Broadfield

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***walks away, head down, kicking rocks***

The nice thing is that Robert said I would/could have final say on the editing of everything. So I'll make sure to get R2R in there!!!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The nice thing is that Robert said I would/could have final say on the editing of everything. So I'll make sure to get R2R in there!!!!

Robert, Jeff and the whole crew over at MD are good folks! Happy for you man!!

johnlicht46

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on the tank this evening... caught someone laying down on the job lol.

IMG_7178 by Toby Broadfield, on Flickr

My clowns used to host my gonipora! Untill the tank crashed.
IMG_9381.JPG

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL! yes!

Themako1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any chance of the reactors falling if they are suspended without any support underneath?

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any chance of the reactors falling if they are suspended without any support underneath?

I have 100% faith in them holding without issue. The acrylic top of the reactor is pretty beefy. The PVC adapter that is used on the top is it actually held on by a nut on the inside of the reactor.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

imjedi76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 100% faith in them holding without issue. The acrylic top of the reactor is pretty beefy. The PVC adapter that is used on the top is it actually held on by a nut on the inside of the reactor.

Which PVC adapter are you using? does it come with a nut from aquamaxx?

Coidy92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would also like to know which adapter you used as my reactor has a barbed inlet and outlet but I would like to fit to hard pvc piping instead of flexible

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would also like to know which adapter you used as my reactor has a barbed inlet and outlet but I would like to fit to hard pvc piping instead of flexible

I'm simply using 1/2" MPT x 1/2" SLIP adapter.

http://www.pvcfittingsonline.com/836-005-1-2-schedule-80-pvc-male-adaptor.html

The AquaMaxx reactor uses barbed fittings that have the 1/2" thread on the bottom... so it's simply two "nuts" that hold them on. However, the barbed fittings have a hexagon base that flush mounts down into the top of the AquaMaxx reactor. They use an o-ring to make the seal. Since the PVC adapter will not have the same hexagon base on it, it will not seat into the top of the reactor lid. Therefor creating a slight gap below the PVC adapter. I solved this by simply stacking two o-rings to make the seal. I don't remember the size of the o-ring, but I can try find out when I get home. EDIT: It looks as though I used one size when I did my first manifold and a different size on my new manifold. However, they are two neighboring sizes... so they are REALLY close to being the same. And neither setup has leaked using the same AquaMaxx reactors. Those sizes are the following:

• I.D. of 11/16" with an O.D. of 7/8" with a thickness of 3/32"
  • I.D. of 3/4" with an O.D. of 15/16" with a thickness of 3/32"
I highly recommend getting an o-ring kit to have around the house. They are cheap and will come in handy more than you might think. I have both the standard and metric kits:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...ovQzQEjtlDsvetAmqpCN8Cmo_l0Z2ovP_fxoCB0jw_wcB

Last edited:

imjedi76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm simply using 1/2" MPT x 1/2" SLIP adapter. The AquaMaxx reactor uses barbed fittings that have the 1/2" thread on the bottom... so it's simply two "nuts" that hold them on. However, the barbed fittings have a hexagon base that flush mounts down into the top of the AquaMaxx reactor. They use an o-ring to make the seal. Since the PVC adapter will not have the same hexagon base on it, it will not seat into the top of the reactor lid. Therefor creating a slight gap below the PVC adapter. I solved this by simply stacking two o-rings to make the seal. I don't remember the size of the o-ring, but I can try find out when I get home.

I am planning to hard plumb 1 aquamaxx to a manifold and daisy chain it to another with a union in between for gfo and carbon so I will need to do what you did to get rid of the barbed fitting. have you had any issues with leaks?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, thanks man! I still have some little things to do before I can take "big boy" pics... hopefully soon.

Robert @ Marine Depot just messaged me and informed me that they want to do a tank profile video of my setup. So I'll be taking a lot of photos and video for that... I'm pretty excited about it. Especially since I'm a pretty new reefer in the grand scheme of things... I'm really happy with the outcome of my tank so far.

wow...congrats...that's very cool!

OP
OP
Broadfield

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have mentioned it somewhere way back when in the thread and i missed it, but what may you switch from the Prime lights? Outstanding tank by the way!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 55 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back