Brew's 187g slice of the ocean

alexiowa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if you're going to build a canopy or maybe a floating shelf to hang your lights from? I hung my lights from the ceiling so I could transfer fish and coral from my old tank while I built my new canopy. I have chinese boxes and t5's in the hood that I want to hide if it's going to look good unlike your awesome looking set up.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if you're going to build a canopy or maybe a floating shelf to hang your lights from? I hung my lights from the ceiling so I could transfer fish and coral from my old tank while I built my new canopy. I have chinese boxes and t5's in the hood that I want to hide if it's going to look good unlike your awesome looking set up.
I have no intention of building a canopy. I had one on my old system to hide my black boxes and hated how hard it made maintenance. With this tank being 30" front to back I just couldn't make a canopy work and still be able to clean the sand bed. I wasn't able to get the tank as close to the wall as I wanted so I may end up hanging my lights from the ceiling yet. The lights need to come forward another 4" to center them on the tank and I can't find arms long enough.

Glad you like the setup so far!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! How are liking the gyres?
Love them so far. Much nicer, more even flow through the tank. I need time to play around with the settings to see how I want to run them long term. I really like how high up on the sides of the tank they can go.

Of course, the proof will be in how any coral I add to the system respond.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some advice in case you ever do?
Make sure you line up plenty of help, and not just for moving the big equipment (college kids may not be the best choice).
Make sure you have large containers for any water you want to reuse and the new water you intend to add. 5 gallon buckets.... umm... after lifting over 3000 pounds of water in 3 gallon buckets... ouch.
Towels.. I thought the 6 cheap towels I had was going to be enough. Ended up washing and drying them 3 times over the course of 36 hours. Need lots of towels! And no, despite what the commercials imply, Bounty paper towels mean nothing to an aquarium move!
Heaters... I wish I had picked up redundant heaters. Took a long time to heat the water warm enough for me to add the rock. Heaters are cheap all things considered.
Motrin. Keep plenty handy for the day or 2 after. Even had I not tried to do it all myself this would still have been necessary.
@Brew12 grabs a roll of soggy paper towels. He lifts them high in the air fist clenched. The cold salt water drips drains through his tight fingers, sliding down his forearm, dripping consistently off of his elbow back onto the floor. His gaze travels from the tank, to the floor, to his foot, up his pants, stomach, his leaky elbow, the water main of a forearm, and finally to the beat red tired hand. His face contorts to something akin of a mental patient, anger, disgust, bitterness, madness, with a unnerving hint of glee at his own undoing. He begins to speak, nothing comes out at first, his lips parched and cracked. It's as if all the moisture in the room has been concentrated into that very paper towel he has there in his hands, and then exploded out everywhere, aside from where it is supposed to be. Finally with all his might and rage he bellows out, "YOU LIED"

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know all about moving 5 gal buckets, just today I had to carry 1200 gallons of oil in 5 gal buckets down 4 flights of stairs, it felt like it was never going to end.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Brew! My back hurts just thinking about you moving water that way.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know all about moving 5 gal buckets, just today I had to carry 1200 gallons of oil in 5 gal buckets down 4 flights of stairs, it felt like it was never going to end.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

It ended!!?!?!?!?

Looks great Brew! My back hurts just thinking about you moving water that way.

Thanks!
And never doing this again. If I ever go through another move/tank change I'm rigging a hose up to my mixing station.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my CuC refreshed and added Chaeto to my fuge. Oh.. and had to hang the light over my fuge and program the controls for it.

I really need to build the doors for my stand soon. That pink glow will get annoying after a few days! Just not enough hours in a day.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am stuck with no time to build my stand enclosure, but I have found blackout felt from Amazon with icommand strips works awesome in the interim. No light leak and I have had it up since July.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am stuck with no time to build my stand enclosure, but I have found blackout felt from Amazon with icommand strips works awesome in the interim. No light leak and I have had it up since July.
You are dangerous! If I did that I may never get my doors built! I need the motivation! :p

I have plans to do some woodworking this weekend and I should be able to knock out the doors in a day. Another day or 2 for the poly and I should have them on by the middle of next week. Not sure how much of the decorative trim I'll get done, but that is less important.

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A hose would have worked...

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here is the most recent FTS. Rocks on the left still need more work.
FTS2.JPG

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the contrast between "massive" and "open" - gonna be a cool tank!

~Bruce
Thanks Bruce. I want to make sure that the fish have plenty of shelter to reduce stress but still have the open swimming areas where I can see them better. Once I get some coral going and a few more fish (I blame @Humblefish ) I think this will be my dream system.

Speaking of stress.... it has been over a week since the great tear down and rebuild. I'm thinking if I have no signs of Ich at this point my system is truly cryptocaryon free.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas parties the last 2 nights have cut into my tank/posting time. Not sure I'll do much of an update tonight but I'll try to get one in. 16 new corals delivered from WWC yesterday so I'm starting to restock.

dustint21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas parties the last 2 nights have cut into my tank/posting time. Not sure I'll do much of an update tonight but I'll try to get one in. 16 new corals delivered from WWC yesterday so I'm starting to restock.

That’s really not fair! You could have left the last part out! We need pics of the wwc goodies!!!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back