OP
OP
johnston

johnston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol yes I know that but live is always better not sure how to set up a brine tank wanted to see how one is set up with success to see if its worth the hassle

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The enriched frozen brine is better than live brine. Brine isn't a nutritious food for fish. I would only use live brine if i had a fish not eating.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
joey's a goof ball but here you go

+1

Although I don’t have any BBS set up at the moment, I have used this setup and the inverted 2 liter bottles with the plastic stands

Some fry are attracted to, and even require, the movement of live foods to trigger their feeding response.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New born brine shrimp are an excellent food for any tiny fish. I hatched them almost every day for 30 years for my pipefish, new born fish and mandarins.

I used this hatchery that I designed. It hatches the shrimp in about 36 hours and seperates the shrimp from the shells.

Then I put them in the feeder I designed.

All these fish are spawning. The pipes, ruby reds and mandarins.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New born brine shrimp are an excellent food for any tiny fish. I hatched them almost every day for 30 years for my pipefish, new born fish and mandarins.

I used this hatchery that I designed. It hatches the shrimp in about 36 hours and seperates the shrimp from the shells.

+1
Freshly hatched BBS are good food, also you can enrich them yourself by adding some selcon to the water if they're ~24 hours or more old, by then they will have used up their egg sacks. I hatch BBS nightly for breeding Banggais. I leave the BBS culture to hatch for 24 hours then after separating from the egg shells I drop some selcon into the water and consider it ready to feed 12 hours later. They will hatch faster than that depending on heat but that's what works for my schedule and even if it was a little cold they'll all be hatched. Before I started enriching the BBS I would always loose one or two of the fry, sometimes more. But since I started enriching with selcon I have not lost a single one.

I use a similar setup to the King of DIY video and use a light to attract them to the bottom of the container in order to separate them from the shells that float.

Last edited:

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can you give me a run through of how your hatchery works?

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hatch brine shrimp twice a day. I use diy hatcheries. I have just never seen a design like @Paul B, and was curious how it works.
EEFA9802-03D2-4E40-B816-E5C387C9A11F.jpeg

Octo clownfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I breed clownfish and do not use BBS anymore I go from rotifers straight to TDO with an overlap of the two. If you do use BBS then you should feed them to your fish with 24hours after hatching as this is the time that they are MOST nutritious with their yoke sacks still nice and full. As the BBS age past the 24 hour mark they use up a lot of the egg yoke they are born with and become less of a nutritional value to whatever you are feeding.

I agree that @Paul B. That hatchery is interesting and I do not believe Ive ever seen one. How does it work?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Piggy backing on PaulB's and Octo's info...

Newly hatched brine shrimp are fantastic nutrition but their value as a food source declines quickly. Keeping them and raising them as a sole food source isn't a fantastic idea and you will need to do a batch every 24 hours. If your fish need a live food source then do it! Other suggestions for good food sources are white worms and clams from the grocery store.

Honestly unless you do a hatchery setup and need a live food source I wouldn't bother.

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I’ve been feeding hatched brine shrimp every 3 days. I’m really impressed with the effect on corals!

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hatch brine shrimp everyday and my fish are fat and healthy. They love going after the fresh live food, plus they get flake and frozen

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back