OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not put a plastic net cover over the overflow holes this way they can’t take that ride obviously leave the emergency pip open I case the others get clogged
Is there a downside to putting a screen over them?
The only downside I see is that it is more maintenance that needs to be done. You will likely have to clean them once or twice a week.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a plastic net in my Refugium to stop unwanted algae from going into my skimmer area that I clean about every 8 months
That gets the Refugium light shinning on it also
If it’s dark in ur overflow box I don’t think it would be as bad of maintenance as u think

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a plastic net in my Refugium to stop unwanted algae from going into my skimmer area that I clean about every 8 months
That gets the Refugium light shinning on it also
If it’s dark in ur overflow box I don’t think it would be as bad of maintenance as u think
My overflow box grows sponges that I think would clog a net fairly quickly.

Maybe it won't be an issue for her but I'm pretty sure it would be for me.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My overflow box grows sponges that I think would clog a net fairly quickly.

Maybe it won't be an issue for her but I'm pretty sure it would be for me.

@Brew12 - can you snap a pic of your overflow when you get a chance?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which part of it?

Where the teeth of a weir would normally be and, if possible, a pic from above, looking down, into the OF.

Hope this makes sense.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where the teeth of a weir would normally be and, if possible, a pic from above, looking down, into the OF.

Hope this makes sense.
How about I send you a link to it instead? It will show much better than any picture I could take.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of it. Close up too. We like pictures.
Speaking of pictures... I need to get my tank cleaned up and get some new ones taken this weekend. With everything life has thrown at me, its been neglected. Talking about grateful for having automatic alkalinity monitoring. Since I started using the Chroma my dosing needs have gone up by over 25ml per day. I'd never have kept up with the changes without it.

I need to get in the tank and do some serious coral pruning. Some of the stags are shading the corals around them. Not to mention that I have broken pieces of monti cap littering my sand. I think I'll start saving the pieces for if/when I switch to a calcium reactor.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My poor tank is feeling neglected. I have pieces of broken monti caps that are 4" wide laying on the sand bed. My orange and green Digitata's both need to be cut back. I could probably make over 30 frags 1" or larger out of the purple stag that needs trimming. My Green Slimer is growing into a purple acro. My red Acan is about to split off 2 more clones that I should probably glue to frag plugs or at least remove from the tank so they don't end up where I don't want them.

Just no motivation today to get it done. I have a lot scheduled for tomorrow but maybe it will happen then.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My poor tank is feeling neglected. I have pieces of broken monti caps that are 4" wide laying on the sand bed. My orange and green Digitata's both need to be cut back. I could probably make over 30 frags 1" or larger out of the purple stag that needs trimming. My Green Slimer is growing into a purple acro. My red Acan is about to split off 2 more clones that I should probably glue to frag plugs or at least remove from the tank so they don't end up where I don't want them.

Just no motivation today to get it done. I have a lot scheduled for tomorrow but maybe it will happen then.

Sending good vibes, Steve.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life happens. And uve had quite your share over the last few months. Dont stress too much about it. Most people wish they could complain about too much growth! You sound like the guy with the best lawn in town upset that he has to cut it twice a week! ;)

Chin up. Things will swing back up for ya soon bud.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life happens. And uve had quite your share over the last few months. Dont stress too much about it. Most people wish they could complain about too much growth! You sound like the guy with the best lawn in town upset that he has to cut it twice a week! ;)

Chin up. Things will swing back up for ya soon bud.
Not upset that I have to cut it twice a week, upset that I can't find the time and motivation to cut it 2 times a week! But you are right, its a nice problem to have.

I did get in the tank to do some quick pruning. I should have cut a bunch more but I only cleared the areas where coral were killing each other. I let the shading go.

I let the clipping fall to the sand bed. I may try and find time to glue the better pieces onto frag plugs tonight. I have a hard time letting 4" frags of the purple stag and orange digitata go into a bucket to die for possible calcium reactor media usage. Seems so wrong.. :(

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I'm pulling the trigger on a calcium reactor. I'm not sure if it is the Chroma spurring my crazy growth spurt or something else, but I'm up to over 270ml daily of each 2 part right now and demand keeps going.

Working on gathering everything I need to start switching over. The other nice thing is that it will eventually free up 3 dosing heads so I can automatically add other things. Saves me from buying another 4 head doser. I do plan on continuing with the 1.4L of Kalk per day to help with pH.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back