Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to see the Mandarin!
Unfortunately, The tank she is in is tucked away in a place where I can hardly reach it, let alone take a picture. I couldn't even mount the filter on the wide part of the tank, either side. It had to go on the narrow end. It would be nearly impossible to get a good photo.

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, The tank she is in is tucked away in a place where I can hardly reach it, let alone take a picture. I couldn't even mount the filter on the wide part of the tank, either side. It had to go on the narrow end. It would be nearly impossible to get a good photo.
Dang haha. Alright that's fair ;)

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know.. I know.. horrible about my updates. I promise, I've been busy. I do have something to share. Just got my test results back from a new company that is doing testing called Oceamo in Austria. Not sure if they are commercially available yet, mine was done as part of a promotion. Overall I'm very pleased. I took my GFO reactor off line 2 or 3 weeks ago, so in good shape there. Also have dosed some iodine, but likely not enough. I'll need to keep a closer eye on that. Not sure if I even have Boron in a trace element, so that will take some research, too.
upload_2018-11-16_13-53-23.png

upload_2018-11-16_13-53-58.png

upload_2018-11-16_13-54-36.png

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I struggle so much getting Anthias through QT. I have a feeling I will lose one more before I am done. One way or another, this is it for me. :(

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry :(
Thank you. It's been a rough night. I just lost my little female Mandarin, also. But, its ok. I'll have another margarita or two, curl up next to my amazing wife, and life will be just fine again tomorrow.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't get discouraged. You know as well as anyone, it happens. I'm very sorry, but kuddos to your wife for being sweet and supportive.
I know. And as hard as I try, I have my losses too. Which is why I felt the need to share. People should realize that fish are hard to get through QT. Especially anthias. I am likely to lose one more that didn't ship well. I do think I'll end up with 5 healthy ones in my DT which would still be a major win for me.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see this @Brew12 :(:(

That is a real bummer Brew.

I appreciate your honesty. Sometimes less experienced reefers (like me) think you guys never have failures or losses.
Thank you guys.

That is why I feel it is important to share. I absolutely hate QTing fish. It's a lot of work. It's stressful on me and on the fish. And worst of all, it isn't always successful. I only bring myself to do it because of the end results in my DT. I have lost very few fish in my DT.

In 2 years of keeping marine fish I crushed a royal gramma while rearranging rock. I lost an orchid dottyback when it ate a newly introduced porcelain crab and it couldn't pass the shell material. I have lost a coral beauty and a yellow tang to aggression and I couldn't catch them until they were beyond saving. A 2nd yellow tang was pretty large when I got it and it slowly stopped eating and became less active after I had had him a year. Possibly old age. Then there were the 3 anthias that died within two weeks of putting them in the DT. No idea.

I have had a Hippo tang, Convict tang, Kole tang, Magnificent Foxface, 4 yellow tailed damsels, 2 clowns, and a Starry Blenny for over 1 1/2 years. The 2 yellow tangs have been with me for over 6 months. I feel most hobbyists would love to have those results. For me, corals can come and go, but I remember every fish.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys.

That is why I feel it is important to share. I absolutely hate QTing fish. It's a lot of work. It's stressful on me and on the fish. And worst of all, it isn't always successful. I only bring myself to do it because of the end results in my DT. I have lost very few fish in my DT.

In 2 years of keeping marine fish I crushed a royal gramma while rearranging rock. I lost an orchid dottyback when it ate a newly introduced porcelain crab and it couldn't pass the shell material. I have lost a coral beauty and a yellow tang to aggression and I couldn't catch them until they were beyond saving. A 2nd yellow tang was pretty large when I got it and it slowly stopped eating and became less active after I had had him a year. Possibly old age. Then there were the 3 anthias that died within two weeks of putting them in the DT. No idea.

I have had a Hippo tang, Convict tang, Kole tang, Magnificent Foxface, 4 yellow tailed damsels, 2 clowns, and a Starry Blenny for over 1 1/2 years. The 2 yellow tangs have been with me for over 6 months. I feel most hobbyists would love to have those results. For me, corals can come and go, but I remember every fish.
I totally understand. When I lost my fish the percula clowns were 11 years old, the queen angel was 6 years old, flame hawk was 5, yellow watchman goby was 9, Yellowtail damsel was 5. Off hand I can not remember the rest. Lost way more when I was very new to marine fish keeping.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand. When I lost my fish the percula clowns were 11 years old, the queen angel was 6 years old, flame hawk was 5, yellow watchman goby was 9, Yellowtail damsel was 5. Off hand I can not remember the rest. Lost way more when I was very new to marine fish keeping.
That is incredibly impressive! I can only hope to have that kind of long term success!

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 21 16.5%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 54 42.5%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 17 13.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 5.5%
Back