OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so the glass is a mess and I have a huge frag rack in the way. So how about some top down pictures? No cleaning required!!!
DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Don. Still not as striking as yours, but I'm working on it!

Thanks Steven. Got a local Reef2reef member coming by tomorrow to get some free frags from me. I don't want to throw any away and I'm running out of room quickly. Hopefully this weekend I'll get to do my minor tank reset.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look sweet ! !

If I may ask, in pic set 2, what are the names of #1 & #4. I really love their colors !

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look sweet ! !

If I may ask, in pic set 2, what are the names of #1 & #4. I really love their colors !
Umm... Coral #1 and #4? :p

I love them too, but I hate tracking coral names.
I think the first one is a Hawkins Echinata. No idea what #4 is.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do want to give an update on my fight against this algae. If I didn't know what to look for I would say it was clear at this point. But, using a flashlight, I can see that it is still hanging on in some deeper crevices. I'm 4 months into this fight and feel lucky that my tank is doing as well as it is. I'm giving myself 3 more weeks to try and eradicate it. Last night I added another dose of Fluco. I'm going to dose Vibrant every other day for these 3 weeks. Once that is done, I'm going back to every other week Vibrant dosing and putting my refugium back online. I'll be adding some live phyto, rotifers and copepods and work towards a healthier system. If it comes back after this.. well congradulations.. it wins.

anit77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel all the Fluconazole and Vibrant has effected the overall system?

When I tried to dose Vibrant every other week it complete decimated the spaghetti cheato I had and made quite a mess. As it fell apart small pieces went everywhere clogging pump intakes and getting stuck in my flow meters. The funny thing was the ATS GHA did fine.

On another note. Since I stopped dosing anything bacterial, mainly Vibrant & Waste Away, my Alk got much more stable. All the corals are doing much better too. Especially since I started dosing NO3PO4X while the ATS was down. I think I'll keep dosing a small amount of carbon daily just for that benefit. Blues & Purples have brightened up remarkably.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you feel all the Fluconazole and Vibrant has effected the overall system?

When I tried to dose Vibrant every other week it complete decimated the spaghetti cheato I had and made quite a mess. As it fell apart small pieces went everywhere clogging pump intakes and getting stuck in my flow meters. The funny thing was the ATS GHA did fine.

On another note. Since I stopped dosing anything bacterial, mainly Vibrant & Waste Away, my Alk got much more stable. All the corals are doing much better too. Especially since I started dosing NO3PO4X while the ATS was down. I think I'll keep dosing a small amount of carbon daily just for that benefit. Blues & Purples have brightened up remarkably.
I'd say my system is doing shockingly well. I pulled my chaeto before I started knowing it would turn to mush. When I pull what little gunk I can manage to find left it is harder to find rotifers and copepods than it used to be. I used to have a lot of colonial tunicates. I'm pretty sure that the few I can still see are dead. On the positive side, my vermitids have also taken a beating from this treatment. I'm sure some are still alive but they aren't spreading any more.
I worry about this more for long term system health than any other reason. My Alk consumption has stopped increasing in the last 2 months but hasn't dropped. If someone were looking at my tank they wouldn't suspect anything crazy was going on. Most shockingly, I no longer even have to blow cyano off my rock. As of last week everything is so clean that there is nothing for the cyano to feed off of. I have one small patch in the back left corner on the sand where I cant reach. I'm even at that rare point where the outside of my glass is dirtier than the inside. And yet this algae persists... ;Punch

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 94 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back