Brightwell Razor Experience

Dhaleillama

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. My 10 yr old powder blue tang does not appreciate tangs or fox faces. I've had to bring a few back to the LFS after being tormented and have chosen to stick with the PB :) even though he's a terrible algae eater (unless it comes in sheets).
id be grumpy with new friends at that age too its ok lol

NicolasToro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a lot of info on this product so i thought i should share my experience.
Had a really bad case of GHA in my reef and felt like the battle was never gonna end. Went to my LFS and was told Razor was the solution. Didnt wanted to add any chemical but gha kept coming back so i gave it a try.
did the treatment as intructed in the bottle just a little less than recomended.
GHA started to die off as well as bubble algae. After some serious brushing and water change the tank was free of algae one month later.
the product did work for me but the chaeto suffered and some corals didnt liked it.
now i have a cyano problem but i guess thats reefing.
cheers

Moe K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few weeks and some rebound with the corals, I started dosing Marine Razor slightly less than the instructions suggested. My LPS don't like it. Hammers, Elegance and Acans are retracted for hours after a dose. I've probably lost a Gonastrea and a smaller Hydnophora frag ... That said, it seems to work. It made a solid dent in the GHA. I've been maintenance dosing 10-12ml every 3rd day with a tiny water change (5g) in between to vacuum off the substrate and rock. I'm also changing out the filter sock daily. Most things seem to be surviving the treatment. There is still too much GHA. I'm going to add MicroBater Clean and 7 to the mix - this could get ugly. I plan to test phosphates (Hana) and nitrates (Salifert) daily and dose as necessary to keep in the 0.04-0.08 and 8-15ppm ranges respectably.

Fingers crossed I can get the GHA down to a maintainable level.

FWIW, the Razor looks suspiciously like the flocculant I add to my swimming pool each spring when opening it.
I know I am late to the thread but this seems to be the only one I found specifically on the results of razor. How did your treatment go? What were your results in no3/po4 testing along with ph during the treatment?

I have had many tanks and always just lived with a little bit of bubble algae but my current tank has had an explosion of them (thousands of bubble algae spread through out) and my emerald crabs can not keep up. I also got thick turf algae. Now I am completely considering to venture where I would never go with a product like razor.

I have read many reports and seems almost split down the middle where 50% loose corals and another 50% have no loss. I am thinking this is caused by a lack of testing nutrients during the treatment. I can only imagine that po4 and nitrates will have a huge spike in the mass dying off of any algae. I also read reports that razor will lower ph. This may be why Brightwell also recommends running microbacter7 along with the treatment. Another question is can you run gfo during the treatment to maintain a balance in po4 without stripping the treatment?

Sorry, lots of questions. If we can get closer to the answers of why some loose corals and some have complete success than we can get closer to a product with safer dosing instructions.

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I am late to the thread but this seems to be the only one I found specifically on the results of razor. How did your treatment go?
I can’t speak for others, but I’ll chime in with an update as the OP. Eventually, all the algae came back. So in the end, I just caused harm. Razor went in the trash along with anything else. It’s been so long since I’ve done this, I’ve done other things to control the algae. 1) I completely redid my rockwork. The main reason for this was so I could more easily remove the rocks, and scrub the algae off. 2) I’ve stopped adding chemicals to my tank. I think the only thing I’d use ever again would be reef flux - but even then, it’d have to be a desperate bryopsis infestation. 3) I added significantly more CUC to my tank. Shout out to my urchin workhorse.

IPT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t speak for others, but I’ll chime in with an update as the OP. Eventually, all the algae came back. So in the end, I just caused harm. Razor went in the trash along with anything else. It’s been so long since I’ve done this, I’ve done other things to control the algae. 1) I completely redid my rockwork. The main reason for this was so I could more easily remove the rocks, and scrub the algae off. 2) I’ve stopped adding chemicals to my tank. I think the only thing I’d use ever again would be reef flux - but even then, it’d have to be a desperate bryopsis infestation. 3) I added significantly more CUC to my tank. Shout out to my urchin workhorse.
Resurrecting an old thread - did the Bubble Algae come back too?

OP
OP
Kongar

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting an old thread - did the Bubble Algae come back too?
Yup. The tank is over three years old now, and all the algae came back except the bryopsis. Reef flux killed that off, and imo is the only chemical that performed its job in the long term. I’ve completely stopped using all algae control, dinox, razor, vibrant, whatever. Algae control is performed by my tuxedo urchin. I feed my fish only twice a week now and my parameters are perfect - and I STILL get quite a bit of algae growth. I just decided to live with it - it’s just how my tank is. Corals are healthy, fish are healthy, I manually remove the algae as best I can during water changes. But it’s impossible to eliminate.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back