OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that the dispars are schooling and it’s only been 3 days. That’s awesome.

I can’t wait to pick up my 8 new guys.
I think they are schooling (or more likely shoaling) because they are still new and nervous. I'm hoping they stay this way but wouldn't be surprised if they spread out more once they become more established.

I have 1 of the 4 squam anthias I started with. Murderer on QT Street.
Day 4 for me, no fatalities yet for me and athias. In fact, they all look like they are doing great. It's sad, but this is the longest I've had anthias without seeing signs of issues.

Last edited:

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_0006.jpg
Looks like the corals are growing. Nice work :)
And I really like the convict tang!

Good luck with the Anthias.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they are schooling (or more likely shoaling) because they are still new and nervous. I'm hoping they stay this way but wouldn't be surprised if they spread out more once they become more established.

Day 4 for me, no fatalities yet for me and athias. In fact, they all look like they are doing great. It's sad, but this is the longest I've had anthias without seeing signs of issues.

All of mine made it about 6 days in a 29g qt. Meticulously 1 by one. For 3 nights straight, they died. No signs, nothing. Straight murdered in the night. The sole survivor has the eye of the tigerrrrr.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are really getting good with that camera.
Thank you!

I should pull it out more often. No real excuse not too other than I have a very short window during a week day to get a good photo. Cloudy weekends are great for picture taking and we haven't had many of those.

I'd use that algae growing on the rock that you can see in the pics as an excuse, but it actually doesn't bother me. It's slowly going away thanks mostly to 2 of the urchins working on it and better nutrient control on my part.

And now that I think about it... adding 9 fish isn't going to help my nutrient issue much. oops.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

I should pull it out more often. No real excuse not too other than I have a very short window during a week day to get a good photo. Cloudy weekends are great for picture taking and we haven't had many of those.

I'd use that algae growing on the rock that you can see in the pics as an excuse, but it actually doesn't bother me. It's slowly going away thanks mostly to 2 of the urchins working on it and better nutrient control on my part.

And now that I think about it... adding 9 fish isn't going to help my nutrient issue much. oops.

Love how this is balancing, , I am starting to enjoy having fish a bit recently! :)

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm worried that my new Court Jester Goby isn't going to make it. Once I let him out of the acclimation box he went to a corner of the tank and didn't leave it for 3 days. I think he may have been obsessed with his reflection. He wasn't there when I looked this morning.
The positive is that he may have moved on and is exploring the tank but I think it is more likely he became hermit/snail food.
The guy is tiny, so if he is alive I may not see him anyway.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprisingly enough, I saw the goby tonight when I got home. He's gone again, but he was still alive as of feeding time. Still not confident in his success but at least he isn't gone yet.

I've been working on my MACNA plans. So far, this is where I'm at. I should be at the resort between 6pm and 7pm. From there I'll head to the ESPN restaurant on Disney Boardwalk to watch football or baseball. First thing Friday morning I'm going to head to Hollywood Studios to check out the Star Wars area with the goal of making it back for the 11am opening of the exhibit hall. If I feel the need, I'll skip the reception Friday night and head back to the park around 4pm to spend more time there and catch the fireworks show.
Saturday will be all MACNA all the time. I'll try to catch a shuttle back to the airport around 11am on Sunday.

Tickets purchased, plans made! Now I just need to figure out which lectures I want to make sure I catch.

Last edited:

JMM744

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can relate. Over about 5 weeks I went through 3 sets of trios of dispar Anthias. Very discouraging as they died one by one. Couldn’t get them to eat. Second trio had nureoma and didn’t last long at all. Ended up using baby brine to get them eating. With the last trio I get them in a 20 long but eventually one died. At this point I got them out of copper and into a observation tank with a butterfly. They just hid and acted terrified all the time. I have a 70 reef that is supposed to be taken down but still running. No fish in it. I finally put them in it and the transformation has been night and day. Now they come out in the open to eat and finally ate frozen brine yesterday. Getting bolder all the time.
Someone on here uses a reef tank set up to qt thier fish by just feeding them and having a pod rich environment and more comfortable surroundings . Makes a guy wonder......
Good answer.

I really meant to say “prophylactic chemical based disease management” but seeing it spelled out like that gives me pause.

You know what training I have and why is approach my tank the way I do, but on some level- I’m trying to create a balanced environment, why is it I’m trying to sterilize everything that goes in there? It’s starting to make less sense to me.

It’s like humans. We treat when they are sick. We don’t treat them for every possible contagion for 2 weeks of every month. We and our immune systems do ok.

I enjoy that challenges of this hobby, but man, it feels like you need an advanced veterinarian degree to even get a handle on it all .

Edit- thanks for the probiotic link. Appreciate it.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned something else on this software update that is very nice. I can resize and justify photo's to the right and the text will format to the left. Love the ability to do that, big visual improvement to my opening post!

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to look at your first post for the new fancy formatting and read through your specs only to realize how similar our systems are. Minus the level of success. ha! Meaning, mine is far less successful than yours.

On another note about anthias and QT etc. I had a bunch (5? I think) of the Ignitus anthias earlier this year. I QT'd to the full extent, prazi, copper 30-45 days total QT. I think one died in QT but the rest were wonderful. Never a sign of illness, ate great, etc. I added them to display, they all hid, never came out and proceeded to die one by one.

I haven't tried anthias since, but I really woud like to add some open swimmers to my tank. I considered just the typical lyretails for their hardiness but I don't know.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still fighting to get PO4 down and it's currently at 0.14ppm. I changed out my GFO and GAC tonight after work to continue the fight. And then, I had an #honestyinreefing moment. I plugged in the reactor pump and my sump filled with a red cloud. I was distracted and forgot to rinse the GFO before adding it to the tank.

Hoping that everything will turn out ok. Not one of my finer moments.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used more colorful terms, but basically yes. Oh man!

On a better note, the red coral with the funny growth looks like its about to split it off. Hoping it's still there so I can get a picture tomorrow night!

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used more colorful terms, but basically yes. Oh man!

On a better note, the red coral with the funny growth looks like its about to split it off. Hoping it's still there so I can get a picture tomorrow night!
one of the reasons I am glad I do not have a video feed going in my fish room! the bad words, they fly.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of the reasons I am glad I do not have a video feed going in my fish room! the bad words, they fly.
Feel free to PM me your best cursing videos, LOL!

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still fighting to get PO4 down and it's currently at 0.14ppm. I changed out my GFO and GAC tonight after work to continue the fight. And then, I had an #honestyinreefing moment. I plugged in the reactor pump and my sump filled with a red cloud. I was distracted and forgot to rinse the GFO before adding it to the tank.

Hoping that everything will turn out ok. Not one of my finer moments.
@Lasse did the same thing in his home tank the other week :D

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lasse did the same thing in his home tank the other week :D
Not exactly the same I use Rowaphos that should not be rinsed but I forget to put it in a filterbag. Now there is small black dots in my sand. I do not use that anymore - only 1-2 mm GFO.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately, nothing looked any worse for the GFO dust this morning. I'm very pleased that it is day 8 and all 6 anthias still look like they are doing very well.
No sign of the jester goby but he is so small that I'll only see him if he is in an obvious position.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately, nothing looked any worse for the GFO dust this morning. I'm very pleased that it is day 8 and all 6 anthias still look like they are doing very well.
No sign of the jester goby but he is so small that I'll only see him if he is in an obvious position.
Cool beans. My snafus usually are water issues. Got sprayed in the face again yesterday!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back