Brew's 187g slice of the ocean

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is very accepting about almost everything I do related to the hobby. Not sure setting up a 2nd tank for anything other than QT will ever happen. She seems quite content that this tank is in my office where I can enjoy it and little smell ends up outside the room.
Very true don’t push a good thing to far but I have a new found enjoyment with the frag tank and find myself looking at the frag tank way more then my main display

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one that can have their skimmer locked in for weeks, find it overflowing overnight, and have it work great again when restarted? I'm going to call it MSE for Mystery Skimmer Event. Happened again last night. Only thing I can figure is that something is spawning in my tank every few weeks causing the skimmer to go nuts. Fortunately, the Avast has sent the proper signal to my GHL controller to stop it every time so at least all it does is fill the skimmate locker now. I used to get bubbles all over my sump.

On a side note... trying to decide if I should go to MACNA in Orlando this year. It's tempting....

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I the only one that can have their skimmer locked in for weeks, find it overflowing overnight, and have it work great again when restarted? I'm going to call it MSE for Mystery Skimmer Event. Happened again last night. Only thing I can figure is that something is spawning in my tank every few weeks causing the skimmer to go nuts. Fortunately, the Avast has sent the proper signal to my GHL controller to stop it every time so at least all it does is fill the skimmate locker now. I used to get bubbles all over my sump.

On a side note... trying to decide if I should go to MACNA in Orlando this year. It's tempting....
Do it! I am planning on it! We can meet for dinner one night!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do it! I am planning on it! We can meet for dinner one night!
That would be awesome. Didn't realize you were going! Making a Disney trip out of it?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 99% sure we are going. I might even go alone if my husband does not want to go! :)
Working out details with my wife right now.... I'm excited because she may go! She won't go to the expo but I'm sure she will find plenty to keep her occupied around Disney. I thought for sure she would pass.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Spawning urchins can make the skimmer go crazy! The foam pillar almost reached all our GHL sockets once when they spawned in our soft coral tank. And the sockets were at least 50 cm away from the skimmer cup :p

BTW, I'm so jealous on you guys having MACNA every year.. I want to go too!! But it's too far away. So I vote you should go and then you can write about it here :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spawning urchins can make the skimmer go crazy! The foam pillar almost reached all our GHL sockets once when the spawned in our soft coral tank. And the sockets were at least 50 cm away from the skimmer cup :p

BTW, I'm so jealous on you guys having MACNA every year.. I want to go too!! But it's too far away. So I vote you should go and then you can write about it here :)
I've been so busy with work and stuff away from work I feel like I have no time to post on here! I miss all the time spent trying to figure out solutions for people.

I lost my Long Spine urchin a month or so ago, so no urchins left. Maybe my Conchs?

If this algae I've been fighting comes back I've had a short spine urchin recommended. Apparently there are a few strains of what look like hair algae that almost nothing but the short spine urchins will eat.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been so busy with work and stuff away from work I feel like I have no time to post on here! I miss all the time spent trying to figure out solutions for people.

I lost my Long Spine urchin a month or so ago, so no urchins left. Maybe my Conchs?

If this algae I've been fighting comes back I've had a short spine urchin recommended. Apparently there are a few strains of what look like hair algae that almost nothing but the short spine urchins will eat.

I'm surprised the algae comes back. Looks like you've got a nice gang of tangs who would keep all substrates well grazed. But I agree, some algae must taste worse than others to tangs :)

The long spined and collector urchin would probably eat anything. The tuxedo I don't really know yet. We've got some, but they are still pretty small and I haven't seen them in action that long.
Which species is the short spined urchin? We have one(got from a hobbyist(might have been @Lasse..)) but that one ate a bit too much corals so it's in the "penalty box" right now. Looked more like a common urchin(you know, a Swedish one ;)).

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have one(got from a hobbyist(might have been @Lasse..))
I can take the blame but the one that looks like swedish urchin - its not from me :) But at least 3 of the long spines come from me :)

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised the algae comes back. Looks like you've got a nice gang of tangs who would keep all substrates well grazed. But I agree, some algae must taste worse than others to tangs :)
You would think algae wouldn't stand a chance. 5 large tangs and a foxface along with a starry blenny. Nothing touched it. The Hermit crabs ignored it. The long spine urchin would crawl over it but wouldn't eat it. The snails won't go near it. Miserable stuff.

Which species is the short spined urchin?
I've been told to try the Echinometra Lucunter or rock boring urchin. Hoping it doesn't come back, but if it does this is what I will try next. Then comes the flame thrower.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had those in my old aquarium - and when I think twice - they maybe ended up at the museum........... They are effective but 6 in a 400 litres aquarium was a little to much. But I did not have any algae . PO4 was 1.8 ppm :)

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I've been quiet but I've been very busy with work and then went on a vacation to visit my son for a long weekend. We ended putting the dogs in puppy jail (boarded them) and since it was only 3 days didn't get a tank sitter. Other than once coral needing to be remounted everything looked fine when we got back.

Speaking of fish... our charter captain in Pensacola rocked! The number and size of red snapper we were catching was ridiculous. We had to take breaks in the first 2 hours to recover from all the 10+ pound fish we were reeling in. This was the highlight, had to have been pushing 20 pounds.
5bc9627e82c733f160870990b8e2bc06.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I've been quiet but I've been very busy with work and then went on a vacation to visit my son for a long weekend. We ended putting the dogs in puppy jail (boarded them) and since it was only 3 days didn't get a tank sitter. Other than once coral needing to be remounted everything looked fine when we got back.

Speaking of fish... our charter captain in Pensacola rocked! The number and size of red snapper we were catching was ridiculous. We had to take breaks in the first 2 hours to recover from all the 10+ pound fish we were reeling in. This was the highlight, had to have been pushing 20 pounds.
5bc9627e82c733f160870990b8e2bc06.jpg

Happy you had a great time visiting with your son!
How many of the Snappers did you guys keep?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy you had a great time visiting with your son!
How many of the Snappers did you guys keep?
None, they aren't in season. Really stinks because we would easily have hit our limit with none being under 10 pounds.

We were able to keep a 16" triggerfish but had to throw back the 14" trigger I caught. Triggers that size put up a heck of a fight.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back