OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monti out of your tank Brew. On my list.
If shipping wasn't ludicrous I'd send you a piece! I have a beautiful green and orange one. I dislike my purple and one of my green ones.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the monti caps. The ones that are plating don't do anything for me. Especially the purple one since it is almost the same color as the coralline algae.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with Blue Zoo Aquatics. They are a pretty good supplier imo.

I have had great experiences with BlueZooAquatics. Underrated vendor.

EDIT: or just unknown by many perhaps.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My battle with Alkalinity testing continues. Haven't made a standard to test them with yet and that should be a big help. If I read the salifert test right when the color starts to change it lines up fairly well with the Hanna checker. Right now, that is about 8.4. The KH Director was reading 7.6dKH but I added a 10% offset to the displayed number so it is in line with these other two tests.
upload_2018-11-20_11-9-57.png

At least I have 3 tests reading the same even if I don't know the accuracy.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that Director is doing what it is supposed to do.
I might have missed the posts, but have you set it up for measuring only or is the doser connected?
Just measuring for now. Now that I can compare it to my Hanna checker to see how consistant the reading stays I will likely let it run for another month or two before letting it control anything.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just measuring for now. Now that I can compare it to my Hanna checker to see how consistant the reading stays I will likely let it run for another month or two before letting it control anything.

“Someone” has “control” issues and is afraid to let go!

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make or buy a reference sample, the kh accuracy/ inaccuracy is doing my head in lol! ;)
I know.. I know... I'm slacking. GHL has an Alk standard but it won't be available in the US for a few more weeks. BRS may start carrying one in the near future. I've been too lazy to track down one from a different vendor or make my own. ;Sorry

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't let the numbers control you! My KHD has never matched my tests kits and I have to make myself not care, but consistency is all I shoot for.

Have you replaced the wear parts on your KHD? I did mine a couple weeks ago on the 1/3 pumps since they do most of the work. It had been about 8 months...

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't let the numbers control you! My KHD has never matched my tests kits and I have to make myself not care, but consistency is all I shoot for.

Have you replaced the wear parts on your KHD? I did mine a couple weeks ago on the 1/3 pumps since they do most of the work. It had been about 8 months...
I have not yet, but I do check the calibration every few weeks. I keep a stash of wear parts in a drawer. It's the only issue I have with the Doser 2.1. The wear parts tend to wear quickly.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have taken pictures today, but I didn't. I thought 5 of the anthias were going to make it into the tank. Anthias hate me. One of them jumped out of my transfer container and landed on the floor. I got it back in the container almost immediately, but it had badly injured itself. It died almost 5 minutes later. Not sure why I have such bad luck with anthias. I've had fish hit the floor before with no issues. Guess we will see how the remaining 4 do.
On a separate note, My moonlights are well into effect and I just saw a berghia nudibranch climbing the glass on the tank. Not sure where he is going since there are plenty of appy's on the sand/rock and I don't see any on the glass. Nice to know they are still out hunting. Very cool to see.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back