~2.jpg IMG_20190705_151352955~3.jpg 2019-07-13_22.27.21.jpg IMG_20190713_193435057~2.jpg 2019-07-18_22.11.30.jpg 2019-07-19_06.45.41.jpg IMG_20190718_124927153~2.jpg

OP
OP
kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any links to current threads of Karen's? Would love to continue to follow her progress, along with yours.

No, I don't know if she is still keeping a journal or not. We are in contact with one another and she has helped me a whole lot. I am grateful for that. She is a pro that's for sure.

Ej Chavex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any nuggets of wisdom in getting them to cohabitate with other angels. I current have a flame and cherub and they do well together in my tank. But I recently came a about a reefer looking to get rid of his golden Dwarf Angel due to it nipping at his mushroom go figure.. Lol
But he was just eager to get him gone I literally traded 5zoa frags for the Angel. I've been acclimating the Angel for two days now. He's stayed eating nori on the second day and a little frozen. I've been feeding the other fish in the tank in close proximity to the acclimation box so that the fish can begin to get a custom to one another as well as the nori feeder. But is there anything else I can do to improve my odds of a successful cohabitation? I follow your utube channel and have considered not risking the beautiful golden being bullied by both the flame and cherub. My local LFS said they be happy to take him for store credit. Which I would probably use to get another flame and try to get them to pair up with my other flame. Is there anything I can do in that scenario to help improve the success of pairing flames. Sorry about the long winded post and any help is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any nuggets of wisdom in getting them to cohabitate with other angels. I current have a flame and cherub and they do well together in my tank. But I recently came a about a reefer looking to get rid of his golden Dwarf Angel due to it nipping at his mushroom go figure.. Lol
But he was just eager to get him gone I literally traded 5zoa frags for the Angel. I've been acclimating the Angel for two days now. He's stayed eating nori on the second day and a little frozen. I've been feeding the other fish in the tank in close proximity to the acclimation box so that the fish can begin to get a custom to one another as well as the nori feeder. But is there anything else I can do to improve my odds of a successful cohabitation? I follow your utube channel and have considered not risking the beautiful golden being bullied by both the flame and cherub. My local LFS said they be happy to take him for store credit. Which I would probably use to get another flame and try to get them to pair up with my other flame. Is there anything I can do in that scenario to help improve the success of pairing flames. Sorry about the long winded post and any help is greatly appreciated.

Pairing angels is always best to find the smallest angel you can find and pair it with a larger angel. You don't want similar sized or two large fish.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did that a few days ago, I have a male flame angel and I brought the smallest one I could find. They got along within the first seconds.

I also added 2 heraldi. Unfortunately they are very close in size, but even so, they are getting along.

Promodcrazy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
37858926_10156048283994215_3400633265340547072_n.jpg

Out of many angelfish pairs I have going at the moment, I have one of my favorites making babies. The potters angelfish, endemic to Hawaii is a fish species that has been a favorite of mine for quite some time. I have a 3" male and a 2" female. They have been together since April 2018. They are housed in a 150 gallon, 30" tall FOWLR aquarium with two other angelfish species (purple masked and multibar angelfish pairs).

I am going to attempt to culture these beauties and share my experiences and results with the Reef2Reef community. Please feel free to chime in and subscribe to my YouTube channel for updates, past and future projects of marine ornamental fish aquaculture.

Here's a quick video of the potters pair spawning right before the lights turn off for the night:

Here's a quick video of a baby Potters angel about 9 hours after it hatched from the egg (aka prolarvae):

Culturing trials will be under way shortly. Stay tuned for updates!

Great going there, I just bought a potters angel female 2" and just put her in display tank yesterday after being in quarantine for 3 weeks she's eating pellets good and plenty of algea , my question is I've found a 2.5" male potter , would this female accept him after being in my display tank for a month longer than male would be introduced to her. This really has me doubting to do this as the female potter does not like a coral beauty that I had to remove. Any help would be appreciated.

0723191434.jpg

OP
OP
kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did that a few days ago, I have a male flame angel and I brought the smallest one I could find. They got along within the first seconds.

I also added 2 heraldi. Unfortunately they are very close in size, but even so, they are getting along.

Nice looking tank and video. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great going there, I just bought a potters angel female 2" and just put her in display tank yesterday after being in quarantine for 3 weeks she's eating pellets good and plenty of algea , my question is I've found a 2.5" male potter , would this female accept him after being in my display tank for a month longer than male would be introduced to her. This really has me doubting to do this as the female potter does not like a coral beauty that I had to remove. Any help would be appreciated.

0723191434.jpg

I like to buy a pair and add them to their display together. The little female has probably established a territory by now and adding a little larger potter might be problematic. It would be best to remove her, place her in another tank (QT tank without meds) and QT the new, larger potter and add them to display at the same time. That way there are no territories established and you kind of start from an even playing field. My male was 3" and my female was 2". They paired up instantly without any aggression.

OP
OP
kandymann

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potters Angelfish day 21.jpg

Just wanted to post a quick update. I took a video and picture yesterday of one larva. Today I am on day 22 with this batch. They are doing well and continuing to eat and thrive. I am not placing them under the scope unless one perishes. I do not know how many I have remaining. I will perform a tank transfer tomorrow to give an exact count. Here's a pic and video of one little angel on day 21 post hatch:

Potters Angelfish day 21.jpg

Last edited:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
37858926_10156048283994215_3400633265340547072_n.jpg

Out of many angelfish pairs I have going at the moment, I have one of my favorites making babies. The potters angelfish, endemic to Hawaii is a fish species that has been a favorite of mine for quite some time. I have a 3" male and a 2" female. They have been together since April 2018. They are housed in a 150 gallon, 30" tall FOWLR aquarium with two other angelfish species (purple masked and multibar angelfish pairs).

I am going to attempt to culture these beauties and share my experiences and results with the Reef2Reef community. Please feel free to chime in and subscribe to my YouTube channel for updates, past and future projects of marine ornamental fish aquaculture.

Here's a quick video of the potters pair spawning right before the lights turn off for the night:

Here's a quick video of a baby Potters angel about 9 hours after it hatched from the egg (aka prolarvae):

Culturing trials will be under way shortly. Stay tuned for updates!

This is awesome! Great job! If you need anyone as a tester for one of those potters angel baby's hit me up ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back