OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work! I massively redid my first post recently too. I am considering blowing out the second. The thread has gotten huge. I had 10 pages before I received an unbroken aquarium. Does not help that I am long winded. I did a table of contents too, mostly so I could find things for pictures and reference. @Fudsey was ready to contract me to do his next, LOL.
Your first post is above and beyond! All I did with mine is update the equipment in use since I changed my lighting around.

I think it's only smart to have an electrician on standby for my lighting mod. (Still blaming you:))
I'm not sure what you are doing with lighting. I'll have to check out your build thread. :eek:;)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your first post is above and beyond! All I did with mine is update the equipment in use since I changed my lighting around.

I'm not sure what you are doing with lighting. I'll have to check out your build thread. :eek:;)
Nobody cares about my build thread. I don't have a trachy.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I care, Trachy or not. I love my corals but I think I will always be a fish kinda guy.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hear ya!

I believe there is a secret society of trachy owners, SSTO for short!

And I think they are all out to ignore non members and their build threads!

Call it a conspiracy theory if you want, but I believe!

Do you see how they get all googly eyed over their trachy pics!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya!

Hey now!!! The last two pictures other than cleaning up my FTS's were of fish, not my Trachy! o_O

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya!

The first rule of SSTO is that you do not speak about SSTO!
... D'oh! :p

DSC_0003 by sshipuk, on Flickr

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pictures this morning but I will give a quick update. Will all of the changes in my tank lately I have been keeping a close eye on alkalinity. I figured my consumption would drop since I broke a few corals and changed out light fixtures. Instead, the opposite has happened. Before the changes my Alk was stable at 7.7dkh. 4 days ago I tested and it dropped to 7.4dkh. I bumped up to dose an additional 4.5ml of 2 part and last night my alk was down to 7dkh.
I'm going to try and find the time to recalibrate my dosing heads tonight and verify that I'm adding what I think I am. Otherwise, it looks like the system isn't too upset with me over the recent changes.

The only other thing to mention is that I have a few vermitid snails. I came across some discussions that CaCO3 can be used to get rid of them. My CaCO3 order came in this week and I did the first add on Tuesday. My plan is to add it daily for a month and see if any Vermitids either cast out a web or if I get any new ones.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pictures this morning but I will give a quick update. Will all of the changes in my tank lately I have been keeping a close eye on alkalinity. I figured my consumption would drop since I broke a few corals and changed out light fixtures. Instead, the opposite has happened. Before the changes my Alk was stable at 7.7dkh. 4 days ago I tested and it dropped to 7.4dkh. I bumped up to dose an additional 4.5ml of 2 part and last night my alk was down to 7dkh.
I'm going to try and find the time to recalibrate my dosing heads tonight and verify that I'm adding what I think I am. Otherwise, it looks like the system isn't too upset with me over the recent changes.

The only other thing to mention is that I have a few vermitid snails. I came across some discussions that CaCO3 can be used to get rid of them. My CaCO3 order came in this week and I did the first add on Tuesday. My plan is to add it daily for a month and see if any Vermitids either cast out a web or if I get any new ones.
Whatchoo talkin' 'bout willis!!!! What is this vermit cure you speak of?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatchoo talkin' 'bout willis!!!! What is this vermit cure you speak of?
I came across a thread or two where people said that they were using CaCO3 for reasons other than Vermitids. However, after a month or so, they noticed all of the Vermitids had died. I have a very small number in my tank but they are spreading so figured I would try it myself. I'm going to do my best to document my findings.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Page 26, I shall continue tomorrow.
Wow, you are a glutton for punishment! ;Bookworm;Blackeye

Recalibrated my dosing pumps. My kalk was around 18% off so that may be one reason for the drop in alk. It isn't enough to account for all of it and I don't know how long it has been off for. But, its accurate now so should be good to go.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell me more about the CaCO3 for vermitid snails?
I wish I could. A member of R2R reported that he and some members of his reef club started dosing CaCO3 for other reasons and after a month, they all realized their vermitid's had died.

I have no real understanding of the how. No solid dosing instructions. Only this observation and a few others. Since it should be safe to use, I figured I would give it a try. To say I'm winging it on this would be an understatement.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could. A member of R2R reported that he and some members of his reef club started dosing CaCO3 for other reasons and after a month, they all realized their vermitid's had died.

I have no real understanding of the how. No solid dosing instructions. Only this observation and a few others. Since it should be safe to use, I figured I would give it a try. To say I'm winging it on this would be an understatement.
Keep us updated on your progress I have a bunch of live rock in a brute can for a future build that is full of vermitid snails.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back